Never get a warranty on your appliances

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by hihosilver, Oct 15, 2016.

1. hihosilver

hihosilver New Member

More a comment here.

I purchased a HP laptop from the Good Guys about 13months ago. I also purchased the extended warrant at about $200.00 thinking if I ever have a crash or something else happen it would save me on the parts and labor costs.

Anyhow, my hard drive crashed and when I handed it to them to fix they said I should get it back within about 10 days at the most with a new hard drive, no worries, no problems and this is why you have this extended 3 year fantastic warranty.

It's now beyond a month now. The GG's are passing the buck onto the warranty guys, the warranty guys are passing the buck on to HP and the circle is a merry go round.

I did consult my IT friend at the beginning and he said it would have been about a 2 hour job with a hard drive about $200.00 so I'd be saving on that so, get the warranty to resolve the problem.

I have looked at the fine print in the T&C's and it states if it doesn't come back within 30 days I should be able to receive a new laptop from the GG's

BUT - they said the 30 day period only begins when HP guys decided to work on it which was after many phone calls to them asking where is it? They said they only started working on it about 10 days ago. They also inform me that if I want the faulty hard drive to come back with it, it would cost me $200.00
    I wanted this back simply because of all the sensitive information on it which now is possibly floating around Asia :rolleyes: I wanted to smash the hard drive myself or possible see if my IT friend could salvage something back. I tried to see reason with them but no reasoning was returned.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Any legal suggestions here guys? I mean any fair trading grounds ? In the end, I'm still going to bag The GG's, and HP on every social media site from here to the eternity at every chance I get hoping to educate others not to step foot into this trap.

My advice is never take out warranty on computer related things. I think white goods yes a warranty would suffice but never never computer IT shit.

2. Kooka

Kooka New Member

Your one and only mistake was buying HP. They would be last on my list of manufactures to buy any product......As for Good Guys, never had a problem with them.

I would in the first instance be contacting your state Consumer Affairs Dept for advice.

3. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's a 20 minute job and the drive cost is about $70. Go them hard at Fair Trading.

4. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

As far as I know, Good Guys sold therefore Good Guys problem. All electrical retailers try and pass the buck.

5. Silver_Dealar

Silver_Dealar Member

Interesting. I once got extended warranty for my GoPro at JB Hi-Fi. Something went wrong with the software. Next day walked into the store, walked out two minutes later with a brand new Go Pro and a couple of free accessories for my trouble.

6. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Are you a cute blonde female with a large chest?

7. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Or a shoplifter? ;)

8. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

make a short video rant.

Find the email of GC Ceo and Aussie area boss of HP and email them a link to Vimeo clip that you opened with a new Gmail account with the name like Good guys screwed me. Or Hewlett Packard are a pack of liars.

worked wonders for me with a faulty Kambrook toaster.

9. 2ds

2ds New Member

The hdd issue around getting your data back in pretty normal, you wont see the drive again unless you ask and you're lucky.

If you buy extended warranty on a computer it should probably be directly with the manufacturer, HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc will usually offer to sell you up to five years if you want to pay.

10. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Extended warranties are a scam/worthless, especially on second hand cars!

11. hihosilver

hihosilver New Member

cheers guys

12. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

legally not much you can do considering they have tried to sort out the issue.

It's easy to say "don't buy HP" but that's an outdated opinion, the laptops we use at work don't overheat and they have western digital hard drives out of the box.
    anyway For future reference, harddrive and ram is generally very easily accessible on laptops. There will be a panel on the backside you can unscrew, pull out the dodgy part and replace - 10 minute job max.

Say what you want about HP, they don't make their products impossible to open like Apple.

13. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I got a HP laptop that I use everyday and I never had a problem with it since I got it 4 years ago.

14. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

The only extended warranties worth considering are those provided by the manufacturer.

Third party warranties are a great money earner for the retailer - that's why they push them so much