2015 Silver Pandas

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Silverjoe, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Silverjoe

Silverjoe New Member

Was wondering what people thought of the 2015 Chinese Silver Pandas that don't have the fineness or weight stamped on the coin. I bought some last year and not sure what to make of them? What do some of you think? Do you think they will be a hard sell when the time comes because of this?

Or do I have it totally wrong and they are unique in that it's the only year they did this and there is a limited amount, making them more valuable eventually down the road?

2. HotlineBling

HotlineBling New Member

My guess is sellers market will be limited to collectors specifically looking for the coin, as many people who casually bought pandas year after year boycotted the 2015 Panda for the omission of the information you mentioned. For referenced search in youtube 2015 pandas and watch a couple of vids. I also have a couple of these coins and it just looks strange without the weight and purity, kinda too plain it almost looks fake. All this is just opinion not fact.

3. chrissilver

chrissilver Member Silver Stacker

I think this. But I haven't checked mintage figures and compared to the previous year.

4. JNS

JNS Active Member Silver Stacker

I got few of them, i will preserve and keep some for personal collection, probably sell in the future if necessary but i do not expect higher yields compared to the other year. Who knows probably getting valuable by being strange.

5. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

my biggest position in pandas is the 2015's because they are 1 off transition year.

There are 1 million of 1/20, 1/10, 1 oz and 800k in 1/4 and 1/2 denomination in gold. There is 8 million in silver. The 2016's kept the same mintage for silver and dropped the gold mintage to 600k across the board.

I like the 2015's because they don't have the weight and people avoided them. They are the last unmarked 1 oz panda and transition into the new design.

I doubt people will have issues with authenticity since collectors will know that 2015 was the only year they didn't have the denomination and the following year they moved to 30 grams vs the oz. I'm pretty sure people will know 2016 is the year 1.1g is missing and 2015 is ok and no spec.

6. whay

whay Well-Known Member

Agreed .I think both the 2015 and 2016 Panda will be recent key years coins. One without markings the other is the first Panda to go metric. Collectors of Sovereign and Panda are generally better informed. The lack of weight and purity on the 2015 should make them even more unique and collectable.

7. TasmaniaChrismy

TasmaniaChrismy Member

2013 - the only year with 3 Pandas
    2014 - the last year b4 transition
    2015 - the transition year with CLEAR distinction on the coin itself
    2016 - 1st year in grammes

Let's keep the above and see how high they would fly!!!

8. SilverSiren

SilverSiren Active Member

Done, although we got such a great deal on the 2013 pandas that we only have a few left now, flipping the other ones was irresistible LOL