Silver under $23 AU again. Is stacking starting to SUCK ?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by silversearcher, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

Stacking "starting" to suck?
    It "started" to suck half year ago!
    Now it "starts" to NOT suck! :D

2. silver kook

silver kook Active Member

Have you cheered up a little bit as it is now over $23?

3. Gullintanni

Gullintanni Well-Known Member

I just want to clarify my statement "people who say buy the dips really piss me off"
    The fact of the matter is i have been hearing this statement since the $50 highs of 2011 and i actually know people who listened to the gurus and bought when it dipped to $45 .
    Then they listened and bought the dip to $40 and bought the dip to $38 and $35 and guess what ?..............................They bought the dips all the way down to where we are today.
    It turned out these were in fact not dips BUT the correction back down to a realistic price.
    I bought in the highs and sold in the highs for profit and things worked out ok for me so i have continued this practice.
    It is easy to read about these people that listened to the "gurus" and "bought the dips" and lost heaps of money and say that they were silly or that they will learn from the experience, but i can tell you in practice that for those that invested much money they will not learn a lesson as they were wiped out financially and do not get a second chance.
    I also know people (acquaintances at coin club,so not close friends) that are still holding their $40-$50 silver as they can not bring themselves to cash out as they have brought into the other "guru" point of IF YOU DO NOT SELL THEN YOU HAVEN"T LOST ANYTHING.
    I didn't mean to offend anyone with my disdain for those preaching buy the dips , i just happen to know that in practice people suffer and i know some of these people as friends and social acquaintances.

4. Fat Penguin

Fat Penguin Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^ If Gullintanni was a dinosaur he would be a Diplodocus.......

5. Pirocco

What I don't get is why these topics under $dropping ... starting to suck? etc appear in a downtrend.
    Logically, I'd expect them in an uptrend.
    Silver more expensive, less to add to the stack for the dollars, that I would call "sucking".

6. Gullintanni

They are my 3 year old's favourite dinosaur , except we call them long necks.

7. Pirocco

Yea it's like he lives on a mountain, it's all highs and highs and profit, with the word "dip" only existing for the other dinos.

8. Gullintanni

I lose in gambling sometimes but silver and gold are not gambling if you roll your stack over frequently.
    Its a bit like food prepping.
    You do not just buy tins of beans and sit them in a cupboard till you need them as they can go bad.
    Silver and gold are the same, you sell some when prices go a bit higher and replace them when prices come down and your stock stays good.
    If you just buy the dips but never sell you could be waiting decades (or never) get your full investment back let alone profit.

9. Ronnie 666

Ronnie 666 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Most stackers don't buy for $1-$2 move up or down. If you do then you are a trader. Do I care if silver goes down $2 ? Yes because then I buy more. Do I care if silver goes up $2 - yes because I stop buying. When do I sell ? Good question. Probably not for the next few years. If you have invested wisely you should have other assets including some cash. Why do I need to sell at stupidly low prices - That is the question you need to answer.

10. silversearcher

silversearcher Active Member Silver Stacker

This is the best comment in the thread. And so true for those who bought on the dips all the way down from the highs. Yep it's good if you can time the low and buy a lot of bullion and sell the entire lot on a high. This would take some remarkable timing but most people don't do that. Silver has pretty much flatlined for many years. I know in some countries the premiums are less than in Australia, so some don't understand the massive loss incurred on point of sale. With backorders it's not too far off from a ponzi scheme. You are wasting your breath and so am I trying to get this lot understand buying silver when it has flatlined and has fallen from the such highs to lows is a disaster for many. They just don't get it ! A kid with basic math - percentages, addition and subtraction gets it, but those with silver stars in their eyes don't. This lot are happier to have a negative geared return than a positive geared return....Sheeshhhhhh !!!!!

11. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well said! And I feel the same.

I'm not selling til silver is somewhere well over $100. ;) And it won't be long before it gets there in this current world enviroment. That's why I started stacking 2 and half years ago.

12. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

only question I have is who will be buying 100$ silver??

people who got their fingers burnt in 2011 have long memories :D

GS

13. NorrinRadd

NorrinRadd New Member

You could be forgiven for thinking you had commented on SilverSmallTraders.com.

My advice to you is very simple, and hopefully a reminder to a lot of other commentators on here as to why they started stacking.

Ask yourself why you started stacking, and why you continue to be interested in stacking silver. If it is because you want a secure store of wealth for some of your savings during a time of great uncertainty, when the worlds central banks are printing currency into negative interest, then i would say carry on stacking, and remember it is not the price of silver that is going up or down, it's the price of currency.

If on the other hand you are not a silver stacker, but a silver small trader then I would say sell your silver and go buy some bonds, because the chances are the markets going to pistol whip you.

On a final note i would say, take a long hard look at whats happening in the world. The global financial system is falling apart, and when it does there will be a reset, that reset can only be bullish for Pms. The question is not should you buy or not, the question you should be mindful of is, "How long do i have to accumulate this secure store of wealth"

14. NorrinRadd

NorrinRadd New Member

Anyone who bought in 2011 didn't buy the dips, they did what most lemmings do, and jumped on the bandwagon after the event. Now they attempt cover their poor investment skills in public, by rubbishing the value of stacking PMs.

15. raven

raven Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

hopefully when the market opens again after the chinese week off, it may rise to where it should be ........... I hope !

16. Gullintanni

I can gaurantee it will go up or down.
    I have NO doubt silver will spike again and be worth $50+ an ozt, the only thing is WHEN?
    And after the big run up will we be the smart ones and sell and then if the price drops again buy back in and replace what we had for less.

17. masmas

masmas New Member

Yes, so I guess it is best to buy this week ?

[​IMG]

18. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

its the same old thing really when buying physical silver spot drops but prices don't drop as much on the coins/bars etc...

gold seems a better bet atm, for me silver is over priced.

GS

19. Noxx

Noxx Member

That's why I buy from the big companies on ebay. And only when they have a big sale of not much over spot. They drop the price a whole lot, then you get a big spot price drop and the listing is dynamically connected with spot prices so it adjusts every minute or so. A sale, and a huge spot price drop -= huge savings when you swoop in a bottom.

Personally I think People need to stop buying those premium bars and coins. The amount over spot and slowness to change with spot prices just makes them a rip off IMO.

20. masmas

masmas New Member

Cool, thanks for the sharing mate :cool: