Asian retirement

Discussion in 'Wealth Creation & Management' started by Maxwell, Jan 18, 2014.

1. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

I am not interested in Panama either and Costa Rica is getting expensive. Colombia is my leading candidate at the moment.

2. Ozi

Ozi Member

what about Singapore?

3. chrissilver

chrissilver Member Silver Stacker

Malaysia is very nice, kula lumpar is very developed with a mix of cultures from all around the world. Very clean. People are friendly. death penalty isn't so nice though, I would avoid the majority of Asian countries to retire to merely because of capital punishment there, wouldn't want to live in any country (at least long term) that has this.

4. petey

petey Active Member Silver Stacker

Cost of living is quite high for what most are looking for and residency isn't easy/cheap to get. EntrePass is probably the easiest way, I hope you're motivated!

5. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

They get the smoke from the sumatran forest fires
    Around march, as does KL.
    I'm looking around for a cool place in Indonesia.
    Bukkittingi in Sumatra suits, but had to wear a mask
    Some days last march.
    Lovely people.
    Cheap.
    Malang in java good also.
    KL , alot of english spoken.
    Phillipines seems to have too many guns.
    Too hot and humid in most of asia for me.

6. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Has nobody thought of Springvale? .in Victoria
    Everyone speaks English
    4 seasons a year,great shopping,cheap meals and very friendly people.
    Also no Guns!
    Soz couldn't resist
    And the Vietnamese rolls..To die for :D

REDBACK

7. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

8. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

I wouldnt worry too much about the gun issue in the philippines unless you are doing something wrong or hang out in the wrong places . In saying that they are everywhere in your day to day life here.
    There is guards everywhere in the streets in towns .Every shop with a decent take for the day has a guard with a handgun & many have shotguns hanging off them aswell. Its not uncommon to not go 100 metres & see another gun at times there is one every few shops i often wonder if they would actually fire because most are old & the ammunition they have on their belt is obviously years old with the brass tarnished from years of being in the belt. I wouldnt want to test them though .

Be prepared to be frisked everytime you go into a mall & at times you will go into a few in a day . Its a bit of a PIA getting frisked 3 or more times a day when shopping . There is usually 2 lanes a male & female .Sometimes me & the missus go through the wrong lane & for a giggle & they usually laugh because they are frisking same sex all day .So its not confronting when you get used to it & the guards are mostly friendly.

Its reasonably safe here .As usual treat any destination you dont know well with caution when your travelling . You will get to know where to go or not at what times .

There is probably more guns in the US than here .

Its actually not a bad place to live if you dont have to deal with beaurocracy.

Ive done a bit of building here & the process is lengthy & stressful at times with the eficiency of the episode i wrote about yesterday. You always have to wait in queues & go back & forth to offices several times for each thing & theres always another "requirement" You need to do most things yourself .Theres no "sure leave it with us & we will take care of it for you " they wont walk across the hall, thats there job & thats all they do ..

Most people are nice the food is good the drinks are cheap . The humidity is problem for pasty white guys .I would take that into consideration when thinking about living anywhere near the equator . Its all good when you go on holidays for a few weeks or a month but having to endure it endlessly can be a bit much at times .

9. renovator

10. renovator

Ok i had to renew my philippine licence today it took 3 hours & 4 different offices . transport dept , drug test (urine)& full 10 finger electronic fingerprint scan , medical & attorney (usually only 3 but i lost my old one & needed an affidavit of loss ) then had to leave & come back 3 hours later to pick it up .

I dont want to hear anybody whining when it takes more than 20 minutes in oz ever again :lol:

11. ShinyStuff

ShinyStuff New Member

Great thread... But some thoughts.
    1) if SHTF when I am in aust, then it is best to be with my friends and neighbours who can support me, and will allow me to support.
    2) if SHTF while I live OS then I am the "rich gringo" who is now a target and I have no friends and family who will band with me.
    3) when the global reset occurs, it will be so unlike we have known, I feel it will be better to be where I know. Sure, life will be hard.... But it will be for all Aussies. Esp working class ones like me. So, at least here I don't stand out.

So, while I think the retirement option is great, I am not a fan of the bug out to SEAsia option.

Thoughts??

Shiny.

12. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I don't know. We've never really had the luxury of witnessing economic social panic in Australia if it were to take place. We've really only got the great depression to draw any real comparison with and life in the 30s and the demographics of Australia back then were a lot different from what they are today. Who knows how people will react. In saying that I could think of a lot worse things than sitting under a mango tree in north queensland with a fishing line dangling in the water tied to my big toe waiting to catch some dinner.

13. long88

long88 Member

i would have thought that you would spend a couple of $$$ to save time ? just bribe the officer.. it is a "standard" procedure there, to make life easier for everyone. you will find out that after your money is working hard for you, everything is so easy and quick..

in indo.. i get my license done in 10 min, brand new license with all fake id, fake exam, fake everything.. just go there.. the guy ask me the address, take my picture, fingerprint scan. and wait for the license to be printed out. then i went home with my brand new license.

and it costs me $100, whilst the official price is about $5

14. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Article in the Daily Mail:

Promoting a book to be published on expat living in SE Asia.

This is the website - http://www.planet-boomer.com/

15. petey

petey Active Member Silver Stacker

What you forget is the difference in living standards pre and post "SHTF" in these scenarios.

If you have to grow your own food and scavenge, that's a stressful situation to be in when you were used to driving your Land Rover 1.4km down the road to the local fast food joint for a super sized "value meal" for dinner.

If you've lived in a country where rice and veggies is the norm, and SHTF and you're subject to eating, well rice and veggies, no big deal.

http://www.internationalman.com/articles/fear-of-going-abroad-part-3-the-locals

16. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Well-Known Member

17. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

With exception to the worsening air quality, China is also a nice place to be.

i) it's as expensive or as cheap as you want (live it up like a king, or live humbly like the locals).
    ii) very friendly to foreigners (unless you break some cardinal rules).
    iii) large English speaking population (inside the major cities).
    iv) Visas are relatively easy to obtain (working or holiday visas).
    v) relatively safe inside the major cities (not as safe as Singapore, but safer than many other Asian nations)

18. KevinTate

KevinTate New Member

Some detailes on how it works in Thailand property market:
    Foreign citizens can buy freehold apartments and register land to individuals but can only buy houses and villas on leasehold (30 years). The right to buy up to 1 rai (1,600 sq m) of land is granted for investments of no less than THB 40 million ($1.12M) into a project approved by local authorities. There are also limits on buying residential property in apartment buildings. During the construction of a residential unit in Thailand, the developer breaks the flats down into those that foreign nationals can register to individuals (not more than 49% of the surface area) and those registered to legal entities (51%). Therefore, foreign individuals are authorised to buy no more than 49% of all apartments in the building.