ANA Show Anaheim 50g Silver Panda (a first) Flash Sale

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by barsenault, Sep 29, 2016.

1. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

2. fltacoma

fltacoma Member

Do you think it will go up in price?

3. barsenault

Anyone's guess right? I certainly think $480.00 is the floor with a mintage of 625. I mean, the 1 oz PF69 with a mintage of 2000 is anywhere from $350 - 400.00. This is the first time the chinese mint has done a 50g panda. If I'm a betting man, I think it is an easy double. It sort of sucks that MCM has a horde, because they do what they do best, drive prices down. BUT, prior to them coming on the scene, these were hard to find, and I know a few sold for $1500.00. The 70's are going for 2999.00...

When I first saw the offering they had like 51 (about 2 hours ago), and now there are 29. I say they will be close to sell out, if not sold out come Oct 1st. And if there are any left, they will definitely reprice back to 1500.00, and won't come back down (from what I've seen in the past). But maybe one horde will go to another horde, Lol. Who knows, right. All I do know is, $480.00 is a super low price COMPARED to what they were selling for before MCM came on the scene. :)

4. SilverSiren

SilverSiren Active Member

I used to get so excited over releases like this because I generally do enjoy them a lot, but having been burned multiple different times with spots developing on these super special ultra low mintage crazy expensive proof coins, I'm done paying huge premiums for them. I'd rather buy them deep discounted after they "go bad" to still enjoy them as a collector LOL MCM is good about replacing coins you receive spotted (been there done that) but it's when they spot up almost a year later that the balloon deflation effect kicks in :(

5. barsenault

Yeah man, trust me, I know what you mean. I have lots of silver myself, and it is a tucked away in a facility where I have them tempture controlled, inside air-tite containers, and then I have them vacuum sealed, then I have moisture absorber packs, and a big moisture absorber unit inside each one of my containers, and yet I know there is is no guarantee. I really do like the LOOK of silver better than gold...as far as image on metal, but I always get so dang nervous about the white spots too, hence why most of my buying lately, which hasn't been much, has been gold (fractional). I just can't take the spotting issue. It really does suck! I wish some genius would figure out how to remove them once they are there, without damaging the coin. I can't believe with all the smart folks in the world, and all the technology available, someone hasn't been able to capitalize on this solution. It really is astounding. I'm just hoping by the time I go to retire, and need cash, if any of my stuff has spots or stains (white), in about 15 - 20 years someone has figured it out. Until then, I'm nuts about sealing them up. I did buy a few of the PF70's Moon Festival Silver 1 oz, and those bad boys are nice too...they've already doubled in price. But again, the spotting issue has me concerned. I can relate silversiren!!

Oh, and as far as the ANA Anaheim. I think this price is about as low deflation will take it. IMHO, these will shoot up to 1k, if not higher, and if and when it gets spots, you'll probably break even. I know some folks who were buying these at 1500.00. Crazy I know. But they were. They must be kicking themselves now. Lol. Or maybe they're dollar cost averaging? Who knows. But I do know that 480 for this thing, is crazy low. The 1 oz PF69 is going for like $350! They didn't even sell these 50g at the show in Anaheim. Anyway, my crazy opinion. I wish I had the $$$ I'd buy a slew of them. There are only like 13 left, and yesterday it started with over 50. Someone sees value.

6. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

7. SilverSiren

Your point about them being very hot right now and having good FLIPtential is well taken, but I would caution folks looking to flip, to do so quickly. Quick FLIPtential if you will.

8. barsenault

Hey SilverSiren, oh, I don't think these will be hot just for now. Like all the other ANA medals, they can appreciate in value over time. But, I do agree with you about the spots, so that is a concern.

Hey Andrew, too funny. everyone is capitalizing on the panda crazy. I hope that is good for the Panda world. :))

9. SilverSiren

Understood, so basically you consider this MCM deal a gamble where you could win big, and if you lose you would most likely end up breaking even. If this particular coin had major eye apeal to me like the moon pandas, I may just take the plunge but this design is just so so to me.

10. barsenault

yeah, the moon Panda is really nice. I heard someone from China bought 150K of the PF70's 1 oz from Govtmint, and wiped them clean. It looks like those PF70's have already doubled in price (?).

Keep an eye on this ANA 50g, and see where prices go. Lol. I know I'll be disappointed because I wish I could buy some, and I'll be sitting on the sidelines watching. But fun to share info. Fun to guess at where prices go. I believe 1000 - 1500 for these in short order. Although, I do have some moon pandas. I like those a lot!!

11. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Mintage too high

12. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

That is some heavy duty stuff for stocking silver. :O :O :O :) I wish I have something similar.

I pack them in Coin Armour bags (if coin means something more to me I use 2 or 3 bags), vacuum seal them (hopefully plastic bags are good) and most of them I have stored in dry environment. I think I would need to replace Silica gels more often.

I also bought ammo box recently.

Interestingly though that some Mexican coins I bought some years ago look in perfect conditions whereas some coins developed milk spots, despite all protection. :/

Sorry guy for offtopic!

13. Stark

Damn I'm sorry I didn't buy any of these 50g coins. :/ It seems they sold some of them for almost 1500$. This might be one of the biggest missed opportunities of the year for me. But my budget is completely shit currently.

Bah.

14. barsenault

Yeah, but even at $490, they weren't cheap, you know? And for a show medal it is a low mintage piece at 625 mintage. Very low. But compared to the low mintage Nanjing, Expo Panda, Lunar Panda, Phoenix & Dragon, it is somewhat of a high mintage piece. I try to limit my collectibles to mintage of about 1000 mintage, max. Although, I did buy a 1 oz ANA Anaheim PF70 piece because the price seemed too good to pass up, and it went into the treasure box. And I also bought a few of the Moon Festival PF70 at 99.00 (one for Andy too - he'll love it when he sees it in person - lol), it was too good to pass up. And now they're going for $179.00, and I spoke with the owner of MCM last week, and they will be increasing their price to 199.00 soon. And that too is a high mintage piece (5000), but the price was in line with it being so high. So, you roll the dice on pieces and hope to win. It really is sad that we have to worry about spots on these beautiful pieces, isn't it? Really sad, indeed!!

15. Stark

You are right, it's still not cheap. And I'm 100% sure I couldn't sell them for same price as MCM. If nothing else, I would pay quite some for eBay fees. I will be watching what will happen with price in the future. I wonder what people will do when (if) they figure out they bought them for 1,5k$ on eBay, when MCM was selling them for 490$.

It's always easy to get caught in initial hype. I sold a few of my Stock Horses, 2014 I think, first release. Prices I got are in the range from below purchase price to almost double or triple. So who knows.

I also prefer to buy if mintage is 1000 or below. I like new CIT skulls, but mintage is quite high. Even CIT's Tiffany Art coins are not reaching so high prices. Might be that market is "over flooded".

16. barsenault

I just got an email from MCM with a link for the ANA Anaheim non-fiat coin. The sale isn't as inexpensive as the last time, but still a bunch cheaper than what is on eBay.

I've also learned that these are the last of the bunch they have in stock - 80 1 oz PF70's and 69 of the 50g PF69).

https://www.moderncoinmart.com/tags/secret-sale/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]