Free Stack Calculator

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Sticks, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Sticks

Sticks New Member

Sorry for delay in replying, I had a look at code, in Delphi there are 3 Files minimum you need to compile into program, only 1 of them the *.pas file is readable - the other 2 are in machine code. So I cant see how the one Pascal file will help much (But you welcome to it if you want it.)
    I was doing a google search trying to find someway or method of building a Cross Platform Version. But not much luck.

However, there is a free program out their that runs on a Mac which is similar to Delphi but not as good, its called 'Lazarus' maybe you can track that down and see is its suitable.
    Found this Vid on YouTube about it.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP7qFVdtmNQ[/youtube]

http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=12cceff01daa47806928f23431c3ca7f&topic=12096.0

2. 2003dve

2003dve New Member

Downloaded updated version and got a warning window saying

"Floating point division by zero"

Wasnt there on other version.

3. Sticks

Sticks New Member

Damn - I know whats causing it - on the stacks you not using 2,3,4, enter a 1 in the spot price field - that should fix it until I alter program

Have fixed the problem I think - Just added 0.01 into the empty spot price boxs. When you start up with a new program they were at zero.
    That's the problem when you start tacking on bits of program, there's a good chance that changes may cause a problem somewhere else

4. 2003dve

2003dve New Member

When I move the Total Oz's arrows up or down in Silver section the figures move and correspond, when I do it in any other sections nothing happens.

5. Sticks

Sticks New Member

An oversight on my part. After adjusting number of ounces - changing any other variable, spot price or Exchange rate, everything updates correctly.
    Now Fixed - Its now linked to the AutoCalc Routine - Same Link

6. lakesentrance

lakesentrance Member

Hey Sticks, great software, have just downloaded it and will put it to good use.

However, when I came to the first thread, I downloaded that version.

Then read a bit more, and downloaded the next, then the next, then the next (I have stackcalc, stackcalc2, stacker103a and stacker105)

The usual procedure, is that when you update your version, if possible, you update the FIRST post with the latest version. That way, everyone knows if they just go to the first post, they'll always get the latest version.

I know that may not be possible here, as you're not in control of the forum.

Thanks again you smart Trucker,

7. intelligencer

intelligencer Active Member

Guys I want to stress that I am not writing anything but general advice. It is not about the original post or this calculator. They are just general advice.

1. PM investment is a private thing.

2. We use computers in networked configurations as a rule, these days.

3. Programs can harbour "phone home" type code that sends "marketing research" etc and this can be anything the program has access to on your computer as well as things you put into it. This includes IP addresses etc.

My advice to everyone is to use an outgoing firewall. On Mac there is a program called "Little Snitch" that shows you any network access a program is doing. It will alert you to any information that is being potentially transmitted.

Again, this is just to inform those who may not be aware of the risks of running software on your machine that may expose you. There are precedents for this. Know the risks.

8. lakesentrance

lakesentrance Member

Good advice intelligencer.

And on Windows you can set which programs are allowed through the firewall. The windows firewall is quite sufficient, as it will simply block what you request.

I have a question regarding the calculator though ... where does it store it's database file? In the same directory it is in? If so, can u safely move both the .exe and the database file to another folder, and all will be well?

9. Stacks On

Stacks On New Member

Sticks - any chance of making the source code available for download as well as the .exe?

10. kenan83

kenan83 New Member

wow thx for this one =)

11. Sticks

Sticks New Member

Yes that is a problem, but forum is set up that the edit function only has a limited timespan (Good Feature.) So I'm unable to go back and edit the links.
    I did think about just deleting earlier versions of my server, But dead links have a way of really pissing people of. LOL

I have just gone up to server and replaced all earlier versions with the same file, so now it doesn't matter which one they download they should get the latest version. Just hope I remember whats what up there.

12. lakesentrance

lakesentrance Member

Excellent work.

I know the issue with "dead" files. Web developers refer to them as 404's or missing links. A web developers worst nightmare, when you're dealing with 100's of them.

Trying to think of a way of automating the replacement of "expired" files on a server, so it always shows a page telling u to "click here" for the latest version .... :/

Could u use an .htaccess file, (apache server) and that way you would only edit one file every time you upload a new version.

13. Sticks

Sticks New Member

Yep, No offense taken , it is good advice.
    But I assure you there is no Phone Home Code in it, That's way above my payscale
    However, when and if I learn how to do it, I think the giveaway will be the addition of another page in the program in the form of a NotePad .
    It will have a title "Enter details of where you buried your stack -So you dont forget." LOL :)

14. Sticks

Sticks New Member

Can do - After reading the comments by intelligencer I think it would be the proper thing to do so those that understand code can satisfy themselves there is no such code included.
    So will zip up the Source code a post it later this afternoon.

15. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Actually I can unlock this on a post-by-post basis - I've unlocked the first post so you can update the links.

16. Sticks

Sticks New Member

Thanks GP - Have already changed the files - but have also edited first post Telling people to always check latest postings for latest version.

17. Sticks

Sticks New Member

As requested here is the source code for Stacker Program. These are the 3 files needed to run or Compile the program.
    Only 1 is readable - the *.Pas file.
    To run or compile file you would need to have Borland Delphi 4 installed, and it would have to be set up the sames as mine,
    I have added many different componets from different sources, so unless you have these installed it wont run, or at a minimum will report many errors.

If anyone has Delphi 4 and wants to run or change the program, post a message here and I will list what extras you need to install to make it work

http://www.sticksplace.org/Dloads/StackSource.zip

18. Sticks

Sticks New Member

All Files stored in one Folder - Can rename folder and put it anywhere.

19. felix

felix New Member

hi sticks
    just wondering, did you or any other stackers convert this program to mac?
    cheers
    felix

20. phillis

phillis Member

very keen on a mac version too!