Beware of Australia Post - tracking isn't tracked!!!

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by The Crow, Sep 17, 2016.

1. The Crow

The Crow Member Silver Stacker

"Thank you for taking the time to contact us about the coins you've sent. We really do value and appreciate you taking the time to contact us about this. My name is Huon and I can certainly advise further.

I'm really sorry that it has taken so long to get back to you. We are working hard to get back to everyone as soon as possible.

I understand that the tracking information on our website does not list a 'delivered' scan, as you may have expected.

The reason for this is because the address you've sent this to have a parcel contract with Australia Post and utilise a delivery service that allows them to receive their parcels as a bulk delivery. Due to the high volume of parcels that they receive every day, it is not possible to scan each item individually once they're received at the delivery centre, and again after they're delivered. Instead, after parcels reach the delivery centre they are scanned into our system, and later delivered in bulk.

This item was scanned into this manifest on 19/08/16." (From Australia Post in response to a lost registered parcel)

So what did I pay the $3.50 for, if it wasn't for tracking?????

2. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

Translation, "tough luck mate".

How long does scanning a parcel take, 5 seconds?

OC

3. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sounds like they were deliberately negligent in providing a service as advertised.

http://auspost.com.au/business-solutions/tracking-your-eparcels.html
    "Knowing the whereabouts of your delivery brings you peace of mind and helps build your business' reputation for reliability.

We assign a unique barcode to each item in your consignment, which is then scanned and tracked all the way through its journey.

You'll know when:
    shipping information is received and approved
    the item arrives at the relevant delivery facility
    the driver loads the item into their van
    the item is delivered"

4. The Crow

Yep, I've been scanning their site looking for details of the service and it all promotes that you will know when it is delivered. I was just gobsmacked when I read the response from the "MySupport" - I really don't feel supported now.

And the purchaser can now simply claim the payment back from PayPal.

5. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

How is it not possible? It might involve someone doing some extra work that they've already been paid for, but I'd describe that as "not being lazy" rather than "not possible".

Anyway, if the recipient has some kind of special deal with AusPost, surely your responsibility ends where their bulk packaging arrangement starts, right? They're welcome to bugger around behind the scenes if they like, but their private arrangement doesn't have anything to do with you.

6. enzedda

enzedda Member

Did you pay for signature on delivery? Because all parcels now have tracking automatically included if they stick a barcode on it. With SoD they must have the recipients signature for it to be confirmed delivered. Probably the safest option would be person to person delivery where the named recipient needs to sign and not just anyone at the address.

7. Currawong

Currawong Member Silver Stacker

From what I've been told (and seen) in transit scanning and delivery scanning, that which relies on an actual person with a scanner is entirely up to how the driver feels about scanning parcels (ie: if he can be bothered). So most of the time unless you pay for more expensive postal options at most it'll be scanned at the source post office, a sorting centre or two and the recipients local post office before it gets delivered.

8. Old Codger

I get deliveries from OZ Post regularly, and they have a scanner and I have to, and do, sign for each one.

They often ask my first name and then last name, and he uses a stylus to enter it in the screen.. I then sign.

I wonder if 'someone' just puts it in their pocket?

OC

9. The Crow

Paid for registration which is supposed to include the recipient signing for it. (Total postage was $6.50 - large letter plus registration)
    For sales using PayPal I'll be requiring person to person in future, which is an additional $6.95 per package (on top of registration etc - additional service :) )
    With signature on delivery ($2.95), it can be collected by anyone with proof of residing at that address to satisfy Australia Post, but PayPal doesn't accept that as proof of delivery, therefore will accept a chargeback claim. Also, if lost, SoD covers only for $50 whilst registered is for $100
    Insurance proved no good - if Australia Post claim it was delivered, then that's the end of coverage - had that one already.
    And there's nothing to say that an employee at the sorting section didn't just scan it into the bulk delivery and slip it into their pocket - PMs are small relative to their value.

Since I was only turning over some extras and am not a business, that effectively torpedoes sales, but better not to sell than just sending stuff off into the never never.

10. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Tip - Put tracked items in the yellow express box (even if it's not express). They're more likely to get scanned that way.

11. The Crow

Same here - seems these rules only apply to us honest old codgers.

If a postal worker, or a worker on the receiving end, realised that the items simply fall off the radar as soon as it gets scanned into the bulk delivery, there's nothing to prevent dishonesty. The product "Registered Post" used to have some significance and Australia Post still promote it as a way of confirming delivery - there is no warning that it doesn't apply when they feel like it. This is a breakdown at an organisational level.

12. The Crow

This was posted over the counter, and I changed Post Offices recently for posting as the local one often didn't scan items into the system. The failure here was at the delivery end.

13. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Auspost is slow and late most of the time as we all know.The main reason why they are not scanning packages right away that could give them an extra day(scanning late-after hours etc) to deliver any package and bring their performance up to the standard they are happy with.Always ask for the package to be lodged front of you and if possible get the receipt.If you lodge more than 1 item in the same time with their new system only the 1st package will show on the receipt but the others should be scanned into the system too.Just watch them what they are doing ;)

14. The Crow

I'm wondering how businesses get anything achieved - my percentage of "faults" is getting awfully high as an amateur seller.

15. andsing56

andsing56 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I might as well add to this thread, as I have plenty of experience with both Australia Post and international postal systems.

Having just spent two years in Thailand, and now moving back to Japan I can say with 100% certainty that Australia Post "choose" which countries they scan and track incoming packages from. I sent over 150 packages to Australia in the two years I was in Bangkok - all sent registered mail with a tracking number and our friends at OzPost did NOT SCAN A SINGLE PACKAGE coming in to the country.

AusPost cant do it, I don't think so....I do not accept that explanation...they are just inefficient and expensive........similar in my experience to Canada Post.

Now I am living in the country now with what I consider the worlds most efficient postal system (Japan), every package that comes in with registered mail is scanned. Why cant Aus Post do that?? What annoys me is the original amount we pay includes tracking - so when I pay for a service I expect that it is done.

Sorry i could write pages of stats and information of Australia Post versus other postal systems when it comes to tracking.....but I think the average Australian customer needs to be more demanding of Australia Post and Australia Post need to review their systems and methods of delivery in detail. Enough said...end of rant!!

16. Old Codger

17. raven

raven Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

18. Old Codger

Yes, there is a place for private enterprise in this field.

OC

19. The Crow

Ok, so now according to Australia Post, you can't do person-to-person on parcels.
    How does everyone get on - signature on delivery can be signed for by anyone at that address, which isn't acceptable to PayPal and can result in chargeback. Can't do person-to-person on a parcel, only a letter, and you can't get very much silver in a letter. Does everyone just send SoD and hope for the best?

20. Old Codger

BS!

I signed for a parcel 2 days ago, addressed to my name and address.

He asked me to confirm my name and address, and i signed the doodad with his stylus.

He was riding a yellow motor bike!

OC