2016 1 oz. Silver Kangaroo Coins

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by silverbullion, Sep 21, 2015.

1. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Call the AFP's Currency Team. It's counterfeit Australian legal tender, and the eBay seller is in for a world of hurt for importing and selling them. Has to be stamped out.

2. SteveS

SteveS Member

Have you looked for the micro-engraved 'A' within the larger 'A'? This was added to put counterfeiters off because it's hard to reproduce. I'd be interested to hear whether they had a go and, if so, what it looks like. You'll need an eyeglass to see it properly.

[​IMG]

3. chansax

chansax New Member

That is an excellent idea, thank you.

With the naked eye, I can see a blip on the real one corresponding to where the micro A should be. Nothing on the fake. I'll have a closer look later with a dermatoscope/ophthalmoscope

4. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Sad for Perth Mint when the cheap Chinese fakes look better quality than the real coin! lol

In the pics first one shows similar size between real and fake but second pic shows a much more noticeable size difference?

Also all of these Chinese knock off coins are so easy to spot when compared to original coins they aint fooling anyone but ebay buyers and sight unseen bargain hunters.

5. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Buying fakes should be a outlier for a PM buyer, soon it will become the norm.

6. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Will always be a problem. Can you imagine if they ever use gold and silver as backing for fiat? They'll be loads of fakes out there. And they'll Sprout up everywhere. How do you control such a problem. I don't think you can, unfortunately. It's like you cut off one head, and 10 other sprout up. scary for sure. I just don't understand how these companies get away with posting on their website. It looks and feels like legal tender but it's not...and they even list as, 'plated', 'not real' many times. Well, if it real, then why the hell are you selling it, bozo. Go make your own thing.