2016 5oz Silver Wedge Tailed Eagle

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Austro, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Austro

Austro Member

Very tempted to purchase the new 5oz wedge tailed eagle coin, it looks gorgeous but $495 is just so much money! Anyone else having the same problem? If any of you have bought previous years 5oz ones, is it worth it?

2. Silverman99

Silverman99 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I feel it's overpriced but a nice looking coin

3. jazzy988

jazzy988 Member

Mintage of 5,000 is way too high.

4. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

What something is worth is completely subjective.

Things that come with a higher price tag are things like great design and significant production costs. Those who measure all silver products by only the weight and purity of the silver content are straight away fools....yet there are stackers who do this all the time.

How does one attempt to put a price on one's enjoyment of something? There's no way to measure that. I have some blobs and common coins that I get very, very little to zero enjoyment in holding. Then on the other hand I have some awesome coins and medals that I am in awe of every time I hold them.

There are plenty of people who pay oodles of $$$$ on things that they don't need and they don't even like after they've spent oodles of $$$$ on (I can think of several dates I've had that could easily fall into this category).

I've paid $500 and more for a silver coin of the same weight. The weight becomes irrelevant at some point.....you are not buying silver shot after all. If you were buying 5 ounces of this: http://www.apmex.com/product/43773/25-kilo-bag-silver-grain-shot-9999-fine-peoles-803-75-oz for $495 then I would certainly question your sanity. What you are considering buying is much different.

The one thing I will sort of agree with is the 5,000 mintage being.....how do I put it.....not low. But it is an awesome looking coin and a lot more production cost went into making it than a blob or regular coin. Finally, you may get enjoyment from such a coin as long as you own it.

5. Petridished

Petridished New Member

Unless you are completely enamored with this and only this coin to the point it will be on your kitchen window sill endlessly, do not do it.

Look at 2 and 3 yr old 5 oz coins and their gains, with fewer minted and have lineage with set collectors.

You could have (10) 2 oz lunar monkey coins which look as though mintage will be very low.

For money be hesitant and wait for aftermarket.

There are hundreds of specially minted coins out there now, like baseball cards of the early 90's.

I do not hear or see a new awakened demand for specialty coins amongst the younger generations, nor older.

Yes for lower premium, there appears to be increased interest specialty rounds, I do not comprehend.?

Love it for beauty buy it.

My disgustingly overpriced was 1897 Cuba Libertad 1 Peso silver "token" $200 usd. 1898 went to coin, big $$$.

She is gorgeous and not plastic wrapped and AU undoubtedly.

Sells on Ebad for $300-400 usd plus.

Just under 5000 of those were minted and it has been 119 years.

"You've just got to ask yourself one question. Do you fell lucky, well do ya"

If anything like Venezuela comes to your town, weight will BE the only measurement.

6. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

"Value" is very subjective.

If someone is interested in buying some coin just because they want to flip it for a profit then there's a different "value" attached to that coin than the "value" attached to a coin someone wants to add to their collection and admire and hold from time to time (and possibly pass down to the next generation).

Far too many times, stackers confuse and conflate one value for another. If you are looking only to flip a coin for profit then that's going to be a different coin (generally speaking) than a coin that you truly appreciate aesthetically and want to hold for an indeterminate amount of time.

So you have to decide which kind of "value" you want to attach more significance to.

For me, some coins and medals in my collection I attach far greater significance to the kind of value which is not a pure measure of possible subjective monetary worth but rather the kind of value that one might have for an astonishing work of art while other coins I have I couldn't care less about their aesthetic value and they are, to me, a means to an economic ends is all.

7. Austro

Austro Member

You have all been very helpful. My plan wouldn't be to flip the coin or consider it as just a 5oz silver purchase. So I guess Missinglink's idea of value is what comes into play here. However $500 is a lot for me to lay out on a product I have never seen in my hands. I have only owned 1 1oz high relief coin and I'd definitely say the premium was worth it. I also own a couple of 5oz ATB coins and I thoroughly enjoy the size and weight of those. So the problem I have is, would I have more enjoyment from buying 2 new ATB coins or 5 specialty 1oz proof coins etc. I have watched a few YouTube videos on previous years 5oz Eagles and they are all pretty positive about them. So does anyone have experience with these sorts of coins and have held them and would say that what you see, feel and your enjoyment of it is worth $500? Of course everyone's idea of value is going to be different but I would feel much more comfortable pressing purchase if many on here said "I love my 5oz wedge tails they are amazing coins, I'm so glad I bought mine" than just pressing purchase and having no idea what I've committed to. Out of curiosity, is anyone going for the bimetal wedge tail?

8. Mbutler

Mbutler Member Silver Stacker

Austro i dont personally own one however a friend of mine did buy one (2015) and i had the pleasure of getting a look a couple of weeks ago. first impressions was very cool looking coin, deep dish like that made the eagle pop out, however the coin is a small in diameter and very thick so in the box it doesnt look as impressive as say a ATB 5oz coin in terms of visual size. Very nice coin personally for my taste i would buy other 5 oz coins just as it didnt quite have the size presence but it made me seriously think on it (and i only buy low prem normally so a big change for me :D ).

Hope this helps
    Mbutler