Different year coin values

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by robtombunt, Aug 30, 2016.

1. robtombunt

robtombunt Member

I thought it might be a good discussion to talk about the difference is pricing for the same coins but from different years. I haven't been able to find a complete 'guide' of which are good or bad years and when it really does not make a difference. Obviously special and limited editions have their own specifics but ASE etc. At least with ASE, difference in the last few years shouldn't make that much of a difference right?

2. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

ASE unless there are key dates or mintages even the 1986 had a mintage of 5million.

I do speculate about 2015 kangaroos though, there are millions being sold of 2016 so 300,000 mintage of 2015 could be interesting in 20 or more years, with the infamous introduction.

3. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

The graded condition of a coin can also make a huge difference in value.

A 1986 ASE in 69 or 70 condition can carry a huge premium. People are paying hundreds or even over USD $1,000 for 1986 and key date high grade ASE's.

So the answer is: value depends on different variables.

4. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

2007 and 2008 ASE,s are key dates but for some reason most coin collectors fail to acknowledge them as such? They only recognise the mistake coins minted 2008,s with reverse of 2007,s and most people totally missed the desighn change in 08.

07 was the last year "U" was used in UNITED STATES and 08 was the first year of the new desighn that shows as all others post 07,s to date as "u" in uNITED STATES, also the hyphen between SILVER and ONE changed the same year.

Some believe the "U" was changed to "u" to signify the GFC,s affect on uSA .

I am sure if Trump gets elected the "U" in UNITED will return once again to ASE,s :)

5. mmissinglink

I would like to see the entire design of the ASE change dramatically. It once was a really neat design but it's become an old boring design.

We need a new Lady Liberty and a new Eagle on out coins US Mint.

'

6. robtombunt

robtombunt Member

Or even an Aussie mint started by silver stackers :)

7. robtombunt

robtombunt Member

So we could say that:
    Very early ASE in great condition - greatly valuable
    2007 ASE - Valuable due to graphics changing after
    2015 Kangaroos - Possible due to smaller issues?

Yeah?

8. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Not really! ASE,s have a few key dates First release and low mintage years that fetch a higher premium, the 2007 and 2008 were high mintage years compared to previous years but lower than latter years. because of the high mintage of 07 & 08 they have been totally disregarded by most as just above melt, but once the desighn changes again they will become last and first with not so many being kept in perfect condition because of the high mintage.

Coin buyers and collectors laugh at me saying all ase,s are worth the same,this may be true to them at their coin fairs but we are entering a good period for the older ase,s to be sold as birthday age coins and they are doing so on ebay with single ase,s of all older dates selling for much much more than just over spot! these coins are not just sold to the "unknowing or unsuspecting" but to those who want a particular date only and are willing to pay the extra because they are neither stackers or coin collectors and are willing to pay the higher price for convenience of not shopping around coin shops and coin fairs. :)

http://www.mi-coins.com/#!silver-eagle-mintage-guide/cxle

9. mmissinglink

10. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

11. Golden

Golden Member

Nothing special about this tube, coins have been gone through. Probably some guys worst 20 ASEs.

12. mmissinglink

Possibly but possibly not.

Many sellers on eBay are selling things they have no idea of what the value is because the things they are selling are not theirs and they have no interest in them. I have come across plenty of sellers who are selling their deceased spouses things and the seller has no interest or clue about what they are selling.

If this is the case with these original tubes of ASE's then almost certainly the coins are not searched and picked through.

But since I don't know either way, I can not say which is the case except to say it's possible that the tube is not picked through.