?more fake Perth Mint gold bars on eBay

Discussion in 'Fakes & Counterfeits' started by chansax, Aug 29, 2016.

1. chansax

chansax New Member

Been following this seller after they sold me something which I am not convinced is genuine (thankfully something cheap). Suddenly 4 gold bars have come up all starting at $0.99, auction ending in 24 hours.

Can anyone confirm if these are real or fake? I've watched this video (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=owh5zKwfmYY) and I'm not sure. But I'd hate to see more fake bars getting through.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/182260261103
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/182260261017
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/182260260921

2. teej

teej Member

From a quick look / comparison to the video you linked - the swan logo on the 20g bar looks too bright, the technical specifications font seems to be too "bold", and the bar number being too light.

I don't have any bars to actually compare them too though.

3. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Without knowing too much I'd say the gap in the transparent part between the gold and card is too wide, especially the 5g but that is going by the YouTube vid, but I wouldn't know if they were an expert or a joker?

4. chansax

chansax New Member

5. Ipv6Ready

Look at 6:40 technical specification seems correct where it's located but serial number font doesn't look right.

I'd say fake, but I wouldn't be calling the cops on the the YouTube evidence, I'd have more confidence if the vid was a Perth Mint video.
    Plus remember they bought those fakes lol, so I don't hold much confidence that they know all the variations, specifically unless I knew Perth Mint never ever changed their design, which I don't.

6. SteveS

SteveS Member

Report to Perth Mint? I did this with an eBay listing a couple of weeks ago and they got back to me agreeing it was fake. I don't know if they took any action, but in their shoes, I would.

7. Midastouchofgold

Midastouchofgold Active Member Silver Stacker

Hard to tell. It's not even remotely worth the risk.

8. Midastouchofgold

Midastouchofgold Active Member Silver Stacker

If you search perth mint gold in sold listings you will see that that seller has sold a number of them in the past few days, as have other sellers. I would think all of them are fake, except the one sold by bulliondepository. Look at this sellers feedback

http://feedback.ebay.com.au/ws/eBay...world=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2050430.m2531.l4585

And yet in the sold listings he still sold a gold bar. If the sellers know what they are doing, they have a paypal account in a fake name, and would instantly withdraw their money, so they won't lose a cent from it, while the buyers are out thousands of dollars. Gotta take these mofos down.

9. chansax

chansax New Member

10. Ipv6Ready

I'm not because I don't believe the industry leaders are doing enough.
    Not becuase I'm lazy but I strongly believe it should be up to the industry to do something about it.

It is an easy fix.

The industry players get together and formulate a plan.

Like say
    Perth Mint donate 4 days a month of one of their junior staff to report to eBay all new listing of fakes.
    ABC donate 3 days a months of one of their junior staff to report to eBay all new listing of fakes.
    In a sliding scale depending on size of the PM businesses each dealer or player donate 1 day to maybe 2 hours a month.

I think there is enough player to get staff online to check for fakes every day in the beginning and every second day after a few months.

Now let's say Perth Mint using a Perth mint account contact a seller selling fakes and at the same time report to eBay, if genuinely the seller didn't know they will be upset but if fake well they will shut it down, I suppose.

For some good PR the industry can get together pool resources and create a campaign so that sellers who are adamant theirs is genuine, offer to get it tested for them and provide a COA if they come into a local Dealer.

If they have a persistent fake seller, the industry could also get police involved and list have eBay as an accessory after the fact for each account of persistent fake seller eBay doesn't shut down. After while eBay will get the message.

Why stop there look into gumtree.

Within few months I'd say there will be very few Australian based fake seller. Do something similar for overseas sellers selling on eBay Australia... And get dealers and mint in US and Europe involved -> eBay international will quickly mend their way.

11. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Not hard to stop ebay or gumtree fake sales if Perth Mint has a dedicated fraud department! What do Perth Mint really care anyway? their business is buying PM,s cheap and selling them high so those unfortunates scammed along the way buying from outside Perth Mint or official Perth Mint wholesalers are totally irrelevant to them given Perth Mint 100% would neither sell or be fooled into buying back any fake Perth Mint goods or anyone else,s branded fake pm,s "ever".

Have you ever thought these fakes are let to happen to ensure future buyers purchase from the mints or one of the mints official sellers!
    PM dealers only buy back at under spot but back yard sellers expect at least spot plus fractional premiums "they" paid an official pm business when in reality its only ever worth the mint or authorised pm dealers buy back to both the seller and that sellers new buyer regardless fancy/security packaging.

This bloke now knows this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2SJdUW-Km0