Monster boxes

Discussion in 'Silver' started by switchau, Aug 17, 2016.

1. switchau

switchau New Member

Hello fellow stackers...

I'm in the market for a monster box and have been looking at a few options.
    Obviously I want to try and get a good deal at a low premium but I don't want sacrifice resale later on.

With that in mind, what do you guys reckon I should be getting? Perth mint coins, PAMP Bars...

Any advise / info would be greatly appreciated. It would be great if you had any recommendations on where to buy it also.

Cheers,

M

2. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

PM coins and PAMP aren't low premium but if you're new to PM's and thinking of resale, they'd be a solid buy. All depends on how much you're spending and how often. I found early on the cost of resale is rarely worth worrying about for most generic bars like PAMP.

Plenty of low premium bars such as NTR and OPM that get decent resale price but may be bit harder to sell.

Personally I'd go bars over an MB of newer PM coins.

3. Topherclaus

Topherclaus Active Member

Totally agree with House, you won't see the premium returned with PAMP. Go with either generic bars, or something like kooks or 'roos (what I would get).

I have most major coins in some quantity or other but I kind of feel like I should/may consolidate a few of the internationals and buy a monster of Aussie coins. Just feel like they'll be easier to sell to a layperson later down the track of PMs go gangbusters.

4. switchau

switchau New Member

Thank you for the feedback House.

I'm looking to put these away long term... (20 Years) Not planning on frequently trading them or anything like that.

To date if have been stacking various 1Kg bars which is why I'm drawn to the 15Kg box from PAMP... But I like the idea of 500 coins if you know what I mean :)

My budget is $15 - 20K... What are your thoughts on Gold vs Silver for this kind of investment?

I'm looking to make the purchase next week and might post a EOI in the trading section to see what's out there.

Thanks again for the feedback...

5. switchau

switchau New Member

My thinking exactly regarding selling PM coins later to a layperson, they just going to sell quicker with minimal hassle!

Thanks for the input...

6. House

If you're storing them for 20 years, you could end up with all kinds of physical anomalies like toning, milk spots etc. that could easily affect the resale price. Is it Kooks you're thinking of?

15kg PAMP is a great buy, nice sturdy box that's significantly easier to store.

Why PM's over a low cost index fund? Might as well make some money if you're holding for 20 years ;)

7. switchau

switchau New Member

Wow, thanks house, I did not even think of issues like that with coins over such long periods of time! Really glad I posted this...

I need this holding to be physical and I don't like the idea of having that much folding cash laying around! What are your thought on Gold (10ozer)

8. House

Any metal will be affected over that length of time but the premium on coins would suffer more as there's an expectation of aesthetic appeal.

I hope you won't be storing the MB at home...

10oz is fine but if you're only spending $15k you'd be better off with 10x 1oz or even smaller sizes in case you need to sell quick. The biggest I go is 5oz. There's far more buyers 1oz and below (PM Certicards) than there'll ever be for 10oz of Au.

9. switchau

switchau New Member

Thanks mate, I hear what you saying about the 10oz bar at private resale... Much easier letting it go 1oz at a time.

Lots to think about. Thanks for all the info.

10. Silver_Dealar

Silver_Dealar Member

Valcambi 1g combi bars are an amazing invention you should check out. You could probably make money by buying them in 100x1g lots and selling the 1g's individually.

11. switchau

switchau New Member

Very interesting product indeed, thanks for sharing!

12. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

Aside of the premium there is also another thing to think about: the price of silver.

For ex, an ASE at Apmex, MB quantity, is now $22.34, and a Maple is $22.10. The difference is $0.24.

So a silver price change of $1 is already 4 times that.

Over the last week alone the silver price fluctuated that $1.

The spot price was in 2016 driven up by futures market hedging, to a level that is a decades recordhigh.
    Hedging basically is placing orders that gets cancelled (expiration or opposite order), drives up the price with it, until cancellation drives it back down.
    Meaning that in the cash market, little changed compared to last years $14.

You said your "investment" term is a couple decades and don't plan to trade them frequently.

Well, then the initial price you get in at, is the key determinator whether or not your "investment" will have preserved the purchasing power you had with it.

That's also something to think about.

Just a comment from someone that purchased monsterboxes in 2011, a coin (MB quantity) was then 28 euro, it's now just 20 euro, even with the euro being 20% lower now.
    My last purchase was end 2014, coin price was 15 euro. But the quantities are fractions of back then, so for me, silver will be a "malinvestment", due to bad decisions, I did the homework after instead of before. I now save abit in other ways and if I would buy silver in the future, at this general prices level, it won't be above that last purchase.

13. GoldenEye

GoldenEye Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You shouldn't have any of these problems with non-numismatic gold for 20 years or more.

14. black5wan

black5wan Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you are going to wait for 20 years, I would suggest you to buy 2016 wedge tailed eagle, it had tiny mintage around 100k, kooks and koala mintage is 300k. Its available cheaper than ase, maple, looks and koalas.

2015 eagles are getting nice premium even now. Y ou can't go wrong with 2016 wedge tailed eagles.

15. Golden

Golden Member

I'd go with coins, kilo bars might be worth a fortune after 20 years and too expensive to sell easily. :)

16. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Get the superman monster box! Just cos it looks pretty cool.

[​IMG]

17. switchau

switchau New Member

Thank you for all the information, support and feedback guys.

I really appreciate your advise and stories of past investments. There is a lot for me to think about and clearly more research to be done.

Very best regards to all and happy stacking!

-Switch

18. Pirocco

At the moment a silver kilo coin costs 650 euro. That's 6 pairs decent shoes. That's not a fortune and over a couple decades that won't be either.
    So a kilo silver too expensive to sell easily? Can't see why. Take for ex a monsterbox. 20 or 25 tubes 1ozzers. I think most will be resold in such tube quantities. A kilocoin is less silver than 2 tubes of 20.
    I'd say just buy some of all. Just like in a wallet, a variety.

19. Topherclaus

Topherclaus Active Member

6? That's not even 3 pairs of shoes for me. Tall man shoes don't come cheap.

20. Pirocco

One explanation could be that you wear woman shoes whose price is 50% brand and 50% material.
    Btw, these days its declared as okay for guys to wear woman shoes, no shame needed :D
    Here shoes cost the same regardless size. Economically weird, but that's just how it is, maybe they use some sizes-average cost, so that the big sizes are underpriced and the small overpriced.
    Hell, I've seen shoes for 1-2y old priced 150 euro and more. Even on a flea market, some design leather mini boots haha.

The best quality work shoes here, cost 110 euro. Common decent shoes price hang around 100.
    Not that that is of importance to me, I ceased to buy new stuff, became too much crap for the price.
    I've seen shoes from same brand same model, sold in 2002 and sold 2014, price tag from 2002 'round same as 2014. Something fishy, and indeed, the 2002 ones were artificial leather (not as good as leather but still sturdy enough), the 2014 were textile coated with polyurethane. You can rub off the polyurethane and you get a black thumb. It already peels off by itself on the places where the shoe bends while walking.
    In recent years I purchased enough decent shoes at 1-8 euro to not depend anymore on future production / markets / further crap.
    And other stuff. I go at bargains moments to bargain places. Takes alot time but ohwell others watch soaps read comics go on vacation etc.