I know mylar flips are bad for storing silver but what about...

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Canadian Stacker, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Canadian Stacker

Canadian Stacker New Member

I have read that mylar flips are bad for coins but what about mylar food grade bags? Flips are clear and the mylar bags are metalized, are they the same? Can antistactic bags be used? I want to wrap up some bars and coins and put them into long term storage but I don't want to use platic bags as they may harm the silver as well. I'm confused as to what to use without storing them In Boxes. My location isn't the driest place and I would obviously use silca packs but then I got the idea of mylar food bags sealed with oxy absorbers. Any ideas guys?

2. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. Tacrezod

Tacrezod Member

4. bja

bja Member Silver Stacker

????? Mylar flips are what you should put coins in - i.e. saflips
    Dont put them in PVC flips

5. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

yes, probably a terminology swap error, PVC bad guys Mylar good guys

6. Canadian Stacker

Canadian Stacker New Member

You're correct Pirocco, I do have it backwards.

Thanks for the replys guys, I have read the article that ipv6Ready posted and it's very informative. Sometimes the more you research things the more confusing it can be. I guess the only way to find out is to try it and see what happens. I like the idea of the anti corrosion bags too. So it's PVC I need to worry about and not mylar, got it.

7. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

I stored my nonboxed/noncapsuled coins (mostly 90% junk) into well cleaned and tightly closing icecream boxes, doing it in a low humid / no smoking environment, and leave them alone as much as I can. Without an air circulation, once the little sulphur present reacted, it stops.

Flips are just such a mess, they consume too much space, they collect dust and dirt, and they contrast with the idea of a coin as such.
    A part of the junk I bought here and there arrived in such flips, some good (mylar), clearly stored as such since quite a while, and all were dirtbags
    I had much more cleaning work with them than the packages that had the coins just together with some paper around.