Fastest way to increase metal wealth

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by HotlineBling, Aug 13, 2016.

1. HotlineBling

HotlineBling New Member

Those of you familiar with the hunt brothers story of 1979-1980, through their cornering of the silver market they achieved a price rise of $11/oz to $50/oz. It may sound crazy but if all stackers worldwide attempt the same through buying up "cornering" the complete physical supply of silver/gold I'm sure that is the quickest way to achieve a rise in price instead of waiting who knows how long for the next correction. Through this initiative pm can no longer be subject to digital market manipulation as the control of physical supply shifts to the common peoples hands. I believe this is the most straightforward way to achieve an increase in metal wealth whilst also accurately reflecting a free market price for metals.

2. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I must admit that I don't know very much about the Hunt Bros. Did they actually buy tons and tons and tons of physical silver or was most of the 'silver' paper contracts?

3. markc

markc Member

[​IMG]

4. Snoopy

Snoopy Member

Silly me, and I thought that is what stackers do and try to achieve. Dry up the supply and let the industry bid up prices.

5. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There are not enough stackers to buy the excess silver in the market now.
    The only real increase in silver usuage is silver coins, in percentage all other uses of silver have basically stagnated in the last twenty years. If it wasn't stackers, silver price would be at $5 an ounce.

6. HotlineBling

HotlineBling New Member

edits:
    Sorry thought it was obvious hunt bros mostly futures although physical was also a method of purchase utilised and what I meant was what if the silver market could be cornered with the same intent through people buying and holding the physical en masse controlling the supply thus causing a price increase. I know it wouldnt happen for real but you cant say that in theory this wouldnt work as was evidenced by the hunt bros example.

7. HotlineBling

HotlineBling New Member

cool thanks for the useful info youre a great guy..

8. HotlineBling

HotlineBling New Member

lol you're welcome.

9. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If silver in investment forms like bars and coins hadn't increased from 5% to 25% of total silver usage in the last few decades, we would have so much silver around most primary silver producers would stop and mothball the mines. I read somewhere that there are more silver in wieght around now as investment coins than ever before, I find that hard to believe, but also it's plausible looking at ASE, maples and kangaroos being minted.

Catch 22 at $20 US per ounce, we are seeing some mothballed primary silver mines opening up and increasing propecting for silver stocks.
    I think it will be like iron ore, oil and gas miners with higher prices leading to expanding the operations, increasing supply and when the supply increases without demand the prices drops.

10. James

James Member

^ Getting wary of copper mines closing down due to low copper prices - so no longer mining silver.
    Most of the world silver production is as a by-product of base metal mining.

11. James

James Member

Easier to achieve by a few rich guys. If they each start to buy a few million ounces of physical silver and securely store it all. Who knows, maybe this is happening ?

12. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

This is the explanation Silver Institute
    http://www.silverinstitute.org/site/silver-price/silver-price-history/1979-1980/

"Simplistic retrospectives of the silver market in late 1979 tend to focus on the high-profile purchases of large amounts of silver and silver futures by various wealthy individuals; in reality, there was a tremendously broad-based rush to buy silver by investors worldwide at the time."

So according to SI, that's what your "all stackers" actually did.
    Also gold, etc, those years were high inflation years. Not hyper, government was smarter / more powerful than Zimbabweans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Thursday
    "The brothers were estimated to hold one third of the entire world supply of silver (other than that held by governments)." (note: which was big at that time).
    "The Hunt brothers had invested heavily in futures contracts through several brokers"

So, one could say that the Hunts didn't do something special, they purchased on the cash market, and hedged it along futures, cranking up the price another time, to then try to sell the stock at the higher price. But in that selling plan the Hunts were frontrunned by others, so that the price already dropped 50% before them, in a mere 4 days.
    A very important element was that the Hunts borrowed to buy silver. It just took some margin increases and leverage restrictions by the government, to confront them with bills they couldn't pay, and bankrupt them.
    If you think about it, nowadays isn't that different from then, also a broad run on precious metals, selling frontrun already passed and futures hedge on decades high (550 Moz, double the common peak).
    And, no high inflation.
    One difference though: ZIRP. There isn't much out there that has more upwards potential. It's all frontrunned, and too much savings to increase rates again.
    Could be named a "stalemate".
    And that's why the negative rates talk, the cash transactions limits and cash withdrawal throttling.
    The central planners club need savers to waste enough of their savings on the frontrunned markets.
    That includes both buy high and sell low.
    Be warned.

13. SteveS

SteveS Member

As of March this year, Perth Mint were producing around one million 1oz Silver Kangaroo coins PER MONTH.

I would imagine many mints around the world were producing similar or even larger quantities of their own 1oz tender coins, such as eagles and maples. Then there are other weights, bars, collectibles.....

It doesn't look like silver is in short supply to me!

14. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Mike and York have a lot to answer for.