I'm just learning to shop silver on ebay.

Discussion in 'Silver' started by shamron, Jul 15, 2016.

1. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

:rolleyes:
    Where does it say that the actual site has physically moved
    From what I understand is still being hosted in Australia
    Knowing the amount of grief GP went through moving it years ago
    I doubt very much the hosting has moved OS

2. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Why don't you read again!!!
    Virtual world can be any where...
    Business is registered in US.... So is US host...

3. BenKenobi

BenKenobi Well-Known Member

Mate if you are new to the bullion game, do not be tempted by the bay, get some experience under your belt and do a shipload of research before you entertain that beast, if you must then use Bullion retail outlets eg Apmex, Perth Mint, Perth Bullion etc. listen to other stackers advice, those that have done this for far longer than yourself, there is always someone with more experience. There are plenty of trustworthy Bullion outlets in the USA, buy there first while you are learning and researching, at some point you will get done by dodgy sellers, my final bit of advice, beware and listen, there are more criminals on eBay than there is in prisons, and that's a fact.

4. spannermonkey

You sure it's hosted OS
    Just another ASSumption
    As I said , the grief from moving hosts a few years ago , I doubt it has been moved again

5. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

"ASSumption"? Are you like 12 years old? Put down the Pokemon dude.

I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that the forum was moved to a hosting service in the US and, due to DDOS attempts, utilizes Cloudfront or Cloudflare (something GP once mentioned).

[​IMG]

___

6. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

US or AU, lookup says "Forums.silverstackers.com serves on San Francisco, United States and establish connection to the internet via - Internet Service Provider (ISP) ", that's where the world has to retrieve the forums data from, regardless whether it's a bare metal or a virtual server.
    But is it worth a fight?

7. Golden ChipMunk

Thanks Pirocco

Viva Hermosa!!! :)

Now, Spanner ... What you say now about making things up????

Eat back your dirt bag

8. Golden ChipMunk

Cough cough

9. Golden ChipMunk

Stop playing that Pokemon
    Your search engine is obsolete , send it back to where ever it from!! :p

10. spannermonkey

Well I've been wrong before
    And probably will be again :eek:

11. Golden ChipMunk

Probably ????? Maybe???? Another ASSumption !!!

Calling another member making thing up, with no apologise ,

when Spanner is proven wrong as Always !!!

Another Piss to plot attempt coming from monkeyman!!!!

Where is mmissinglink????

????

Suddenly, everyone so quiet!!!
    BCos, most of the time , they love to taken a piss....

Onya Chip, you've done good research proven them wrong !!!!!

12. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not so fast Chip. The IP address 104.31.72.134 is registered to Cloudflare, which is Content Delivery Network (CDN) provider, headquartered in San Francisco. It says nothing about where the Silver Stackers server is actually located.

As far as just about anyone is concerned, forums.silverstackers.com is located at the Cloudflare location nearest to them (in IP routing terms), due to the wonders of IP Anycast routing, see https://www.cloudflare.com/network-map/

If you know how to do a traceroute, try a traceroute to forums.silverstackers.com - depending where you are, your results will be different. As far as I'm concerned, it's in the Equinix data centre in Sydney. Your results may, and probably will, differ ;)

13. BenKenobi

Hmmm you know I really thought the headline for this topic was in reference to buying silver on ebay. Must have been wrong, mods please move my post to the correct subject heading.<< I'm just learning to shop silver on ebay>>

seriously guys we all get emotive when we truly believe we are correct, whether we are right or not, or when someone may not be picking up what we are putting down, nothing wrong with self belief, even being a bit stubborn is an asset to ones personality. Some of you guys are senior members, yes you are, this is silver stackers forum not biggest swinging dicks forum.

Oh well ISP blahblahblahblah how many ounces is that and is that above spot and usual premium, is postage included?
    C'mon guys there's better shit to argue about with more passion than this point......isn't there?? How about "to buy Perth Mint proofs to have slabbed to get PF69 or 70 sets or to just buy slabbed already"

14. scrooged

scrooged New Member

What on Earth does this even mean?

15. kangawoo

kangawoo New Member

I see some silver on the bay that I would love, but am always too scared of fakes now days :(
    The only coins I buy are dirty old and worn bulk 3p's and similar.

But I have recently started selling some stuff, if anyone is interested in honest and fair products check out my listings. (am I aloud to self promote before I list my page?)

16. danman49

danman49 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Back on topic:

If you use Pay Pal to pay for your item then you are covered in most circumstances for a full refund including postage - might be different where you are so just read the Ebay and Pay Pal refund conditions for your area. If you want to get really cautious then pay for your Pay Pal using a credit card. That way you can phone your bank and do a charge back if Pay Pal or Ebay get narky and do not give you a refund (bank tells Pay Pal to explain why the bank should not pull the money back from them and give it to you).

So if jo blo in Thailand with no feedback does not send you the 1 oz 999 gold coin you just won at auction for $AUD56 with free postage you can start a case with Ebay or Pay Pal and get your money back; or if the coin does arrive and it turns out not to be 999 gold as advertised you can start a case, get your money back and probably keep the coin as I doubt jo blo from Thailand will want to fork out the $AUD30 needed to post the item back to him. AND if Pay Pal or Ebay do not want to refund you then call your bank and let Pay Pal or Ebay fight it out with them.

Just make sure you check the refund policy in your area as could well be different.

17. kangawoo

kangawoo New Member

just found this from an Aussie ebayer.
    [​IMG]
    Source:

Now google the same coin (but a real one) and you can spot many differences.

It's sad imo, and looking at the sales he has had, it makes one wonder how many he has gotten away with.

18. BenKenobi

detailing down back lengthwise is incorrect and indistinct, detailing around snout top jaw is incorrectly marked, scale markings on tail side are also incorrect in dimension, font size on top lettering is different in size to bottom lettering, not a bad fake and would pass easily I am sure to people without patience or those that do not research. I would love to see dimensions and coin firsthand, but am past buying fakes just to be a pain in the arse to the seller, just goes to show how many criminals there are on the bay.
    Shame of it is it may also be someone thinking he is a genuine seller that had (thought he had) a great deal. you know back in the late 90's I bought all kinds on ebay from gold jewellery, gold pocket watches, rolex's and awesome gemstones, you had to be careful back then but now its a hazard, even if you can get your transaction reversed, do you really wanna pay for return postage to a criminal that just tried to spank a few grand(in my case) out of you. At the time I made a shipload of money on ebay despite some non genuine gemstones which came with fake GIA certification from USA.I still have some of those genuine article buys still today in my safe. China, Ukraine, USA, Brazil, Australia, Indonesia.....really there is no end its an opportunists market for those who can live with dishonesty on their conscience and easily justify the rewards, you are or you aren't and the law has a grey line regarding what is and what is not acceptable, Since when did asia give a shit about patent, trademark or just outright counterfeit copy or reverse engineered design. Better things to do than waste time there, only purpose for me is researching what people will pay for given item.

19. digitalcoinstore

digitalcoinstore New Member

Reading this thread has reminded me of all the occasions when I've nearly ended up buying a silver plated coin instead of solid silver. Why eBay allows plated and solid coins in the same category is beyond me, as it just causes confusion.

20. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

eBay is not the problem.

eBay can be a great place to shop and there are very good buys on genuine coins, medals, bars, rounds. You just have to be smart about your buying. If it looks too good to be possibly true and if you are not very familiar with that type of product, stay away from buying / bidding.

There are many good, reputable, and honest sellers on eBay...far more than dishonest ones.

I have heard of forum members here selling and sending highly questionable coins (likely fakes). Allegedly, even big national dealers have sold fakes (probably unknowingly). So no matter where you shop, you have risk.

You just have to be smart about buying....no matter where you buy from.