Beware the disreputable 'stackers'

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by mmissinglink, Jul 24, 2016.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I have seen some experienced (though disreputable....I will explain in a moment) 'stackers' laud precious metals (PM's) as a good way to invest your money during the bull market in PM's yet these same 'stackers' (a vocal minority) have decried PM's as a poor way to invest one's money when we have been in a bear market. Even when there appears to be good indications that the bear market is at the end and a new bull market is beginning to develop, this same vocal minority of disreputable 'stackers' is decrying PM's. These 'stackers' come across as very disreputable and unscrupulous and I use 'stackers' specifically in quotes because I see them more as snake-oil salesmen, pumptards, and shills looking to deceive just to make profit from the novice, newbies, and people who are generally less informed about PM's.

I can make an educated guess that during the bear market, these 'stackers' are buying at the low prices (all the while claiming that PM's are not a good way to invest one's money) and come the height of the next bull market, these same disreputable 'stackers' will once again change their song and claim PM's are a great way to invest one's money.

Either precious metals can be a good way to invest one's money or it can't be. Just like every other commodity one can invest in, there are better and there are worse times to put a lot of money into that commodity. The better time is NOT when the slimy pumptard stacker claims it's a great time to buy PM's and the wore time is also NOT when the slimy pumptard stacker claims it's a great time to buy PM's....."buy, buy, buy!" they will exclaim.

The best advice for all new stackers is to get a good understanding of why you are interested in buying PM products and then learn as much as you can until you feel you have a good understanding of this area of concern before you sink a large portion of your money into metals. If you are buying small amounts along the way as you are learning....nothing wrong with that. Just keep in mind that there are some 'stackers' out there who aim to intentionally deceive you for their own personal gain.

In general (not in all cases), and especially when $ cost averaging in the goal to accumulate volume/ounces, when prices are comparatively low (during a bear market), it's a much better time to buy then when prices are comparatively high (in a bull market).

[​IMG]

2. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

Reminds me of Poseidon!

OC

3. Belvedere

Belvedere Active Member Silver Stacker

We may be the only two old enough to remember "that" particular scam/scheme.

4. Old Codger

I think Julie can remember, but maybe a gentleman should not say so!

I had a friend in my old Commercial Bank that had just paid off his mortgage. The mania began and he raised another mortgage and put the lot in Poseidon shares - at $280!

Cost him his marriage!

OC

5. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Disreputable...
    Non-reputable?
    Unreputable?

Hmmm...

6. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What part of the chart do you think we are at?

7. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

Maybe some think they are very clever when they make an investment that goes up, and want to share, but change there minds and want to warn people when it goes down.
    Might be just human nature.
    Changeable and forgetful, rather than devious.

8. mmissinglink

No, I am not referring to people like that. There are obviously people who make significant error judgements of the market and with good intention give wrong advice and even perhaps honestly forget to warn others of their blunder. But the 'stackers' I'm referring to know the market very well....they are smart people, usually been in the game for a while. They intentionally mislead. If they 'forget' to warn those they've misled...it's intentional forgetting.

I think Pirocco calls this type of 'stacker' "money for nothing clubbers" if I'm not mistaken. They are scoundrels looking to scam anyone they can, typically the new and unsuspecting gal/guy. They are also pretty good at not making it obvious that they are playing people....unless you have seen them operate for a while and then can see that they are misleading to a pattern.

Ipv6Ready, if that question was aimed at everyone, I would honestly think we are nearing the end of the stealth phase.

I'm not the only one who thinks that among other things, what happens in the 2016 U.S. Presidential election could have long term affects on markets and the US dollar.

As Barsenault has recently reminded me, you hope for the best but plan for the worst.

9. aleks

aleks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Or, there is always the possibility that the world is not black and white.

10. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm a proud member of the "money for nothing club" :cool:

11. Ipv6Ready

Stealth phase is close to what I was thinking, as I was thinking we were in awareness phase.

Hence I'm in acumulation phase

12. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

"And your chicks for free"

Julie, get ready for President Trump. I have been waiting for Hillary (HRC) to make one of her famous snatch-defeat-from-the-jaws-of-victory screw ups that she has done since Bill's first term as Governor of Arkansas. Today, the wait is over. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (DWS) had to step down as head of the DNC due to the information provided in the Wikileaks documents. Those documents showed the DNC aided HRC, while undermining Sander's campaign. But in possibly the stupidest move in the history of Presidential campaigns, HRC just hired DWS to be her honorary campaign chairperson. For those that still trusted HRC's judgment, this was the moment when they saw the real HRC and she just lost the independent votes. Game, set, match, the election should effectively be over.

13. Ipv6Ready

Don't you think the republican hq was undermining trump?

14. Kooka

Kooka New Member

Make that 3....

15. mmissinglink

You know next to nothing about politics in America if you believe that this Wasserman scandal will have any meaningful effect on the election.

By the end of tonight after Sanders gives his full endorsement of Clinton, most Democratic voters will have all but forgotten about that person who's email's were released by Wikileaks....what's her name anyway? :/

As for independent voters....they won't care much at all about this over the next few months. I think social issues and fiscal issues are going to be very important concerns in 2016 for indep voters.

It's a Republican fantasy wet dream to think that any meaningful number of Sanders' supporters would eschew Clinton for Trump. The Republicans chances for capturing the 2016 office of Presidency were doomed since about late April 2016. Unless Clinton falls very seriously ill or is killed before November (or unless there is an October surprise the likes we haven't seen in ages), the Republicans should already be making plans today to say "President Hillary Clinton" for the next 4 years.

I can't think of a US Presidential election which had two less liked candidates on opposing sides.....if ever "voting for the lesser of two evils" were true, it's in 2016 in the eyes of most US voters.

Good luck to America.....she will surely be needing a lot of it.

16. Old Codger

"Julie, get ready for President Trump"

Will he get assassinated first? They are well overdue for another one.

OC

17. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

18. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

You may just be reading people incorrectly.
    I know a handful of traders that would seem disingenuous to stackers when promoting what they see in their TA, particularly at this moment when there is a sniff that metals are going to do something.

They see grey where others see black and white, that often times makes their predictions seem misleading.

19. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just for the record.....

I am one of Pirocco's money-for-nothing clubbers. :lol:
    In fact, I am pretty sure he was debating with me when he coined the phrase.

The phrase has nothing to do with being scrupulous, or being a scammer.
    It refers to those who profitably trade paper of any kind. ;)

As for the scoundrels looking to scam anyone and preying on unsuspecting newbies... They would be the permabull experts..... The likes of Maloney and Schiff.

20. mmissinglink

wrcmad,

the only problem with pointing to people like Maloney and other permabulls is that permabulls, as far as I can tell, are permabulls all the time. The one's I'm referring to are not permabulls. They were, from my recollection, some of the people who were lauding physical precious metals (PPM's) as a good way to invest one's money for the future when metals were still at healthy price levels (by today's measure) and they are some of the people who more or less condemn PPM's as a poor way in which one can invest their money for the future in today's down market.

If anything, I would argue that when prices are comparatively low over the past several years as they have been over the past couple or so years that this is probably a better or good time to invest in PPM's for the future and when prices are historically high that such a time is not good or not as good a time for one to invest their money into PPM's.

Now there are folks like Old Codger who seem to be consistent in saying that any time is a good time to put money into PPM's for the future....that I can respect.....I might not agree fully as I think there is something good to say about stretching one's dollars and how buying high works against this principle, but at least there's consistency with Old Codger's reasoning....at least as I see it.