Any Premiums On Post Florins,Sixpence,Etc or Destined To Be Scrapped.

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by brexitbaby, Jul 19, 2016.

1. brexitbaby

brexitbaby New Member

Thanks in advance for your qualified comments.

I found a 1951 Florin today with my trusty metal detector and I also found a 1958 Sixpence a bit worse for wear last week.

I hope to find more Silvers as you do wondering what if any premium might be around (yes I know that condition is everything) or are they just destined to be scrapped.

I am not worried about the rare dates just you normal circulated 50% Silvers.

Thanks again.

2. Silver cracker

Silver cracker New Member

I haven't been in the game long but they tend to only really go for spot price.

3. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not sure what the rare dates are, but if it is in condition that says I've been burried in dirt for fifty years, have thick ugly black tarnish plus nicked all over than spot only, likely less than spot. Because who wants to buy two battered predecimals at spot when much better conditions are available at spot.

From what I've seen in for sale generally (small lots) only crowns in around average condition and other pre-decimals coins in better than average (a lot better in most cases) attracts a premium around 2%, though most go for spot.

If it is only one or two florins or six pence I've actually seen it go for well under spot if people buy roll of premium coins etc

Also postage is a killer normal but for the two coins you have, you would try to post in a letter I presume.
    Hope that helps

4. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Obviously there are scrap buyers too but few wants to pay spot especially 50% coins.

Note: I've bought scrap quality coins in the past, some of it was decent or better quality but I only paid below spot.

5. silver kook

silver kook Active Member

No premium you would be lucky to get spot in that condition.

6. kangawoo

kangawoo New Member

You never know what your going to find Brexitbaby, don't give up, the fun is in the hunt.

I have found over 300 silver coins in the last few years, some scarce and rare dates. The best thing about silver is it can stay in really good condition under the soil.

example
    [​IMG]
    Source:

I haven't tried selling any, so I can't say anything about premiums on post 1945 (50% silver) coins.

7. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you go back to basics, a 999 coin is always worth spot, regardless of condition, mintage, capsule, milk spots, tarnish, etc. Any premium, in purchase or sale is outside of its silver value and varies on a myriad of factors. 925 and 50 percentage predecimal coins would need be melted and refined to reach 999 standard so that is an expense to be deducted from spot.