2016 Nanjing Mint Panda Medal Release

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by KeepOnTrying!, Jul 12, 2016.

1. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

Initial photos of some of the soon to be released 2016 Nanjing Panda Medals were recently displayed by badon at the Coin Compendium Forum: https://forum.coincompendium.com/index.php?topic=4890.msg22212#msg22212

Attached are copies abstracted from the site.

It seems that these medals will be released in the next few weeks and are positioned as a continuation of the "endangered animal series" that started with the 2014 Nanjing Two Lovely Pandas.

As I understand it the series was initially planned to cover other endangered animals apart from the Panda but has been reimagined (at least for now) as a Panda medal series.

From information at CC Forum it seems like it will also be a low mintage medal series that will include silver (199 mintage), copper (199), Brass (100), antique copper (30) and antique brass (30) medals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I like it!

3. TasmaniaChrismy

TasmaniaChrismy Member

Hmm.... my first impression - Giant RAT????

4. mmissinglink

Even better.....I adore rodents!

:D

5. sgcoins

sgcoins Member

This looks much better dan the first one!!!

6. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I agree with sgcoins. I personally really like it. Kudos to Lucky. I'm sure it will be a fast sellout. This series has been a big hit.

7. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

I noticed that the copper (199 mintage) and brass (99 mintage) medals are on pre-order at Lucky's website (Luckpawnshop).

http://www.luckpawnshop.com/products_new.html

From what I read there it seems these two medals will be available from ?August 10.

Anyway that is FYI.

Best wishes.

8. numistacker

numistacker Member

I have ordered both of these from Lucky. I missed out on the 2014 and i think these are even better. Mintage is slightly lower and If these are going to turn into a Nanjing Panda series I think they will be great to collect.

9. sgcoins

sgcoins Member

I have ordered the regular brass medal. I think this is a great buy with a mintage off only 99, at $100. The antique brass and copper are in pre sale aswell at $500 the set, but i'm not into antique coins and medals. I think the are just a hype from the last two years, and I believe that in 30 years time nobody is interested in them anymore.

10. mmissinglink

No one really knows what type will or will not maintain a strong premium years down the road.

Even short term it's very difficult to predict. Just as an example, about 2-3 years ago, 2008 Perth Mint Lunar 2 Series 1 oz silver BU colored Mouse coins on eBay were being sold for considerably less than the regular BU version. These days, it looks like they are being offered for and selling for generally higher prices than the regular BU version.

The point is, such things are virtually impossible to predict short term....let alone long term.

Personally, I don't care either way if the finish is antiqued or not. What important to me is the quality of the design itself. That there may be a non-antiqued version and an antiqued version of a good design that I like simply means I would consider getting both versions.

11. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

I believe (IMO) that the various medal finishes we now have available give collectors more options to choose what they like best (a.k.a buy what you like!). Some may like the copper hue or brass, others like silver or the antiqued medals. The longterm investment potential of these and other medal finishes is difficult to predict at the moment AFAIK.

12. numistacker

numistacker Member

It is nice to have the options. I really like the antique finish. I have the Panda Lunar Goar and Monkey Antique and I find it much easier on the eye than the shiny proof on the other hand my "value" may be just because only 99 were minted who knows. Best to keep an eye on sold listings and trends to see where this market is going.

13. Wafdawg

Wafdawg Member

It is usually about the value potential for me. At $500 pre sell, I'm inclined to believe that the upside has been baked into the price. Would make more sense to see it priced in the 2-300 range.

14. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I did a private sell Saturday 4 pcs antique lunar. 3 goat 1 monkey. No selling price will release but it is around our webpage price. Low mintage and it is silver not brass and cooper.

15. numistacker

numistacker Member

Pricing is tough.
    The antique are priced as a pair and have a mintage of 30 so they are never going to be priced at $200 as that would make them the same as the Brass with a mintage of 99.

If they were priced at $300 for the pair then it would be 30% more cost for 200% more rarity so that would be such a bargain they would sell out in minutes.

At $500 they may take 1 or 2 weeks to sell out and that's $250 per coin which is about right for the relative rarity between the brass and antique.

It does not build in much of a premium over the brass given the mintage and so in many ways the brass/copper set is the better buy at $500

16. numistacker

numistacker Member

Just uploaded a new video on the Nanjing Pandas.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2N6jHjqufg[/youtube]

17. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

The brass medal is no more listed on luckpawnshop. Reason unknown. Prices of the two remaining 2016 Nanjing medal types have also been increased.

18. mmissinglink

Supply and demand.

19. numistacker

numistacker Member

With only 100 available its not surprising they have been allocated already.

20. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

believe it. the price will up