$2200 worth of gold purchased on this forum missing!

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by SeverousSilver, Jul 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeverousSilver

SeverousSilver Member

I am incredibly overwhelmed by the response from the SS community in a time of need. I believe that what has been achieved throughout this topic and how everyone here has made myself and everyone else as a community feel is more valuable than anything financial. Everyone here has given me the strength to put this behind me and not look back at what could have, should have or would have been and to move forward with a positive mind equipped with the knowledge to safely continue stacking long into the future. You have already repaid me in value far more than anything that was lost and it is for that reason I wouldn't feel right accepting any of the extraordinarly generous offerings. I just want to say a huge thank you to everyone!

2. Saratoga

Saratoga Active Member Silver Stacker

Hi mate,

Sorry to hear about possible negligence by AusPost.
    If you asked for SoD then AusPost keep a digital image of the signature and therefore they will be able to retrieve the image if you ask them to.
    Australia Post must also prove that someone signed for the parcel. It is the serve that the sender paid for (assuming SoD was requested by the sender).

I will ask tomorrow at AusPost HQ in Melbourne what actions or remedies are available to you. However I will need the type of service the sender used.

In future I I highly recommend signing up to a parcel locker which is secure trackable via SMS, email, online portal and also monitored by CCTV.

Cheers

3. robertc400

robertc400 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Its not much, but I have 4 x 1/2 silver Scotties for you.
    Send me a PM when you get the PO Box.
    Hope you get your coins back :)

4. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

To the OP:

Being down $2200 sucks.
    It could be a lot worse though.

Good on forum members for being so generous.

5. SeverousSilver

SeverousSilver Member

Just an update on the missing coins - I have contacted the police, all the banks and pawn brokers in the vicinity, I have put signs up in the apartment complex, contacted the real estate agent who said she was going to call everyone and searched through the bins all to no avail. The Australia post report is still under investigation and by the sounds of it they are of the opinion the driver was at fault. Whether there is any compensation is another story as i think the total face value of coins sent via Aus Post is $200 unless sent as signature on delivery where the value is unlimited so the parcel may be deemed prohibited. Will let everyone know the outcome when i am contacted by Aus Post. Hopefully in the next day or two. Fingers are crossed!

6. brexitbaby

brexitbaby New Member

Good luck,but even if the wrong is not righted you have plenty of good will with good stuff to help you to move forward.

Hopefully your trust will be restored to some degree.

Good luck again :)

7. Midastouchofgold

Midastouchofgold Active Member Silver Stacker

Ring up Auspost tell them what happened, and tell them the post office, parcel type, weight, and time it was lodged. They may have the data stored in their system.

8. Acorn

Acorn Well-Known Member

9. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There's an end to this story and some lessons learned.

I'd hoped SeverousSilver would have responded, however as the other party I feel I can share this.

As in the OP, we determined a price, $2200, and I mailed four coins when funds cleared. Unfortunately SeverousSilver advised his street address wrongly, and I sent the package to this wrong address. His amending PM arrived after mailing. I assumed AustPost would return the package as 'unable to deliver'.

The day after delivery, I received a phone call from the AustPost delivery man (since my phone number was on the package) saying 'No such number'.

I advised the corrected address, not knowing it was also incorrect. I'd originally been advised the flat number, and SeverousSilver had amended with the building number. The AustPost driver would probably not have been able to connect the two numbers.

I corresponded with SeverousSilver fairly intensively over the next few days. If you read the OP you'll get the gist of it. His fear was that the coins had been stolen, or taken by the driver.

I felt a liability since: I had advised the driver to redirect the package. I had not kept my receipt to prove Sign on Delivery, and I had neglected to describe 'At your risk' in the transaction (despite my own advice here).

I therefore decided to send SeverousSilver two additional coins, being half the four that had gone missing. Assuming 50% liability.

Both of us were thus a little unhappy at how the trade had worked out.

Then, about a week ago, the package in question was returned to my PO Box.

I contacted SeverousSilver advising such and offered to 1. Receive back the 2 coins I'd sent in settlement of liability, or 2. Receive payment for an additional two coins and mail the original package, or 3. Mail 2 additional coins.

SeverousSilver opted for option 2 - paying for the additional two coins I sent, and when funds were received I mailed the original package to his newly obtained PO Box.

AustPost tracking confirms the delivery, as does SeverousSilver, and I have filed the Signature on Delivery receipt.

In summary:

I suggest traders here include mobile numbers for their packages.
    I'd reiterate, no street addresses.
    Australia Post's delivery records are not necessarily accurate.
    If properly packaged and labelled you'll most likely receive back any undelivered parcel.

There is also the possibility that a thief got cold feet and decided the best option was to put it in the nearest mailbox with 'return - no address' but I think it was likely a comedy of errors that occurred.

Finis.

p.s. and I have learned:
    Only PO Boxes.
    Keep receipts even after delivery.
    Phone numbers on parcel are valuable.
    Aust Post drivers are probably honest and show commonsense.

10. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Very glad to hear that this story has a happy ending. Well done JulieW and thanks for the update.

Offering 50% of the liability is more than anyone could have expected or many would have offered in similar circumstances. You're a class act. A true credit to silver stackers. If there were more people like you in the world it would be a much better place. :)

11. Sid

Sid Member

Wow, after Such intense discussion on the forum and the subsequent generosity of forum members it seems a little disappointing that the OP would not share the positive outcome and learnings from this experience. Excellent news though and well handled JulieW. :)

12. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Let's give him a benefit of the doubt, that he will respond, now Julie has. Maybe he didn't want to revive this thread.

13. SeverousSilver

SeverousSilver Member

??? This is the first I have heard of this.. I had amended the correct address Julie? To you the night before the express post package was delivered and i had the package diverted by Australia post before it was even sorted at the warehouse for delivery?

From my perspective this wasn't about the re-directed address as I had spoken to the delivery man in person the following day at the front of my apartment who had confirmed he had spoken to you and advised he had "slid the package under the front gate" and the package was marked as delivered on Australia post records. So up until you advised that it had been returned to sender given i had the post mans word he delivered - it wasn't a "fear" it was a reality that it was delivered and taken. I honestly cant fathom as to how this package has even turned up over a month later and i don't think we will ever truly know what actually happened.

I very much appreciated your offer to send the 2 coins Julie and thought i had made that clear to you. I thought we had made peace with what had happened and i admit i was very emotional in some of the early messages but at no point had i ever directed anything at you personally or blamed you for anything and took all you said in trust and good faith to do with the signature on delivery issues. I think this statement gives the impression we parted ways angrily and wanted to clear that up. I am very thankful for your honesty not only with the returning of the missing coins but also the sending of the compensatory 2 coins i think you have showed great integrity.

I also need to clear up that this was only sorted out on Wednesday this week and before i had made it public knowledge I wanted to wait until i had sorted out re-reimbursement for the kind members of the forum Scrooged, Raven, Millededge and Belvedere who had generously contributed to helping with the loss who i now want to re-imburse for their generosity not only for what they have sent but also a gift (which i was sorting out this weekend) as a token of my appreciation for what they have done for me.

I am very thankful this has turned out positively - it has been one roller coaster of a ride with many lessons learned for me too and many strong positive things that have come out of what seemed at a time so negative! I'll be a silverstackers regular and contributor for a long time to come after the immense compassion everyone here has shown me.

14. matt_kcd

matt_kcd Member

Sheer incompetence and cost-cutting!

I've had similar things happen in the past, items missing for months only to turn up or be returned months later.

My delivery guy had no issues faking my signature on deliveries and when I complained he told the complaints people I was disabled (which I am not) and he was doing me a favour!

15. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Po box
    Nuff said

16. silversearcher

silversearcher Active Member Silver Stacker

I'd like to see the tracking number ? As this tracking number must have been sent to SeverousSilver in a PM once posted. Something about this entire story that.......... Besides if the package is sent signature on delivery it doesn't end up at either a PO Box or a home mail box anyway.

17. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No offence silversearcher but the details of the transaction are none of your business.

Severoussilver chose to post about this. That was his choice but I would have advised against until all avenues were exhausted.

Having been so subtly slighted in various posts in this thread, I put my reply above explaining the outcome, which is all the detail I'm prepared to post. SeverousSilver responded, has his coins and that, as far as I am concerned, is that.

18. silversearcher

silversearcher Active Member Silver Stacker

Well if it's none my business or other members business why mention anything on a public forum anyway ? Interesting story anyway as it looks as SeverousSilver denies vital elements within the story. Anyway, the main thing he has his coins and the moral of the story is due diligence - SIGNATURE ON DELIVERY always !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.