Has this happened to anyone? (eBay Lunar coin condition)

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by jamesgonewild, Aug 8, 2013.

1. silverzman

silverzman Active Member Silver Stacker

Take lots of pictures for proof :p

2. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Still curious?

3. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I am curious what is the reason to resurrect an old thread like this :rolleyes:

4. Fat Penguin

Fat Penguin Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There's a fierce battle going on right now.

5. Hp1173

Hp1173 Active Member Silver Stacker

Haha good finding!!!

6. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I know one thing, I won't be selling individual coins, all mine will go out as a roll, and if someone opts to open the roll, then they're stuck with them, because they'll need to return it back in the condition they got them. I know, I'm Mr. smarty pants. That's why I only buy rolls. And if the Perth Mint coins are not close to the price of eagles and maples (maybe a buck more), I won't buy them, because their quality sucks as bad as maples and eagles. I buy them because of the change of design and low mintage. But I never hold my breath any longer on quality. Perth Mint you suck big bags of dog poop for compromising on quality, you losers.

7. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

I'm not really a roll guy, since I'm poor & my limited funds go elsewhere..

But once I sold some Perth coins individually on eBay. Stated that they would be peeled from a roll as I go, no cherry-picking.

They all look great, except for one in the middle, closer to the bottom. HUGE milk-spot -- Nay, milk-*area*! Covered like 1/4 of the coin.

I felt a little bad sending it off, but I guess a buyer takes their chances in that situation. He never said a word about it, and even left me positive feedback.

So, yeah.. Anybody with a Perth roll? Potential for some milk.

barsenault: What would you do if one of the end coins in a roll developed milk-spots?

8. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

sell it to APMEX or Provident when silver is $500.00 an ounce. :D :D :D

9. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

if the buyer returns you're obligated to refund. It sucks but unless the description discloses it has a milk spot, then it doesn't fit the description accurately. I've won disputes like this. I also list if the coin has a spot and charge a restock fee if they don't like it. Since its as described, I can charge the restock fee. Never had to though.

10. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

The seller has some obligation to look at the coin and determine its condition. A seller cannot just say tough, it was the next one off the roll. Any reputable seller would work with the buyer to find a positive resolution and if they do not you can just go to the resolution center and open a case. As a seller myself I always try to put my buyer first and think of things from their perspective. It is not always so easy to buy coins from pictures and as a seller, I just appreciate the position that puts a buyer in and subsequently focus on customer satisfaction. Buyers make all kinds of silly, ridiculous, overly picky, unreasonable claims. However, without buyers, I don't have a business so it is in a seller's best interest to learn to deal effectively with these types of matters. Myself, I just have a no questions asked return policy. Once in a while, it gets abused, but by in large most people are just trying to do business and the comfort it gives customers more than makes up for any extra cost I incur as a result of abuse.

So, the bottom line is the seller should make things right with you. If they don't just go to the resolution center and unemotionally state your case. You will win.

11. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Hey, don't get me wrong: I would have happily either exchanged it or partially refunded, should the buyer have said something..

But they didn't -- so I didn't.

Probably in the minority, but there are some out there who don't mind milk-spots.

And I should note that since that one occasion, I now accurately describe/photograph if I believe something significant enough needs to be noted & the buyer be made aware of ahead of time.

This milk-area coin thing happened a long time ago, and nowadays I would have put it aside to sell for cheaper elsewhere.

Point being, milk may lie in them thar Perth rolls..

12. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Not sure selling rolls on ebay or individuals would be any different! its like saying no returns accepted if you open the purchased items original packaging! everyone has to open the packaging to see if the goods are faulty or not so ebay would not accept the no return policy statement.

Silver bullion coin speculator buyers may have put their own false faith/premium on rolls and packaging because that packaging has now shown it cannot protect milk spot prone coins from spotting and eventually every secondary buyer will want to know the condition of each milk spot prone coin they are buying including those in rolls because spotted coins as professed by so many are only worth spot.

By saying:

" if someone opts to open the roll, then they're stuck with them, because they'll need to return it back in the condition they got them."

demonstrates you do not really care at all about customer/purchasers satisfaction unless you sell them at a reduced price to mint quality single coin prices,this is because nobody opening a coin roll would want a refund unless the coins were in fact faulty. :)

13. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

Question to the few people here that bought coins in the $5 decades when US Mint sold 6M instead of 40M ASE's / year.
    Milk spot plagues back then?
    And those that bought these old coins in recent 40M ASE's years, any milk spots degree difference from those produced now?