State of your portfolio

Discussion in 'Stocks & Derivatives' started by intelligencer, Jul 7, 2016.

1. intelligencer

intelligencer Active Member

Some might still remember me but it's been a while since I've posted.

Around mid 2012 I had basically moved on from physical PM in so far as I was sorted for a good while. I sold a few assets and downgraded my car freeing up about 95k all up. I put it all into gold shares despite having been burned by FML and BDR as well as SLR in the last period when the gold price crashed.

I'm a set and forget type, buy and hold etc. The 95k was "play" money in that if I hadn't sold the assets and downgraded the car it would have all evaporated in depreciation etc. So apart from seeing it go down in value all the way to 57k around 2013-2014 I didn't touch the portfolio at all. No day trading etc. Just buy and hold, even the dogs.

I checked on the portfolio earlier this year to see it had recovered to about 101k.

Last Friday I checked to see........

[​IMG]

and today........

[​IMG]

This is probably nowhere near the gains of others as I've had some significant dogs that still haven't broken even: FML, BDR and SLR among them but the winners have been stunning.

A very modest portfolio compared to some players at hotcopper and here I'm sure but just an example of how buy and hold can work for lazy investors if you spread your buys out a bit and have some luck on your side.

2. Abossy

Abossy Active Member Silver Stacker

Lol I'd be happy with a Quarter of that!

Nice work on the hold. It's far too easy to get caught up in the emotion when your sitting on a big paper loss. SLR was a dog too for a long time.

3. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Look forward to hearing from you next time you have a magnificent victory to gloat about #I hate success

4. intelligencer

Monday had an 11k gain, the biggest one day move I've seen but it gives you an idea of the sorts of movement we will see as this bull market really gets going.

Remember this last 6 months has just been the smart money and funds getting some exposure to gold. It's nowhere near where it's all headed.

The portfolio got down to a low of 57k so if I had timed it perfectly I could have got in as cheap as that, but I knew these days would come despite my wife berating me for over a year for not realising that gold was finished.

As it stands someone wanting to get the same/similar portfolio would now have to find 200k spare to participate to the same degree. That's an advantage of getting in early.

I'll continue to post updates from time to time as the bull market progresses.

Needless to say I'm wondering just how heady this is all going to get. I mean a 11k one day move has already happened! I'm wondering if this will get to 25k one day moves or 50k, or dare I think it 100k??

My wife caught me watching some review videos for the Ferrari 488 last night and just laughed. She knows I'm way too conservative to buy one in real life and that I'd only spend a maximum of 10% of my non real estate wealth on a car. So the portfolio has a long way to go before a Ferrari 488 appears in my driveway.

5. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

I thought it was going to be a Beemer?

6. Abossy

Abossy Active Member Silver Stacker

Can you share your other ASX holdings? Not dollar amounts, just the equity...

I recommend people look abroad also. I just sold out some NUGT on the nyse which is a triple leveraged gold miner play for a decent gain. This was trading back at $20 in Jan so almost a 10 bagger if you got in then.

7. Killface

Killface Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Are you tempted to take any profits now?

8. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Respect! You must have one large hairy set of gonads M8.

9. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

He's back! Well done indeed.

10. Silverstrat

Silverstrat Member

Good post Intell, the temptation for profits must be huge, especially with the wife peering over your shoulder.
    In the same boat sort of, started buying in August, total newbie but timing was perfect,SLR 13 c BLK 20c,BDR 15c,SAR 53 c,NST $2.67 from memory.Made the mistake of listening to friends saying take the profit and did way too early but bought back in later and still well up.Backed a few dogs WCN, LSR,MKO etc and bailed on a few good ones too early SAU,BYR,EXU etc .
    Total learning curve but learnt some lessons the hard way.Really enjoy the stocks and looking at the shiney physical and am convinced this is the start of something huge, will be mainstream soon and then look at tapping out.....taking profits now pffft no way.Best of luck.

11. intelligencer

This was Monday, and in future I might post only when a new one day record is broken; whether it be up or down......

[​IMG]

No temptation at all to sell or take profits.

12. scrooged

scrooged New Member

This is probably only the beginning in this run. Great work.

13. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

SLR might have been a dog if you bought in then, but for those like me that bought in at the bottom after that (that lasted a long time), the gains have been fantastic.
    Well done on a great result effectively riding out the slump and making a big profit on the other side.

14. intelligencer

No temptation to sell at all.

I don't know how that sounds but until (an unknown obviously) it gets to 750k+ and more like 1m+ it wouldn't be terribly life changing for me. I live pretty modestly, own my home and my car, no personal debt. If it went to zero it wouldn't be the end of the world. I'm not James Packer or anywhere near as rich but think about what he would think of this amount if it was lost. He can afford to lose it perhaps. To be honest I wouldn't want to but I don't have a huge lifestyle etc to upkeep and could go on without thinking about it.

I don't think I even checked what the portfolio was worth between 2014 and late last year! The money was kind of "written off" in my mind a long time ago. I lived without it and didn't depend on it or what happened to it.

I think I've got the patience and strong hands to ride this out till the end I think. Even if it drops fom the very top I'll get out before its back to where it is today so anything above the level I bought at is good.

As for my wife, it's "play" money so my wife has no say in it. She knows that it would have become nothing had I just let it depreciate in the assets so there's no conflict about it but suffice it so say she has changed her tune about my decision to go all in on gold.....

15. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

If there is one thing I've learned, it's hold, hold, hold, unless:
    a) You desperately need the money
    b) Have an absolute sure thing on something else.
    c) it turns into a 10 bagger or the market segment has obviously had it's run. In the case of mining, we seems to be on the start of a new bull run.

I've got some dogs in my account that have dropped by up to 80%, but oh well, I've written them off, not worth getting the now pultry sum back out, might as well hold them for years and see if they recover.

16. intelligencer

Good stuff!

I bought SLR at 0.794 and I'm still down on it.

After the whole porfolio went down 30% in the year after I entered I have to confess I felt very deflated about it all.

I bought NCM at 14.42 and watched it slide to 9 and below.

I remember at one point telling my wife I wanted to buy another jumbo parcel at that point but she talked me out of it....

I remember SLR in the teens and could easily have got more but wasn't to be as I genuinely felt completely deflated regarding gold. That should have been a sign of the bottom if any and I should have bought, but didn't because even as a permabull on gold I was absolutely broken at that point.

Anyhow I'll be looking at pullbacks to consider putting in a bit more in the next 6 months.

17. scrooged

scrooged New Member

This is key.

It's gambling people. Never bet more than you can afford to lose.

18. Wy So Lo

Wy So Lo New Member

Well done and a slap on the back. https://youtu.be/CXGh3_kUbSQ Great charting here. VERY bullish, for the miners. Really appreciate you putting it up for us.

19. radiobirdman

radiobirdman Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Why does the market always fire up on school holidays.
    Hey dad all day is a little bit distracting, god bless em

20. aleks

aleks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

HODL