icarus got too close to the sun <Sideways>

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Court Jester, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

it is when as a physical stacker there is a buy / sell spread that takes a big chunk of that "noise" and these spikes up not lasting more than a few mins makes it almost impossible to capture the top.

and for the muppets that bleet "but but you can sell here"

have a look at the FS forum now -- its a buyers market many people offering various silver for sale atm for spot or less.-- why would you stuff around here in this type of market offering for spot here when you can take it into and dealer and get spot for your silver on the spot. Offering it at spot + the premiums you paid would likely result in it not moving at the moment unless it was something special potentially missing this minor uptick.

2. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

I get where you're coming from, reason I think stacking cheap bullion isn't worth it.
    Having said that, you take the low of last year and the recent high of this year - that's a decent profit to be had regardless of premiums.

I'm not saying silver has been a good investment in recent years, I'm arguing the definition of sideways.

3. Court Jester

that is assuming you bought right at the low and sold right at the top -- which was virtually impossible with how long each peak lasted.

even if it was off slightly from either and say you bought @ $19/oz and sold @ $26 AUD

you would need hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of physical silver to get to a point to make it worth while I doubt anyone here made a GOOD return vs other asset classes when you take into account the actual costs associated with owning physical silver. Even with the small up tick we have seen no one here is retiring on their silver profits -- UNLESS they have only been investing in paper silver.

Over the last 3 years the money would have been far better off invested in property or shares or really any other income producing asset EVEN IF you did manage to sell high after buying low in silver picking the top / bottom of the market.

4. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

100% agree, talking to a guy without a stack (semi numis aside). I don't even have a desire to get back into metals going forward in truth, but I digress.

$19 to $27 is not sideways, that's a move dreams are made of. It was not a blip up and down, so while the odds are bad you picked both extremes, there has been money to be had in the last few months without much problem.
    I don't expect you'll ever quit saying sideways, rather you'll just move 'A' and 'B' points to suit your viewpoint - and that is why you'll continue to cop it from everyone.

5. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yawn.

Threads like these do seem to be a form of masturbation.

If I didn't know better I would say CJ is trolling you all. But I've since learnt that he is just a bit *special* and needs the attention.

6. Court Jester

im pretty stubborn and dont usually change my view point that easily.

7. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That is pretty obvious how you jump all over the place with data referencing when a hole gets blown through the side of your "sideways" theory.

Again, your empirical data is the quicksand supporting the foundations of Casa Del Sideways.

8. Court Jester

not a theory but still an actual fact my friend.

<sideways>

[​IMG]

9. scone

scone Active Member Silver Stacker

its must be sad always looking for demise at any opportunity

10. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's the internet, mate. People dig holes in real life and spend the rest of their time filling them here.

11. Court Jester

I dont, I hold silver I would love it to go to $50/oz ( or to a point where I can make a meaningful return on my investment )

but the sad reality is it wont anytime soon and it is a dead asset and has been for 3+ years now compared to other income producing asset classes.

12. scone

scone Active Member Silver Stacker

I hope you have used this opportunity to buy up. It has certainly been good for bringing down the average price of a stack.
    If you got into metals in 2012 at $45 more than likely you didn't buy the majority of your stack on your first buy, hopefully that was done at $19 some tears later.
    $27 could easily be the average price of a stack started in 2012 so from here in is up and away if it keeps moving forward.

13. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I support your right to your opinion CJ.
    Mulling it over I want you to keep thinking sideways.
    Less competition for me with assumptions like that.
    Keep spruiking CJ.

14. Court Jester

I started buying in the mid 20's and stopped in the low 30's and sold most of my silver in the high 20's on the way back down I lost a little on some of that. I have bought a simila amount as to what I sold @ an average of <$20. even if I sold now its not enough to really make a difference for me.

I have the silver as a forced savings measure to stop my impulse buying (drunk bidding on ebay )

15. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

And its back up again.
    I think you may have quoted a good prediction in your signature CJ.
    Putting that aside if you purchased silver 1 month ago you have a 20% return in a month. If I could do that every month I would be a very wealthy man in a short time so don't knock these ups and downs cj , you see sideways, I see buying and selling opportunities

16. Court Jester

in reality its not a 20% return as I have a buy / sell spread and postage costs to get my silver to me but hey dont let facts get in the way of a good story.

also that prediction in my signature is 3 years old and still not correct.

17. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

CFD's make it a reality. :D

18. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think that cj can fall into the same category as people who say silver will hit $1000. No matter what happens he will look for reasons to justify his opinions. I try to look for opportunities to maximise my wealth instead and silver has proven to be a good vehicle for that. As has numismatics, antiques and even gold!
    We can't all be used car salesmen

19. silversearcher

silversearcher Active Member Silver Stacker

Yep serial...I will have to agree with this statement. Like the part about " maximise my wealth instead and silver has proven to be a good vehicle for that. As has numismatics, antiques and even gold!".....People do not acknowledge other forms of wealth building - ie antiques.
    Nice if Leon can show a spread sheet of his latest win. Like to see the timeline on this latest call. :)

20. Court Jester

paper silver -- yes yes your profits would be much better and I never denied that.

some might say here though if you dont hold it you dont own it.

I hold silver to hold it I can speculate on other stocks if I wanted to gamble in the paper market.