Brexit Wins- UK to Leave the EU

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by House, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I don't know where you get the idea that Britain's welfare system is generous.

Actual data from the OECD and EuroStat says Britain is about average compared to the EU in some areas and downright stingy in others. Britain's unemployment benefits, for example, are the third lowest in Europe. You're way better off being out of work in Norway or France or Belgium than in the UK. Or basically anywhere except Switzerland, Ireland or the UK.

Even as a percentage of GDP, Britain's welfare spending is only about the EU average (actually a little bit less).

2. madaw1

madaw1 Well-Known Member

Wait another few months than the discount will be 30 percent.

3. This is essentially true but hardly new or surprising to us tin foil hat wearing paranoids.
    The planning and implementation of the new world order has been evident to me for most of my adult life and all I see now is the culmination of all I once tried to warn others about.
    I hardly ever bother discussing this now as it became apparent to me several years ago that this new order was now inevitable and the only solution was to wait for the whole rotten system to destroy itself and then try to rebuild from the ashes.

[​IMG]

4. GeordieGirl

GeordieGirl Member

Not sure that's its actually going to 'destroy itself', though I certainly believe in the destruction. So who do you think is going to be in charge of the rebuilding?

5. Admittedly it's partially wishful thinking on my part that this decaying and hopelessly corrupt system will self destruct and pave the way for a new utopia but it is apparent we are on a very destructive course that seems irreversible.

Who will be in charge of rebuilding? Impossible to answer or even speculate on.
    The survivors, I guess. I'm no longer religious so I discount Jesus as a prospect
    Maybe the silver stackers will be the new pioneers. Fly the Mayflower to a distant land and start again.
    There is a great old Vangellis song "the Mayflower" that inspires my imagination about this.
    I do hope to see the end of this hopelessly broken system in my lifetime and a new age of civilized Humanity dawn. :)

6. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!

7. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Those numbers are based on a demographic estimate and also do not take into account the relative voting turnout spread across different age groups.

8. GeordieGirl

GeordieGirl Member

Interesting. For someone 'no longer religious' and therefore 'discounting Jesus', you speaking of your desire to see this 'hopelessly broken system' renewed and a 'new age of civilised Humanity dawn' sounds a little contradictory. Jon and Vangellis inspired my imagination, too, back in the '80's. I, too, am hoping to be alive to see this renewed and cleansed society occur, but I am a believer and the more I see this system collapsing, the hatred, the violence, the wars, to say nothing of the immorality, corruption and abject chaos, the more I believe .... and that it is very close. :)

9. I am truly happy for you and actually envy you a little. I was a Pastor once but I was butchered by my brethren and can never forget the experience.
    I am not religious but I am still spiritual, if that makes sense.
    Anyway, way off topic and very painful so I'll say no more about that.

A preacher, a peado and a con-man, walk into a bar.... He orders a drink! ;)

10. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I would have like to ask about your Pastor past if it wasn't painful reminders for you.

btw, I was never religious but I am spiritual. But not the new age spiritual stuff if you know what I mean.

11. Yep, I know what you mean. I'm not new age either, rather, a free spirit I suppose.
    I would have to think about discussing this and if so I'm not sure that this is the right venue.
    I'll think about it and perhaps PM you.
    Cheers. :)

12. GeordieGirl

GeordieGirl Member

I understand spiritual without religion and not the new agey stuff. My ex went totally new age after we split up and he is a total loop head and that is not sour grapes, everyone recognises it. Sorry about your painful experience, Silver bullitt and I am sorry that it turned you away from God.

13. motorbikez

motorbikez Member Silver Stacker

LOL I live in the UK, we have another google keyboard warrior in Big A.D., the headline cash amount people get is not the only thing to look at in the UK. Any EU migrant can get free housing if they have children the council is obliged to house them whether they work or not.They have full access to the NHS,if they have any disease serious or otherwise drugs & treatment is totally free they have the same rights as the indigenous population to seek help from the NHS .If it costs 100 or 10,000 per year to treat them it makes no difference. Free schooling for their kids including free meals.

There was outrage in London a couple of years ago when some deadbeat family was living in a million pound house being paid for on housing benefit at a cost of 8000 per month, but it was legal, so don't tell me that is not generous. The government I believe have now capped the amount that can be paid on housing benefit to 20,000 per year which is still an incredible amount of money.

if our benefits system is so bad why are these squalid camps set up on the French coast filled with thousands of economic migrants wanting to come to the UK surely if the UK is so stingy as you put it why don't they claim benefits in France. Allegedly these are asylum seekers but none have passports or will say which country they have come from so they can claim benefits in the UK,if they can break into some poor truckers trailer.

Since you are familiar with the daily mail have a look at this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Its-like-finding-sackful-cash-left-road.html

14. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I was unemployed when I first moved to the UK, the amount of money they give you in handouts is pathetic, I think I got about $62 a week to live on and as I was working for a temp agency, I never actually received it. If you earned any money that would come straight off the benefits.

However, if you go beyond the paltry sum of money that is on offer and actually play the system properly you can do really well out of it. Dental, medical, opticians, housing, food, family allowance, travel, retraining, jobseekers, the list goes on. Some mothers find that it is not financially viable to go back to work after giving birth because they would lose so much in benefits. Even if they enjoy their work they would have less money to spend as they would have to pay for everything.

I haven't seen the benefits in other countries so I can't compare them to what I experienced in the UK but I would say it is pretty generous to be able to live completely off the state and have them pay for your housing, schooling, food and all medical expenses.

15. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

That's the problem, no one, no group, not anybody that has ever lived or ever will live possesses perfect knowledge. As a result, any plan instigated by central planners will result in a cock up. Far better to not have a plan than attempt to plan. :)

What a dick. Don't need to say anymore. :/

You mean this sort of diplomacy? This type of bureaucracy?:

http://www.news.com.au/world/europe...t/news-story/6af2f3fa812e69fbca196e42dd3163e2

So free trade is fine as long as you are trading on the German leader's terms? So much for philosophy. Screw their own people, screw the British people, screw the manufacturers and producers just to spite the UK for having the common sense and the political balls to realise that sovereignty and independence should not be traded away. And it will be the consumers who in the end will pay the price for the EU's stubbornness and petty mindedness.

16. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Those German car companies can stop selling their cars to England. That'll tech 'em a lesson not to mess with the EU.

17. motorbikez

motorbikez Member Silver Stacker

The German car industry has already told Merkel not to be too stupid with the UK as the UK is the biggest export market in the world for German car manufacturers.

To be fair Merkel is one of the few European leaders who are trying to steady the ship so to speak, it is no ones benefit to make life difficult re trade.

18. aleks

aleks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Looks like EU are leaders doubling down and under no circumstances will they back track on the EU project, admit they have made mistakes or move towards reform, this will likely give momentum to pro leave groups remaining countries.

19. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If it hasn't already I think the focus soon shifts to Italy.

Italian banks in big trouble and Italian government wants to bail them out. EU wants Italy to exercise bail in laws. Could be a standoff that might escalate into a serious issue.

20. scrooged

scrooged New Member

Extract:

'The EU: The Truth About The Fourth Reich - How Hitler Won The Second World War' argues the single currency, the free market and even the phrase "United States of Europe" were all dreamt up by high ranking Nazis, including the Fuhrer himself.

It also claims the only country which benefits from the EU is Germany - just as Hitler planned.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world...many-WON-the-Second-World-War-claims-new-book