Brexit Wins- UK to Leave the EU

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by House, Jun 24, 2016.

1. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If there's one thing worse than a professional politician, it's a journalist politician ...

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/25/boris-johnson-michael-gove-eu-liars

2. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Politicians lie to win elections.

Mainstream media lies to sell newspapers or make a buck or curry favor some other way.

I trust neither.

I'm not buying into any emotional debate. There are clearly a lot of jaded remain voters around and I'm not invested enough to care about a campaign that lost. But complaining about not having a detailed "leave plan" is a bit like complaining that the Liberals/Labor aren't putting a detailed 4 year "how we will run the country plan" on the table before the election.

The guts of it is this - The UK public wants to get out of the EU. It is up to the leaders of the country to figure out how to make this happen. Up until now the leaders of the country didn't want to and so now the leadership must change.

3. whinfell

BuggedOut - I'm not disagreeing. I think the leaders of 'Leave' campaign sold the UK public a lemon, and now those same shonky leaders are going to be the ones in charge of "figuring it out".

4. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Fully agree it's fanciful to think the party in "opposition" like the brexit would have a detailed plan, and fully understandable too.
    Let's just hope brexit have a enough capable people to organise a swift withdrawal. The workload just increased five fold.

5. scrooged

scrooged New Member

How so?

6. whinfell

Many of those who voted to leave have done so in the belief of a "better Britain" - being masters of their own destiny and other idealist notions. I think that what they're going to find is that reality is starkly different -

* While the formal exit from the EU may take 2 to 2.5 years, the ramifications are going to last for a generation or more.
    * Until the exit is formally concluded, the UK is legally bound to accept EU migrants on the same terms as now, and there will be increased migration to the UK over the next 2-2.5 years.
    * Right-wing nationalist groups will become increasingly violent against migrants leading to riots and hate crimes.
    * The Scots, Welsh, Irish, and for good measure, the Cornish nationlists will agitate for their own independence. There is the real prospect of Disunited Kingdom in a possible future.
    * The pound has dropped significantly, and will continue to drop as this plays out
    * The EU will be merciless in negotiating terms of the trade with the UK - the UK are going to come off second best
    * Many companies will relocate to the EU in order to benefit from a larger market, and say FU to what's left of the Disunited Kingdom.
    * The UK economy is going to contract, and unemployment is going to rise. Rinse and repeat.
    * Etc.

But the Brits will be able say, with a stiff upper lip, "but we voted to be masters of our own destiny" and claim moral victory. Whoopee-doo! :/

7. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Is London real estate a better buy now? I hear there is 10% discount due to the recent currency devaluation :)

Any suburb recommendations? :)

8. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

George Soros and Lord Jacob Rothschild writing pieces in the corporate media decrying how important it is for Britain to remain in the EU.

Is the best evidence that they should leave immediately.

I bet we wont see any more referendums for it in the EU in case they go this way as well.

9. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/27/inv...uspended-brexit/index.html?category=investing

Two British banks were briefly suspended from trading in London after heavy losses triggered emergency measures that froze their shares.

Barclays and Royal Bank of Scotland both tripped so-called circuit breakers after crashing more than 8% on Monday. When trading resumed, Barclays (BCS) extended its losses to more than 10% and RBS (RBS) shed 13%.

10. motorbikez

motorbikez Member Silver Stacker

You are right there isn't one because Cameron & The BOE treated the electorate with contempt as they were so sure of winning the vote. Although Cameron is resigning he should have been sacked if that is possible with loss of pension etc for his lack of forethought, the government is paid to govern & plan for eventualities Cameron has done neither. All he will have been thinking about is taking his position on the EU gravy train in Brussels & f--k the electorate.

Re Boris he is not in the government he is a back bench MP but I hope he puts himself forward for PM.

11. motorbikez

motorbikez Member Silver Stacker

I don't read the Daily Mail, I read the Times & don't imply I 'm a racist you know nothing about me. I have no problem about people coming to the UK to work whatever their colour or religion, what I do have a problem with is people coming here to take the p--s out of our generous benefits system.

12. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Joking aside, Brexit won't make any difference.
    The rich will still be rich, the poor will still be poor, and we'll still blame foreigners.
    Ricky Gervais (@rickygervais) June 24, 2016

"I know the young people of Britain have lost hope and feel let down,' he joked. "But relax. The reintroduction of National Service will sort you out. I can't believe it took a referendum for Britain's youth to find out that old people hate them."

13. boyd_05

boyd_05 Member Silver Stacker

EXCLUSIVE: Brexit '2nd Referendum Petition' A 4 Chan Prank: BBC Report It As Real
    exclusive-brexit-2nd-referendum-petition-a-4-chan-prank-bbc-report-it-as-real

Second referendum petition: Inquiry removes at least 77,000 fake signatures, as hackers claim responsibility for 'prank'
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ll-for-second-brexit-vote-gains-more-than-39/

Hah! Liberal Media Gets Punked by 4Chan Petition for Second Brexit Vote was Spammed
    http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...nked-4chan-poll-second-eu-referendum-totally/

14. Killface

Killface Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Shiney I believe you know the answer to your question.

You also know she is one of a very few democratically elected officials in modern history to have been murdered in cold blood over her views on a mainstream political issue.. so I think many people would question the taste and tact of anyone crowing over her posthumous defeat in this referendum.

Believe me, my standards of taste are pretty low, but I draw the line at dancing on the freshly-dug grave of an innocent.

The hashtag Vote For Jo strikes me as crass and opportunistic too.

15. Silver-Collector

Silver-Collector New Member

The danger is that more countries will leave the E.C. , maybe Greece, Spain, France, Denmark or the Eastern countries... but that is good for gold ;-)

16. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

17. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

Europe's bank stocks index fell 7.7 per cent, wiping out more than one-fifth of its value in two days and ending just a handful of points above lows reached at the height of a eurozone debt crisis at the end of 2011.

Ratings agency Standard & Poor's added to the pain, stripping Britain of its last remaining top-notch credit rating.

The UK's rating was slashed by two notches from AAA and Standard & Poor's warned more downgrades could follow.

Mr Osborne said the British economy was strong enough to cope with the volatility caused by the referendum, the biggest blow since World War II to the European goal of forging greater unity.

But his words failed to halt the fall of sterling, which later sank to its lowest level against the US currency for 31 years, continuing the slide that began last week.

Abc news

18. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Remember that the Eastern countries are Orthodox and can align themselves with Russia. Meanwhile the southern countries are the siesta Catholics which are already basket cases so have little to lose if they leave the Union. Finally, the Northern Protestants are the backbone to the Union and other than Germany would be glad to get rid of the others.

19. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That is gold, God I love 4chan. Not quitew as good as pissing for feminism but close.

And for BBC.... well that is a lost cause.

20. GeordieGirl

GeordieGirl Member