Anyone using these credit card readers in their business?

Discussion in 'Currencies' started by Stoic Phoenix, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Looking into https://squareup.com/au/reader for their credit card readers to implement in an upcoming project and wondering if anyone had used/had any relevant information.
    Competitors to this out there?
    Basically any feedback either way as seems a lot less clunky than an eftpos unit.
    Cheers

2. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

3. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I know a few people who use them so I can ask.

For $19 and no contracts, I'd just buy one and try it out with some cards from friends and family (preferable from different issuers/banks). It'll cost $1.90 per 10x $10 tests and you can just give them $10 cash in return.

I've dealt with a lot of equipment that's been absolute crap and a ~$20 investment in "research" would be money well spent IMHO. Fancy POS gear can run into the hundreds or thousands of dollars.

4. Stoic Phoenix

Thanks Big Ad, I would appreciate at your convenience if you could ask them.

The "$20 solution" would only be one part of the POS jigsaw puzzle.
    Using tablet tech vs pc tech is a bigger part and that reader points you down one path as opposed to another.
    Before deciding on which capital asset to invest into I was hoping to get some feedback from someone who was using it as it looks and sounds like a good concept..

5. utopia24

utopia24 New Member

Hi Stoic Phoenix, I'm in the process of implementing both Square and Stripe into by business. Square for the ability to take payment using card and Stripe for online payments (integrates with my online Invoicing software). I think the use of both will complement each other and cover my business needs. Based on comparison 1.9% is not a deal breaker especially knowing that there are no additional monthly fees or costs (other then the $19 to get the reader). I'll keep you updated. I'm most interested in how long it will take for funds to find there way into my bank account once payment has been taken.

6. utopia24

utopia24 New Member

Just the one to get started I'm very small business at the moment. However if the need arises could not see an issue with operating multiple units. I think this depends on your ultimate needs and the complexity of your requirements. Are you also tracking inventory? I have seen these in bars and being use over multiple market sites. Really hoping that the integration pans out nicely and will update you on the time that it takes for funds to clear.

7. samoth25

samoth25 Member Silver Stacker

Thanks Utopia,
    the fee at 1.9% and $19 per reader isnt the concern.
    The length of time to receive funds would be interesting to hear back on too.
    Will you be using multiple units or only have one POS?

Utopia
    We got one a few weeks ago used it twice on sunday morning funds deposited monday 10.30
    with full summary and fees deducted ...very happy

8. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

I've just signed up for myob paydirect ( http://myob.com.au/products/small-business/mobile-solutions/myob-paydirect-1424567012785 ), which is a card reader which works with an app on iOS or android via bluetooth called myob on the go ( http://myob.com.au/products/small-business/Mobile-Solutions/MYOB-On-The-Go-1257833781051 ). Will let you know how it operates.

Reader costs $225 outright, and fees are 1.77% for CC and $0.27c for EFTPOS (all prices exGST). A myob subscription probably helps, adding to the overall cost but I was already using it and the integrated invoicing etc means less paperwork to do so I'm content.

9. mmm....shiney!

Bump for any feedback regarding Square.

10. Stoic Phoenix

So ponied up for a system to trial in a new business....simple and quick transaction speed.
    Options to tap and go, swipe or insert card or even a manual entry of card number available.
    Portable system so you aren't attached to a power point if you so choose.
    Report sent to my email overnight with a breakdown of each payment, time of transaction and work out of tax component.
    Just waiting to see timeframe for funds to enter my bank account (transactions done after regular business hours yesterday).

Thus far Im pretty impressed.

11. Fat Penguin

Fat Penguin Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Gonna put square into my next venture. Lowest start up costs, no contracts and competitive costs per transaction.
    Westpac offered decent cost structure but they want a contract.
    Not sure about the reliability of the hardware, I've gone through many many eftpos units over the years due to various malfunctions, only to be told all the units are reconditioned ones anyway...

12. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

13. Stoic Phoenix

^ Paypal reader also charge a higher rate for swipe fees and even higher again for manual entries of cards, no real surprise there.

14. mmm....shiney!

The new package deal from Square looks to cover all bases ie swipe, chip and contactless cards.

15. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Does the square do EFTPOS?

A friend got one for her stall and it only gave the option for Credit Cards.