No Love for the Norse

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Pandahunter, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Pandahunter

Pandahunter Member

Hey guys with the crazy success and demand of the Perth Mint gods & godesses series, I'm suprised no one has taken a liking to the Norse gods series.

Today was the release of the 2nd coin of the Norse series - Thor and to my suprise there is still plenty in stock at online dealers, even still avail on PM website.

Do you guys reckon the antique coin /"gods" theme has passed its "IN" stage, or is it just that the designs for this series has proven to be too cartoonish hence low appeal.

Link

http://www.perthmint.com.au/catalogue/norse-gods-thor-2016-2oz-silver-high-relief-antique-coin.aspx

Curious as to any opinions/thoughts?

2. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Too late to the party on that one.

3. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

stick with Choice bullion, their series is 100 x's better...maybe 1000. :))

4. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This box is much nicer then choice bullion but coin mmmmm

5. jcanuck

jcanuck Member

I suspect the bigger problem is the multiple mints all selling a Norse gods series within a few months of one another. If I remember correctly there are 3 or 4 different 2 oz antiqued silver Norse gods series and a 3 oz series for sale. There simply aren't enough buyers at $200 to $300 a pop to create strong demand for all these coins and they're risky as a speculative investment.

6. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

The Norse Gods is equally as awful in design as the hideous Gods of Olympus coins. Personally, I wouldn't pay a penny over USD 14 per ounce for that crap.

The Perth Mint should stick to what they do well....Lunars, Koalas, and Kooks.

7. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

We haven't noticed any drop off. Out of our allocation I have only a very small amount left (4 I think). The antiqued coins in general are very popular.

This release (Thor) is the second of three in this series. It's a 2oz and looks great. Don't know of any 3oz series released anywhere in the world.

As for not enough buyers at $200-$300 a pop - this is not directed at "bullion" buyers but rather numismatic collectors. Let me tell you that this is the equivalent of saying there are not enough buyers of beer at $3 a bottle to create strong demand for all these types of beer. Tell that to all the brewers around the world that don't produce VB.

Go to an auction or sit in a coin dealers shop for an afternoon. $200 is not a large amount for a numismatic collectors piece and trust me - the demand is definitely there.

malachii

8. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

Geez, give it a bit of time to sell out at least before passing judgement.
    They'll all find homes, doesn't need to sell out instantly to be a success.

Some may not like the design, but the quality of the product (both coin and packaging) is unmatched by any other mint making similar products.

EDIT: don't waste your time arguing with me unless you own most coins/rounds in this genre.

9. thecoinanalyst

thecoinanalyst Member

Choice Mint series is the one to get, and yes, theirs is 3 oz. each, and when you see the design and art work for the 2nd coin for Valkyrie you will be amazed. I like Perth and a lot of their coins, but they were late to this party, and the artwork on Thor is receiving mixed results. In fact, 24 hrs. after release it is still available, which has not happened before and is a sign of reduced interest. As for $200 plus, in the U.S. you can buy numismatic quality 5 oz coins for $150, so the price is a bit high for 2 oz. The dealers and mints simply overestimated the demand for Nordic coins.

10. malachii

By this definition the Perth Mint Lunar series must be a dismal failure. It takes a couple of weeks for them to declare the 1oz coins sold out each year.

There are many excellent series that have taken more than 24 hours to sell out. Sometimes they even take months to sell out and they are still considered great series and the coins increase in value. Look at the early Map Shaped series, the early Opal series, Lunar Series 2 Gilded etc. All took anything up to a couple of years to reach sell out and still are good investments. To say it's a failure because there is still stock available after 24 hours is ridiculous. And to put my money where my mouth is - anyone who wants to sell me their "failed" early Map, Opal or Lunar Gilded series coins at "failed" series prices (assuming as released from the mint condition) - send me a PM!

malachii

PS And before anyone jumps on the fact I've said "early" in my examples it's because the later parts of the series are still being released and/or are still available from the mint. I was trying to list current examples. There are many earlier examples that many of us would be able to list.

Just because you can't see the value - doesn't mean it's not there. I can't see the value in the Mona Lisa but there are many (even on here) that would call me a Philistine for saying that it's not worth anything more than it's base cost (ie the cost of canvas, frame and the paint - I'd guess less than $100).

11. malachii

Be interested to know what 5oz coins of numismatic (not bullion) quality you can buy for $150 Aus.

Mintage/processing costs alone on a numismatic quality coin would take the cost price to near enough $150 Aus for a 5 oz coin. Include packaging and distribution costs and you are above that. Ask anyone who has done it. I can't release exact costings for the coins that have been produced by members here but I can tell you than no one is producing 5oz silver coins of numismatic quality and wholesaling them for $150 never mind retail. And I am not just talking about the smaller mints.

malachii

PS And yes I have used $Aus because the comparison was made to a coin that retails for $199 Aus - not US. If you want to compare it to US you would need to take it to $US and then subtract GST in which case the coin is much closer to $150 US.

12. chicken12

chicken12 Member

Ok you mention Choice Mint series is the one to get, how long over 24hrs has this one been available, been months and it is still available. :)

13. Pandahunter

Pandahunter Member

Thanks for the responses guys, appreciate many valid points made.

Apologies I should have specified clearly that I was only making a direct comparison to PMs own Greek god and goddesses series. I went to 2 of the major dealer store fronts here today in WA for first hand knowledge and can confirm that this coin is not moving as fast as the Greek series were as - those as we all know were literally sold and flipped for huge margins on the secondary market even during the first week/s of release. However as many of you have pointed out (and I agree) I guess we cant judge the popularity of the series this early on and only time will tell. Without a crystal ball for all we know they could be sleepers that could go to the moon :cool:

14. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

Yep.
    The thing they will always have going for them is they are a Perth Mint product, which is recognised by everyone in the game.
    There are always other options made by smaller players, but over time they run a far higher risk of being forgotten - which is obviously a terrible thing to happen if you are buying as an investment.