Conservative investor - just want to keep home deposit safe

Discussion in 'Gold' started by silverissue, Jun 5, 2016.

1. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

Why even worry about this at all?
    The OP wants to simply keep his money safe and then have it easy to liquidate it all in a few years when he buys a house.
    The answer is obvious. Unallocated (or allocated if you must). Lowest fees possible, zero hassle, 100% safe. Physical and arranging storage and reselling is just a waste of time, extra hassle, and extra cost, for precisely zero benefit.
    Just sign up here and be done with it:
    https://www.perthmint.com/storage/depository-program.html

2. silverissue

silverissue New Member

Hi all

really appreciate your comments! Thanks for talking me through it.... Yeah I hear what you say re doomsayers - BUT have you had a look at this explanation of "Why Gold' from Goldswitzerland: https://goldswitzerland.com/why-gold/

re SHTF, this is just as much about potential devaluation of AUD against other currencies, so am looking to precious metals more as a hedge than anything else

re buying the home, well I'm not about to do it yet, I do believe we're in a bubble, so this is a longer term hold for me.

I think the sum of all the above is that I WONT store it in a vault (it IS too much trouble for my relatively small amount) but perhaps will buy into Pool or Allocated.

thanks again everyone, appreciate your advice

3. silverbait

silverbait Active Member Silver Stacker

True. While you think he is safe there is a chance of PM saying sorry unallocated accounts frozen until further notice? Maybe? But if he is all very optimistic yes rely on digital/paper metal.
    Im a stacker. He can do unallocated yes less fees but safer a bit different story. In case of crisis how many people will buy his unallocated/unavailable metal? I have no faith in a paper promise sorry.

4. Topherclaus

Topherclaus Active Member

I have done exactly what you're talking about. I believe that we're in a bubble and I'm not ready to settle into one place yet anyway, so I've basically just parked my deposit in metals. I have a safe in a location away from my home, as a few people know I have metals and I got weary of that so moved them. I know that metals can fall, but they can also rise, and I don't see the former going too far from where we are at currently.

I do buy in a little to SHTF scenarios, but mostly just a devaluation of AUD. I do have a store of food and all of that stuff, but that's mostly because I see what happens with storms and the like and I would just rather be prepared. I'd rather own my metals than have a piece of paper which says I do. I'd never go unallocated, that's for sure.

5. silverbait

silverbait Active Member Silver Stacker

I own metals in a non bank vault.
    Nothing is 100% safe. What if next week they are all gone away with A4 paper saying "We thank you all our customers for their business and we will be spending your hard earned metals in a remote island" :)

6. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

"Goldswitzerland
    The safest way to buy and own Gold & Silver"

They have a vested interest in pointing you toward gold. I have a broker friend who would point you to high yielding stocks. That's what is so hard about trying to find your way in the current world state of affairs.

A few here would disagree, but have a listen to Jim Rickards on YouTube and podcasts on his JimRickardsProject website, concerning the shift of fiat to zero and the implications for we commoners.

To paraphrase an old saying. "If I owe the bank a million for a house, I have a problem. If 5 million people like me owe the bank a trillion for their houses, the bank has a problem."

Be extremely critical of doomsayers and the blogs 'o' fear (!). Almost as critical as you are of the Main Stream Media.

7. Topherclaus

I plan to get into debt for a house, I don't earn enough to even get a modest place without doing that. But the Australian housing market has to have a decent stumble in the next few years, and when they stumble they fall for a while and the investors who managed to dump their houses while they could will be looking for a safe investment to sink the money into. I'm thinking that a lot of them will go for PMs, which should hopefully create a premium for physical, if not a decent little rise in the value of PMs. That's when i plan to sell off my stack and buy property. The risk being that banks may not want to give away any money if things get too bad.

Well, there are probably a lot of risks in this plan, but I'd say it's a reasonable gamble given how shit term deposits are at the moment - there's no real benefit in one.

8. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This most certainly will not happen. Go speak to a few property investors first ;)

9. Topherclaus

You're right, most would default before they'd dump and move into metals. They're our nemesis after all. But enough would move if they thought they couldn't service their debts, surely.

10. silverissue

silverissue New Member

hmmmm... hearing that property investors are your nemesis makes me like you guys more :rolleyes

11. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Nope.

12. Topherclaus

Well all the property investors I know think that I'm crazy for putting money into PMs and apparently believe the only way to invest in this world is to buy as many houses as possible.

13. silverissue

silverissue New Member

OK I'm going to really reveal my newcomer status here. What's a PM? Would that be Perth Mint?

14. JulieW

PM = Precious Metal

and also Perth Mint depending on context.

15. JulieW

You should get out more often.

16. silverissue

silverissue New Member

d'OH! of course it's precious metal. Thanks !

17. Killface

Killface Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I assume you mean 'no, they wouldn't buy PMs if the property market fell because they have no money, just a bunch of houses they don't own'?

;)

18. windmill2

windmill2 Member Silver Stacker

Don't put all your eggs in one basket, it's your money Ralph.

19. windmill2

windmill2 Member Silver Stacker

Don't put all your eggs in one basket, it's your money Ralph.

20. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

They are right if you pick the right properties in the right area, ride the right right boom at the right time, and do so while the stock market tanks.
    Of course, if you invested instead in lithium stocks 9 months ago you would have made more money in the last 9 months than a lifetime of investing in property.