The truth and disappointment about Hogwarts and the like

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by panta, May 23, 2016.

1. panta

panta New Member

The glass in my Hogwarts doesn't look like as advertised. Only less than half of it is pink, more than the half is white and grey. I understand that these stones are natural and every stone looks different but I expected to get one which resembles the one shown in the adverts.
    One doesn't always get what one pays for. The adverts and images are misleading.
    What are your experiences and how do you solve this problem?
    We have the same situation with Tiffany Renaissance, many of these glasses are not at all blue but boringly white.

2. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Welcome panta... Have you got any pics of your disappointments?

3. panta

panta New Member

Yes I have. If only I knew how to upload or link. But there are good instructions on this site, right? Later I will have time to look into this matter.
    Thanks for asking.

4. panta

panta New Member

Here are images of my Hogwarts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

Have to assume they thought it added more interest because it can't be a cost cutting exercise - pink agate is cheap as chips.

Even though it does form in thin bands generally, the width of the window isn't wide enough to cause supply issues if they did indeed prefer a solid pink window.
    I'm with you though, I'd be disappointed.

6. picturefun

picturefun Member

If I were you, I would return to the seller for full refund, and telling him the item is not as described. I bought one, looks great.

That said, some of these stones are very ugly and disappointing. I bought a Niue 2015 2$ EGYPT Imperial Art Citrine Crystal, looks ugly too. Although not bad enough worth the trouble to return. just the stone is very light yellow, with very uneven color, and looks like badly cracked piece.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Niue-2015-2...l-2-Oz-Silver-Coin-only-500-pcs-/301966125290

7. panta

panta New Member

I wanted to return it but the seller refused to pay the return postage which would have 30 US $ from Europe to the US.
    But in the end I managed to get a refund of 20 US $ and I think I will keep it now as selling it and buying a nicer one is too troublesome.
    But in the future I will ask for an image of the actual coin when I buy such coins again, IF I buy such coins again.
    The value loss is considerably for some of such series.

8. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Where/who did you buy it from?

9. panta

panta New Member

First Coin Company
    And I won't buy anymore from them.

10. panta

panta New Member

I think they sell the nice coins on ebay where they get feedback and the not so nice coins through their website.

11. picturefun

picturefun Member

Not sure why do you buy from there in the first place. the price is way TOO high. selling price for many Auctions on Ebay these couple of weeks are around US$150-160, some even lower. So you should go get a good one at much lower price by bidding :D

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Coins-Paper...lete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

12. Icarus

Icarus Member

I would not be so fast to throw First Coin under the bus. They're a reputable shop in my opinion. And I'm sure if you ask for a replacement without bad mouthing them they would oblige. Just a suggestion.

13. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Even if it is replaced, it's still a Hogwarts coin. This isn't the fault of the seller.

A signed copy of Harry Potter would be a better investment.

14. panta

panta New Member

But First Coin Company delivered a coin which looked totally different than on their website images and they refused to pay the return postage.

15. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

From my experience first coin company is a decent seller and not trying to pull tricks. However they sell what they get in stock and I would be rather disappointed with that coin.I have received some nice coins from them however the value of all the coins I have bought have gone down. I would use Ebay. Although there are many fakes with premium coins like this it would be very obvious. I have sold coins I bought for $300 from Firstcoincompany a year later for $180 on ebay. Its just a cheaper market there is the coins are not extremely popular. Also most sellers post photos of the actual coin. Got my Taj Mahal coin from much cheaper because they stated the wrong year.

16. picturefun

picturefun Member

my personal experience, 99% of dealers in 5 Continents I have dealt with are better than that one.:D

17. picturefun

picturefun Member

" Also most sellers post photos of the actual coin. "

Really? From what I have seen, Vast Majority of sellers, big or small, use the stock photos from the Mints, as simple as that. Yes, including myself. There is NOTHING wrong with that, since vast majority of numismatic coins are in Mint condition, so NO need to customize the photo.

But if there is something wrong with the coin, I will definitely shot the picture myself, and declare it in the listing. If I were selling that Hogwarts coin, I would definitely NOT use the stock photo, but shot one myself.

But then again, I would return it if I ever get any expensive coin in that kind of condition :D

18. picturefun

picturefun Member

19. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

What's a hogwort?

20. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think it's a pimple on on pig :eek:
    :p
    No idea