Stolen Coins & Heartbroken Crying for community help

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Luker, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Luker

Luker Member

Re-Posted from Modern Coin Forum (Member Edward Wang ):)

"I am totally saddened and sorry to post this thread here. Apologize for posting it but need all of the coin collection community's help to watch out and identify the thief. And also warn as many people as I can not to buy the stolen coins.

My house was broken into and all of my coin collections, gold and silver and US Bank notes were stolen. I'll try to post some of the items with the serial numbers that may help to identify the items and if anyone sees these items please either contact me directly or contact the police department with the seller's information.

Zodiac Skull coins Silver one ounce. Gemini #072, 093, 291. Cancer #238, 263, 274. Perth Mint Aphorodite #0001, 0986, 1061.

Notice the Perth Mint Aphorodite #0001

Perth Mint Hades 2oz COA #1040

2015 Libertad 7-piece Silver set, COA #00012, #00020 2014 Libertad 7-piece Silver set, COA #085.

2014 Libertad 5-piece Silver set, COA, #019

New Zealand Mint, Maco Polo, #0140, #0148 2013 Perth Mint Lunar II Snake Proof 1oz, COA # 0689 2015 Perth Mint Lunar II Sheep Proof 1oz, COA #1189

2015 Niue PAMP 5oz Goat Silver Proof, Edge numbered, COA #357

And many many more. My laptop also got stole, thus the pictures were lost as well. But here in MCM Forum you can still see many of my previous postings and some of them having the COA numbers.

Please help to spread the word and help me to track down the thief and make the coin collecting more enjoyable. Please if you come cross other areas or sites that sells coins and see any of the above ones please either contact me or notify the local authorities and refer them to me.

Thanks so much for any of your help.

PS. Feel free to browse my previous postings and pay attention to those with COA. Thanks."

https://www.moderncoinmart.com/foru...s-heartbroken-crying-for-community-help.5370/

Please p.m. me with any info , and I will then forward that to Ed via a private message (for those Silver Stackers members who are not members of Modern Coin Forum) .
    Much Appreciated Luker

2. danman49

danman49 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sorry for your loss but where did this happen?

3. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Good of you to help spread the word Luker. Lucky he has a record of so many COA's stored separately than his laptop, one reason I use Evernote for such things.

Keep us updated.

4. Luker

Luker Member

ADDENDUM:

"All of the below items and many many more were stolen from my (Ed's) house around April 18th, 19th, in San Francisco Peninsular area of California.

Add on new list of those with COA:
    Great Britain Royal Mint:

2015 Lunar Goat 5oz Silver Proof Gold plated COA0050.
    2013 Britannia 5-pc Silver Proof set, First Strike. no COA number.
    2013 Britannia 5-pc Silver OGP Proof set Combo, COA 0346. pluse 1/20 NGC gold PF70 ULTRA CAMEO 3795751-170
    2015 Britannia 6-pc Silver Proof set, COA 1453
    2015 Britannia 1oz Silver Proof, COA 1195
    2014 Britannia 1oz Silver Proof, COA 2437
    2014 Britannia 1/20 oz Gold Proof, COA 0136
    2015 Britannia 5oz Silver Proof, COA 530
    2014 Britannia 5oz Silver Proof, COA 578
    2015 Sovereign 4th effigy potrait, COA 3743
    2015 Sovereign 5th effigy potrait, COA XX23
    2014 Portrait of Britain 4-pc Silver Proof set, COA 0644
    2015 Winston Churchill Silver Piedfort and standard, COA N/A
    2014 Lunar Horse and Britannia Mule error, 2 horse, 1 britannia. in a 6-pc box, 3 regular BU.

2015 Zodiac Aquarius COA 247 edge

NZ MINT:

2015 Grrek Mythology, Cerberus, COA. 0169
    2014 Endangered Spicies, Black Rhinoceros, COA 0221

Nine:

2016 Niue PAMP 5oz Monkey COA 371 edged

5. motorbikez

motorbikez Member Silver Stacker

It isn't Luker who had been broken into but Ed Wang.

6. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Who broke into what & how ?????

Edit,

Just found the link....

7. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

This is very sad news. I hope the scumbag thieves are caught and prosecuted to the maximum extent of the law.

8. Luker

Luker Member

Per a Silverbugs (Reddit) forum member:

This is also a good place to have the Police report.:

http://www.numismaticcrimes.org/

They will send out a report to dealers and registered members to keep an eye out for the items taken...

9. picturefun

picturefun Member

Figured must be from California. Thieves and robbers have been putting more attention on robbing Chinese immigrant families, since they usually have more cash and collectables at home.

So people in those areas should buy more safes, big ones, not small ones can be easily carried away, those heavy ones that cannot be easily moved, and put all their numismatic coins in there. or just pay some money, rent more safes from the local banks

10. picturefun

picturefun Member

another problem is Ebay never asks sellers to put CoA numbers (wherever applicable) in their listing. So if the buyer bought and paid, and got these stolen goods, I am not sure all the buyers would voluntarily report it. Although if they report, they still should be able to get their money back from Paypal, since these are stolen properties.

11. SilverFox

SilverFox New Member

Make sure you have homeowner's/renters insurance to cover your belongings. Its not very costly and covers everything in your house. Sick to hear stories such as the one above.

12. Flyinfree

Flyinfree Well-Known Member

Well, it's a little hard to prove the value unless you have recorded everything and took photo for each item. I am lazy so I got two guard dogs!!!!!:D

13. tozak

tozak Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Big safes usually just advertise the fact there are big valuables hidden inside, many eye's see these getting delivered and installed.

Some other things other than a safe you may want to think about;

- where would a burglar instinctively look? (stats say the master bedroom)
    - where would a burglar instinctively not look? (somewhere awkward to access and/or very dirty, somewhere they would not expect anything of value to be)
    - having a dog will decrease your chances of being targeted
    - having security cameras will decrease your chances of being targeted
    - having an alarm and/or security monitoring will decrease your chances of being targeted
    - living right near public transport stations or next door to parks or other vacant land which creates an obstruction of the view of your fence line will increase your chances of being targeted
    - knowing your neighbors is one of the best precautionary measures but unfortunately a lot of people only meet them after they have been burgled
    - have someone you know check on the place if you go away, especially over long weekends or other high targeted times

Personally I'm a fan of keeping the bulk of it in a vault, maybe consider only keeping a few of your favorites at home

14. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

Absolutely wrong. You will have to pay a separate rider for your PMs. It is not cheap by any means, based on the value of your collection.

15. SilverFox

SilverFox New Member

I asked my insurance company and had a two friends just go through it, a lot of it is the honest system (and my insurance company literally told me the same thing). Now if you have a large amount you may want to keep some kind of record, pics, receipts etc.

16. mmissinglink

I believe most insurance companies will want you to get an appraisal for the value of your collection before they insure it. It would make no sense for an insurance company to do it any other way for this type of asset.

17. SilverFox

SilverFox New Member

My friends did not have precious metals but rather jewelry and apparently everything was covered. Again I asked and they told me it was basically on a honor type of system, literally verbatim. I myself have receipts for everything I have. I think will call and ask again just to hear it again from someone else.

18. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Please note, standard home insurance will have limits like $10 to 25,000 for jewellery, $5,000 cash and $2,000 camera etc etc.

Within those limits, you are correct it is very much a honour system, however try claiming above those limits, you could be very very disappointed.
    Note this is very important please read your PDS or ask your insurer, because potentially when you try claiming $100,000 for PM on a standard home insurance, your insurer might potentially consider it "dishonesty" because your not stating increased risk profile.

Doubly so if it looks like a target PM heist

19. mmissinglink

Yes, this makes sense to me. Most people do own jewelry and so it's not extraordinary for a standard policy to cover for a certain value of jewelry. But a coin collection / stack is uncommon and therefore it makes sense that if you have a significant ($10-15,000 or more?) value in coins / PM's that you may have to get a rider onto your standard policy.

20. chowdersilver

chowdersilver New Member

Sad, and this is why I use a safety deposit box, and now just buy miner stocks. I get the notion that if you don't hold it, you don't own it. However, I thing the risk to hold it is actually higher.