Fake silver coin being sold on eBay?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by phoenixeagle, Apr 4, 2016.

1. phoenixeagle

phoenixeagle Member

Someone is selling some kooks and koalas on eBay. Pictured is a 2014 1 oz Koala and the picture is obviously of a fake. I let the buyer know that his picture is not of a genuine PM coin. He denied this and threatened legal action.... What do you guys think?

https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/301913375478

2. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

:lol:
    Legal action :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Lets see ,should I bid on it or
    Send him a message telling him it's a fake :eek:
    I think I'll bid on it :p

3. spannermonkey

:lol:
    SOLD :p

4. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

Please post what he said about the legal action lol

5. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

The listing reads like a crock of shit....that should be the first red flag.

6. MonkeyMagic

MonkeyMagic New Member

It sold for $67.25 inc postage what the hell, why would you bother even if it wasn't fake

7. BenKenobi

BenKenobi Well-Known Member

Compared to some fakes its actually not bad, too grainy on the texture, queens head is reasonably finished but still not correct eg hair and crown as well, certainly not detailed enough to pass, the font is well shaped compared to some I have seen where the long sides of the letters is warped, but looking at the metal in the reflection surrounding the font it is warped and not a flat surface as it should be.
    Well what a story, seriously this guy should be working for the guys in Nigeria. A scholarship fund, really. There's a sucker born every minute how's the description: Uncirculated! Never removed from capsule! These beautiful coins have been donated, provided that the TOTAL proceeds are paid to the COMPLETELY voluntary Endowment/Scholarship Fund account. If three or more, FREE postage! We exist to help people! WHY? India plans on consuming millions of ounces of silver to build massive solar farms, so less silver available for others because immense demand, and therefore incredible price increases! U.S. mint, - one million oz. of silver eagles weekly! Mines can't meet demand and are unprofitable at today's ridiculously low prices! Gurus estimate $500 per oz. by 2020! = 32.49% p.a!! - AND,- $5000+ for EACH one oz. coin by 2030!!! WOW! So $60 is dirt cheap!!! Don't miss the boat!!! Buy now, and hold on for the ride of your life. Rake them in while you can because it will soon become absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to get them!!!!!!

Well I say, if all you peeps want your silver cheap before it gets out of control, I sincerely will sell you my entire stock of bullion and numismatics in 2020 for the bargain price of only $400poz, now that's huge savings, be assured your money will be going to the save the Benjamin fund and is much needed for him to prosper into his early retirement. Lock your investment in NOW before its too late, don't forget that's $400poz in AU dollars, you will never see prices like this again, BUT WAIT if you secure your order now not only will you receive your bargain priced bullion, you will receive a free set of steak knives AND a personal blender, WHY WAIT!!??

terms and conditions apply, while stocks last, no rainchecks, credit cards plus 150%.

8. spannermonkey

:p
    I bought everything he had :lol:
    NO I'm not going to pay :p

9. phoenixeagle

phoenixeagle Member

This was his response when I told him I'd reported the item...

"We have been handling silver for far more than four decades, - and we know genuine silver!

They were originally purchased through a long standing very reputable dealer!

We wonder about your totally illadvised and unjustified reasons for making your unfounded,evil,ridiculous accusations which are very close to being libelous so we recommend caution.

To guard our (and others) highly regarded reputation, we require you to unreservedly retract your jeopardizing and integrity damaging statement within seven days (11 April 2016) to avoid a party writ against you claiming damages; and publicizing your name and address and business, advising The Australian Coin Review, The Stamp & Coin Dealers' Association of Australia, Ebay, PayPal and the many dealers and our associates with whom we transact business!

Dr. Prof. Edward Charles.
    Director of the completely voluntary Gold Coast Festival Chorale Endowment/Scholarship Fund"

10. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I would point out that that biggest issue is where does it have the dollar amount on it?

It may be silver ( though I doubt it ) it is however a knock off and not legal tender ( no value written on the coin ) which is not a PM coin.

Spanner send him a message telling him they are fakes and point this out, though I suspect he knows with "four decades" of experience selling silver.

11. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

lol just read the text of the listing

I would suggest to him holding onto the coins if he thinks they are going to make that much of a return.

even @ $60 per coin he could sell a genuine one and still make decent money. LOL

12. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's a counterfeit. The Feds should be informed.

13. spannermonkey

His doing alright for a dead guy :eek:
    Apart from the gumtree add :/
    https://www.google.com.au/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=v8UzVOmKOO_C8gfOsIHACQ#q=Dr.+Prof.+Edward+Charles

14. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Did you actually bid on it?
    :p

15. spannermonkey

:D
    Yeah why not
    Fleebay is so fucked these days I stopped selling last year
    And only run an account to watch items ,so why not
    He can't really do anything :eek: I even changed my address in the account :p
    Something tells me he might be a member here :eek:

16. BenKenobi

BenKenobi Well-Known Member

I must admit I have also deliberately bought counterfeit or fake items off the bay. The most expensive of which were large sapphires and rubies, I am a trained gemologist so I knew what I was doing, some people don't so my actions were of principle for others buying into scams. Needless to say I was fully refunded, the site and seller were closed down, the end result was exactly of which was intended. Negative feedback and reporting of certain sellers can go along way. I don't bother anymore as there is always more scum to replace them, eBay do not screen sellers or items, the EU ebay is a different matter in which there are laws that govern selling of these items. At the end of the day it's caveat emptor when buying online from anywhere, for every single honest individual there are a dozen looking to scam from selling dodgy or fakes. It's all in the description of the item, it's ok to sell fakes as long as you say so, but that is also governed by exactly what you are selling as well. This in large was evidenced in the late 90's by Eastern European and Chinese junk, it really comes back to ebay allowing it to happen, but then there's always gumtree and the like in which its a free for all on these sites. There's no shortage of people who just don't give a fig who will do anything by any means to take your dollars and run. This guy selling this coin really is a total wanker, I love his threat of legal action to try to scare the consumer into accepting a counterfeit item, if this idiot has been dealing coins for decades, rest assured he has done it by being dishonest in his business dealings. He can't help being a Pratt, it's part of his business plan and apparently his success story.

17. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

the soul would knock on the door, hello Neo

here to collect your eBay bids :lol: please pay with the hell money :p

so you better prepared some.

18. phoenixeagle

phoenixeagle Member

He's back with the same coin and description - but now has removed the photo of the obverse that clearly shows a fake, but the reverse still looks suspect. So not sure what to make of it.

https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/301940427843

19. spannermonkey

:eek:
    Just bought it as well :lol:
    I even left him a neg on the first round of coins I bought :p
    He keeps sending me messages once a week asking when I'm going to pay :rolleyes:
    I'm going to leave him a few more negs right now :D

20. spannermonkey

Just bought ALL the same coins again
    AND
    Left him a few more negs:D
    Hopefully I've smashed his FB so hard he can't keep selling
    I wander what his next message is going to be :p