SMSF..How is your super going?

Discussion in 'Superannuation' started by errol43, Apr 21, 2016.

1. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

With interest paid at banks so low...Bonds and shares so volatile...Where do you invest your $$$$. If you average 4% gain each year (without taking into account inflation), it will take 16years to double your money at compound interest rates.

IMO it still better to determine where your super is invested than to have it in a industry fund looked over by a so called expert.

How can workers getting $50k pa, having $4.5k paid into their super minus administration charges expect to retire at 70 years of age when their investment are all high risk..IE Share market collapse, bank bail ins.. The super funds suffered a massive hit in 2008.

Will be interested to hear from SS members who have super.

Regard Errol43

2. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

By actively looking to take control and responsibility for their future and setting up an SMSF. Buy property, PM's and index funds/ETF's. Plenty of options for diversity. But alas, most put such actions into the 'too hard' or excuses basket and rather be wholeheartedly hands off until they realize it's too late.

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My SMSF is doing ok. I have an industry fund I can't get out of but I have a SMSF where all the real action is.

Only time will tell how foolish I have been but I loaded up on Precious metals, watched the value plummet and then more recently recover (In AU$). I have been using that as a GSR swapping stockpile, mostly all silver now.

I borrowed to buy a property which is pretty much positively geared and will be owned outright in eight years.

All in all it isn't too bad and the industry super is not one of the worst performers so I will leave the 'experts' to gamble on the stock exchange. Between, houses, shares and precious metals I think I have most bases covered.

I went with esuperfund, my financial advisor wanted to charge $4k to set one up but waived the fee when I had already got the free one. It is very easy once you get the hang of the lingo, that's what Google is for.

4. fosinator

fosinator Member

Im with Hesta, changed mine to 100% cash at the bank 18 months ago.Not growing at a great rate but im not going to lose anything either if/when another crash happens.I wish there was $4.5K going into it each year though lol

5. Kooka

Kooka New Member

My SMSF is going great guns. I'm mostly in the ASX top 50 companies that pay a great dividend compared to bank interest rates.
    Yes I will concede the with shares their capital value does go up and down BUT every time there has been a big market downturn it has come back up again and goes higher.

During the GFC my portfolio went down heaps and at the time it hurt but it has come back up and exceeded the previous values.
    Also while I sat on these shares and watched their values go down the companies still paid their dividends. A little bit less than usual but the money was still there and that's what I was looking for.

Picking the companies to invest in is the key. If you are young and willing to take a risk then maybe some of the smaller miners. Some actually have big runs.
    If you want to be conservative then stick with the banks or telcos.

Bank interest rates are very low and will stay that way for a couple of years at least but the banks themselves issue bonds that usually have very little capital movement but pay a quarterly interest rate of up to 7% fully franked.