2016 ASE

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by leo25, Mar 29, 2016.

1. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

2007 was the last year of the upper-case style "U" in United States since then its been a lower case style "u"

To me its like levi jeans, the originals made in USA now known as big "E" LEVIS changed to small "e" Levis and steadily went to a fully crap product on the back of a tried and tested product made in Mexico India China and anywhere else other than USA for costs.

LEVIS were made with a selvedge, each, leg or major join was joined by the edge of the denim roll to prevent fraying to make them strong and long lasting but levis are made from longer rolls of crap denim joined anywhere the cut happens and from different quality denims.

2008 onward ase,s small u or levis small e = manufacturing costs cutting over quality at our expense.

Big E LEVIS or big U ASE,s. :)

2. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for the info fishtaco, I must admit my ASE history knowledge is very limited, but i do find it all very interesting. I'm really tempted to buy a pre 2008 coin now, might see if a coin store has one today.

3. fishtaco

I think because there is such a lack of interest in ase,s in Australia other than a bulk buy silver coin many totally missed the design change even many Americans! They now fob off this change in desighn as so minor it isn't a change at all,this I believe is because they simply did not notice the change! :p

Is their a difference other than design change I dont know but my Levis Ase story is a good one to judge yourself. :)

4. leo25

After fishtaco recommendation i picked up a 1995 coin. For people not familiar i took some photos to show a comparison.

All the text look a lot sharper on the older coin (could just be a bad batch with my 2016 coin as my 2014 coin is sharp) and the new coins look flatter where it's pressed in.
    Sorry for the bad lighting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. fishtaco

Nice comparison pics,I much prefer the pre 2008,s notice that wavy thing between the Silver - One, that also changed in 2008 along with the U.

The question is will the 2016 look as good as the 1995 in 20 years from now. :)

6. leo25

yea i can see a lot of subtle changes all over the coin. A few others i noticed is the L it's longer in the old coin and the bottom right sun flare is thinner.

Ill report back in 20 years time :cool:

7. leo25

Going back to the way the coins sound, i tested the 1995 coin and that sounds more like the 2016 coin with the ring dampening off fast.

So it does look like it all comes down to were they get the blanks from. My guess is the way the coin is heated and cool and thus giving the coin a slightly different structure?

So that nice long ring isn't a characteristic of ASE's after all, but rather the characteristic of some coins. This makes buying them more exciting now :D fingers cross you get the nice sounding coins. The good ones sound fantastic!

8. fishtaco

Ring or no ring ASE,s will always have a purchaser who doesn't necessarily collect silver coins like the rest of us fools. :).

Great thread by the way.

9. MasterID

MasterID Member

Yes, we are willing to pay almost 36% above spot for some reverse proof or privy bullion and several times above spot for some others.

10. fishtaco

I think many modern silver coin collectors regard ASE collecting " year by year" a fools game but its nice to actually own a full bullion collection of ASE,s without the $$ price tag on other silver coins you can encounter especially when chasing certain years. I believe that ASE by year is a great starting point for new collectors like myself given (in my opinion) a huge % of modern silver coins "+ secondary + flipper premium" value is mostly in the collectors minds! this I feel given the shear amount of designs being churned & pumped out by major mints and all marketed directly at the "true collector." :)

11. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

With the number of blanks the mint would need, potentially could be variances within a single year as well I'd imagine.

No idea how big those blank makers are, but losing a customer like American mint would be devastating.