These Peace Dollars - fake?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by rbaggio, Mar 8, 2011.

1. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

Obviously looks too good to be true.

My initial thoughts: stay away.

The more adventurous among us may want to pay with paypal and throw the dice ...

EDIT: Whoops, GP this probably belongs in the silver coins section.

2. Captain Kookaburra

Captain Kookaburra Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yeah.

They say they have 10 groups of 100 coins.

They only allow 500g satchel for delivery when each group would weigh nearly 3 Kilos.

No eBay transactions since 2008 ....

Beware...

3. Icehole

Icehole Member

These were listed last week by another seller and I contacted him. this was his reply

" it's a false listing. My account got hacked. Am in talks with ebay now to get this listing pulled down"

4. Captain Kookaburra

Captain Kookaburra Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Definitely would only do this one via PayPal..... It is good for one thing!

5. Drag0nHart

Drag0nHart New Member

As far as I am now concerned, THESE AUCTIONS ARE ALL FAKES!!...Stay away...they have been faked by the tens of thousands out of Asia, likely in the hundreds of thousands...I suspect in some cases even the seller is unaware...you simply can not hold them in your hand to test. I would stay with Canadian or Australian silver coinage. I doubt these are being faked...they also tend to have little wear as compared to circulated American coinage.

6. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

100 Peace dollars have a spot value of $2765 - there's no way this isn't a scam at $299.

I doubt the dollars are even available - you won't even get fakes in the mail, just a $299 con.

7. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

someone bought some

8. samboyellowsub

samboyellowsub Member

These don't look fake. They look like common date circulated peace dollars. not something asians would have time or incentive to fake. what they're faking are the Carson City mint Morgans, all of which are key dates for collectors, a few other date/mints of Morgans. The only peace dollars they might fake are mint state 1921 peaces (of any mint) a MS 1928 or 1935 S. If you want to be sure, just ask him what most of the dates are. If he says 1922 or 1923 then I would be 99.9% certain they are real - no one is going to fake those when they could spend just as much effort making a 1892 S or 1893 S or 1890 CC.

A lot of sellers start their bidding low knowing that the market will dictate a pretty predictable closing price.

9. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

These ones are being auctioned with a Buy It Now of $299 - which is a big difference to a low starting bid!

[​IMG]

10. shortstack

shortstack New Member

Coming in to ask/warn about these but looks like you guys are already onto them. This person has also never sold anything before by the looks and I figured it was a hacked account. Also, they want instant paypal only so they can get the money and run.

If it's too good to be true, it usually is.. pity :)

11. samboyellowsub

samboyellowsub Member

oh damn! i didn't see that. thats insane. I wonder if he meant for the decimal to be one place to the right?

12. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

My first thought is, what is more likely to be right?
    * Wrong decimal place
    * Scam

13. mmm....shiney!

Sent a question off to the seller this morning "Let me get this right, each coin is $2.99?" Haven't heard back from "her", it may take up to 2 days before I get a response according to eBay, I'm with GP, coins probably don't even exist. That's why they do look real. Unfortunately 11 lots have been sold.

Interestingly, I did a quick google search in images for "100 peace dollars" and came up with the exact image used on ebay.com.au but listed by another seller in the states on ebay.com, even uses the same font.

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-PEACE-SILVER-DOLLARS-FIVE-ROLLS-90-SILVER-/360338162056#ht_958wt_907

"princessmoleface" says the coins you see in the image are the ones you receive. Now either "she" is telling fibs, or, "she's" got an exact duplicate, or "she's" selling coins "she" bought for over $3400 from the seller in the states, or someone is faking circulated peace dollars that to the naked eye look damn real. Flicked an email of to the seller in the states just letting "her" know, here it is:

"re: http://cgi.ebay.com/100-PEACE-SILVER-DOLLARS-FIVE-ROLLS-90-SILVER-/360338162056#ht_958wt_907

Did you know someone in australia is selling exactly the same thing using the same image as your listing?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...1&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:AU:1123#ht_615wt_1141

I smell fish"

Not that it will make a difference as scams can cross international borders if you know what I mean. Funny, the "chick" in the States selling the peace dollars is actually a bloke!!!! Unless chicks go by the name of "don". Maybe if you buy from someone who has a female sounding username it gives you the impression you're not going to get ripped off.

Reminds me I must watch "The Crying Game" again.

14. samboyellowsub

samboyellowsub Member

Duh! ... Winning!

15. mmm....shiney!

Item no longer for sale or been removed.