Selling before buying in the dips

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Bulawan pilak, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Bulawan pilak

Bulawan pilak New Member

I was just wondering if there is anyone who has attempted to sell at these new highs (talking about physical PM's only) and then waiting to buy again at the dips in the hope of making a bit of money???

Just a thought.....wondering if anyone has actually tried it or if the stress is too great.....:)

2. Guest

Guest Guest

[​IMG]

I don't see too many 'dip' opportunities of late...

I guess if you were a short term trader, the physical market wouldn't be for the faint of heart.

3. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

but its different here in Australia ;)

4. Loxmyf

Loxmyf Member

mpowerin is right. We'll need to see the chart in AUD before we believe it...

...Has anyone seen that tongue-in-cheek emote? I could use it about now :)

5. Ouch

Ouch Active Member

Bit confused by the question. If there was no-one selling right now, you wouldn't be seeing those for sale threads would you?

For me personally, physical PMs are not for profit; short or long-term. I might even have to be holding them at a loss but that's the price I'm willing to pay to have my assets out of the current banking system.

6. intelligencer

intelligencer Active Member

I never sell unless the items are totally surplus. That usually means things I've got in package deals. Collectibles that I have enough of etc. Never straight silver or gold bullion.

I don't understand those who do :)

7. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

hmmm. I have to agree. The only other asset I'd hold is a house or land... BUT I dont have enough gold or silver to buy them yet and still have a heap of PMs to spare.

Whenever in doubt - ALWAYS revert back to what we know and what is certain:
    Gold silver platinum palladium have intrinsic value
    Monopoly money does not
    Fiat currencies all collapse over time
    Gold and Silver have stood the test of time

In the absolute worst case scenario, all we need for these metals to do is keep above inflationary levels (and above house price rises to justify my money in pms).

I actually said to a friend today (who spent $7000 on a fiesta.. instead of keeping his rodeo and spending $7k on silver...) that if anyone had a lazy 5 grand sitting in an account not doing anything, they needed their head banged up against a wall.. then went on a rant about the government imposing the silent tax on inflation on us so unless you are on a massive rate of return, its not worth it in there-- not to mention the possibility of it turning to dust if someone hits the key pad incorrectly...

8. pmstacker

pmstacker New Member

No problems doing that but not with physical. If your gutsy you short the paper market and go long on the physical market. Maybe for every 1000 bucks you put for silver investment, 300 of that goes into the SLV. Then when it gets to an all time high, Sell, then buy more physical on the dip. Just keep doing it, (If you have the guts) ;)

Why physical, its to much of a hassle and more of a long term investment, also unless you bought at 15-20 its not worth the hassle AND if you did sell it would be a one time thing, dont expect to sell at 36 and buy back at 20, specially in this market

9. Rothbard

Rothbard New Member

If you want to trade the dips for fiat then you are better using the EFT: SLV so that you can buy/sell immediately when you want rather than waiting for a buyer/delivery.

If you motivation is fiat profit in the current market this is how I would do it.

10. digger

digger New Member

maybe if i had invested money in a silver ETF i'd sell about now and wait to buy back in on the dips but find it hard to part with physical when the fundamentals haven't changed.

not sure why you would play that type of game with physical, i guess if you did you might end up with more ounces in the long run but you are also playing with risk.