PRICE OF NEW PERTH MINT - ODIN SILVER COIN

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Magician1, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

As justsilver said, brand power at work partly but they have that reputation for a reason. You cannot question the quality of the product, be it the coin or the packaging.
    I do think they have damaged the secondary market by creating so many in a short space of time however. I don't think they're in the business of caring about that though, so if it sells out initially that is all that matters to them.

I think this round of 3 coins is going to be much harder to flip as people grow tired of them, seems like the right time to bow out.

2. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I know we are entitled to our opinion, and that's all it is, our opinion, but the complete packaging of the Odin from Choice is Stellar. Maybe the Perth Odin will be nice too, but I won't know, as I didn't buy any.

3. Aureus

build quality shouldn't be an opinion, it's either good or it isn't.

As far as the Olympus series are concerned, the timber cases have been properly good quality - hopefully the trend continues but I won't know either as i'm passing on them as well.
    I am not sure where the PM sources their timber cases, but the craftsmanship should be commended - always been top notch which I imagine isn't easy when you need to spam them out in great numbers.

4. jcanuck

jcanuck Member

Definitely selling slower than the Olympus series. Coins are still available at the mint several hours after sales opened...
    Also, looks like you can still buy the 2 oz kangaroo a month after they were released...

5. Aureus

Yep, was always going to lose it's lustre.
    Problem is, it would have cost substantial resources to get the antique process to where it is now, so it wouldn't make financial sense to give up on it after 1 series.

sadly for the mint though, buyers don't need to care about that and can just choose to ignore which I guess they are starting to do.

6. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I agree with you. Might be mints and sponsor of the coins run o of idea or just want to take a ride of the speed wagon for quick sell. They do not care of consumer because it is business for them.

Perth mints has strong marketing arms and sell distribution network. They might sold more than half of their stock to distributors before listing. As PM distributors you need to buy XX qty or amount on monthly basis which they reward you in term of tier pricing. Thus, some dealers can get better margin if he promoting PM stuff well and get sell.

7. jcanuck

jcanuck Member

Is it a problem with this particular series/the antique process or is it simply that there are 4 other antiqued Norse Gods series already for sale? I personally am staying away from these coins because I decided to go for db's 3 oz coins instead and because I feel that with 4 very similar looking 2 oz Norse Gods sets there is no potential for flipping and if I decide I'd like them at a later date, I can probably pick them up for a fraction of the cost. I'm staying away from the 2 oz kangaroo because Australian kangaroo coins are almost as abundant as actual kangaroos and I just don't see the new coin as being one that will hold it's value. I wouldn't mind picking one up in a couple of years when I can get it for half the price or less as I do think it's a nice coin.

If they'd gone with a different theme that could attract widespread interest and wasn't already available from other mints, I'd be a lot more inclined in picking up some coins that had gone through the antique process.

8. justsilver

justsilver Active Member

Collectors are tired of so many Odin Coin with Antique Finish.

lol.

To me,

3oz is better than 2oz.

Ultra High Relief is better than High Relief.

Eventually, collector will be in favor of Choice Mint's odin.

Lol.

[​IMG]

9. Silverrider

Silverrider Active Member

10. A888L

A888L Member Silver Stacker

Is the Perth Mint Odin coin all about the Horse or the Charactor on it ?
    To much Horse for my liking when you compare this coin to all the other Odin coins minted .
    Odin is known as a God seen with his weapons and dogs . Viewing the PM coin one could believe Odin is a Horse due to its overpowering presence in the design .
    Have all the Gods & Goddesses of Olympus coins plus the other four Odin coins issued .
    Not impressed with the PM's representation of Odin and will not purchase .
    Agree that Choice Mints version of Odin is the superior coin .

11. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

Why oh Why would someone ...anyone...release another Odin coin? The coin is nice looking I suppose but at this point who really needs another Odin? Looking forward to the next release from Choice.

12. barsenault

Ditto mtforpar. They're just sick, greedy, mo'fo's. :)). Choice Bullion #1, bar none.

13. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Already unavailable :rolleyes:

14. barsenault

The power of marketing

15. Fat Penguin

Fat Penguin Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Best place to buy the choice bullion Odin?

16. jcanuck

jcanuck Member

Go looking in the Odin thread, there are a few people around who have extras that they'd be happy to sell off. I've sold my extra one, but it looks like Chip and some others might have some for sale... http://forums.silverstackers.com/to...tar-of-a-beautiful-new-odin-coin-page-23.html I really like the Choice Bullion Odin, but I'm not a huge fan of the box. It makes a large coin look really small!

17. jcanuck

jcanuck Member

You sound incredibly disappointed, did you miss out? ;)

Good news! Perth Bullion still has several for sale. :D

18. jcanuck

jcanuck Member

I agree with you on the 3 oz Odin coin, that's why I went with that one. I think about 8,000 people (assuming all of these different series sell out) are going to be disappointed in the performance of their purchases over the long term. I'd be happy to tread water on many of my collector coins but it always sucks when you see the coin you bought at full price available for less than half the price you paid for it.

Though looking at your picture, I still really like the Hera coin from the Goddesses set. Athena is also pretty nice, but I'm not a huge fan of the Aphrodite coin.
    BTW I have a couple of extra complete sets of the Goddesses Series if anyone is interested, just shoot me a PM.

19. mkv

mkv Member

Received today my coin. The packaging is great. Well done Perth Mint. Now, it is much easier to store ;) The coin details are astonishing! One of the best (if not the best)...

20. thefitter

thefitter Member

anyone know when the 2nd coins is coming out