Why the craziness?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by bobmin357, Mar 1, 2016.

1. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What craziness?

2. Stack'n Oz's

Stack'n Oz's New Member

As a new stacker, I think the OP (bobmin357) has a valid point. I started to watch every video I could to get an idea of size, value and popularity etc,. etc, and even many of the people who stack who are seemingly rational (if rational can be defined as not thinking the world's coming to an end soon), all say, "And if there's ever a SHTF scenario..."

How soon into the diatribe they get to it, generally speaks to their vigor in the thought. Maybe everyone who doesn't really believe it does it to add that one other element to justify the hobby. But they DO seemingly always bring it up when they get to talking about why they stack save the very few.

I guess it's because it's like anything you are trying to sell yourself on - volume counts. When trying to sell yourself or others, you bring everything to the table in the hopes one of the notions sticks in the audience's head or they are just simply overwhelmed by such volume they stop thinking lol.

I hardly notice it now, but when I started watching, it really stood out for me as well. I thought I was hearing a Glenn Beck commercial in all of them lol

3. darkclark

darkclark New Member

I think the prepping ideology sort of creeps up on you once you start stacking you start reading more and not all of it is nut job. i stacked as a hobby and still do but recently discovered i had a reasonably decent pension fund back home in scotland that i started when i was young and before i emigrated to Australia now in 50 and thinking i could use it to bu a decent house and sime land in tasmania and retire early and be self sufficient. Only trouble is the uk pension laws have changed and my habds are tied or i would do it now so sitting here in Melbourne stressing that my chance might pass me by

4. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Are you calling evangelist's crazy? .. revelations - the rapture!

5. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Some start out believing the nutty fear mongering end-of-times / prepper rhetoric....then we come to our senses and realize the vast majority of it is just shear crazy talk.

Sadly, and maybe predictably, people like these are the only one's right about their own end of days..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonestown

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Solar_Temple#Mass_murders_and_suicides

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven's_Gate_%28religious_group%29#Mass_suicide_and_aftermath

Keep in mind, even if the world doesn't end tomorrow in a whirlwind of turmoil and catastrophe, precious metals will still be seen as a store of value by millions of people just as it is seen today.

6. BenKenobi

BenKenobi Well-Known Member

Not to get all Christian and biblical like, Buuuut, the same bible these preppers are reading proclaiming end of days, rapture, Armageddon and the like, also states, people will be throwing their gold and silver on the streets. That will be the ultimate time for stackers, free silver and gold!!!!! Maybe these prepper types should consider reading the rest of the bible. They might just be surprised what they find.

7. Stack'n Oz's

Stack'n Oz's New Member

8. BenKenobi

BenKenobi Well-Known Member

Haha, classic post Stack, love it.

9. GrindeRyan

GrindeRyan Member

People can make money from youtube, making everything they say entirely "true".

10. bobmin357

bobmin357 New Member

Yes I am. On the other hand every time one of the so called "End of the world" deadlines has passed, there are bargains to be found on eBay as people realize they stockpiled for nothing and are trying to recover their losses.

11. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Many of the "end of the world" evangalists could simply be pumpers, and may be profiting quite well from all of this.

12. Stack'n Oz's

Stack'n Oz's New Member

Could? Could!? LOL!

I'm not trying to say that the world isn't going to hell in a handbasket, but come on, read a little history. Every single generation for centuries has thought that the world is going to hell in a handbasket. Heck, you don't have to look that far back to see that people have died in recent memory preparing to jump on asteroids and "drinking the Kool aid." If you don't know where the term drinking the Kool aid comes from, Google Jonestown.

Profiting from those who can't see cyclical in the madness that is man, should be illegal. But it kind of kills the notion that you and your generation is special doesn't it lol.

Doomsday Evangelists make bank off of ignorance - or are themselves ignorant.

Preparing for a hyperinflation scenario isn't nearly as silly as it might seem to those outside of us stackers. But silver and gold will not be the answers to our prayers, it just might ease a little of the pain for a while. But only for a while.

Sorry < steps off soapbox - oh and that wasn't directed at you SilverPete lol >

13. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The concept of craziness is all relative.

Personally I find stackers who stack because they have some kind of attachment or love of the metal to be a bit crazy. Collectors who pore over their "precious" coins and bars like Gollum are nuts.

People who stack as a form of investment or insurance because they are concerned about the state of global (or local) economies or politics are rational and quite sane to me. SHTF for many could be as simple as a local currency collapse or debt default or banking failure. It really is not so unlikely as to be beyond the rational persons consideration.

14. lk07

lk07 New Member

I wouldn't believe everything you watch on youtube to be honest.. as mentioned above you don't know whether people are creating videos for views or not.. If you want the TRUTH read the bible, that is where you will find all the answers you need. Ask God and he will answer!

15. Number 47

Number 47 Well-Known Member

I stack because It's part of a diverse investment portfolio and because in the event of an alien invasion I'll be able to trade the precious metal with the aliens to spare me the indecency of an anal probing.

Peter likes this.
  16. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi lk07, you posted this in the wrong thread unfortunately.
    If you ask kindly admin will move it to JOTD.
    Cheers,
    Stoic

Silverbandit007 likes this.
  17. The Crow

The Crow Member Silver Stacker

I've been hanging out around scientists for a long time now. I'm beginning to believe that for all the average scientist knows, you may as well read the bible. So much that is scientifically published is based upon the pre-existing delusions of the the researcher in question, that I'm left wondering if science has discovered anything much , yet, that could be empirically proven by an independent researcher. May as well watch and believe YouTube!

18. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

That's beyond double face palm worthy. It's a facepalm of biblical proportions.

Gullintanni likes this.
  19. Gullintanni

Gullintanni Well-Known Member

Double face palm would be the court of appeal ruling i read last night by Justice Collins where he quotes "Cicero" in his ruling .
    He ruled that even though the NZ police obtained this evidence while committing bail act offences and imitation court documents and FALSE OATHS that Cicero dictates that "proportionality "should be taken into account.
    So non serious charges were allowed to have evidence excluded while"serious" charges were allowed to retain and use the illegally obtained evidence.
    Just mind boggling that we quote literature from 2000 years ago in order to protect police and their ADMITTED illegal practices.
    Now that is face palm material.

20. The Crow

The Crow Member Silver Stacker

You ought to try hanging with scientists - the whole universe-ity is one big face-palm. It has to be experienced to be believed. Or dis-believed. Better yet - ignored!

Gullintanni likes this.