Anybody else pickup the Dawn of Justice 2016 $20?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by SilverFox, Feb 29, 2016.

1. SilverFox

SilverFox New Member

Had to pickup one of these for my son's collection, too cool. Anyone have one yet?[​IMG]
    Source:

2. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I wonder if the actual coin looks anything like that drawing.

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I was collecting the series from the beginning and already have a few of the earlier coins but since then I have kind of quit collecting them because...

I got ripped off on a pre order from an eBay seller in 2014
    They cost me way more than C$20 so it kind of defeats the purpose of getting a $20 for $20 coin
    They are not really $20 coins because you can't spend them or take them to a bank, so you are just over paying for a small amount of silver
    The themes have drifted away from Canadian imagery and just gone into crowdpleasers with tenuous links to Canada.
    I can't afford the $50 for $50 or $100 for $100 series, the gap between the amount of silver and the price tag is too great, particularly as there is no redeemable face value.
    The idea is no longer unique to Canada, the UK has jumped on the bandwagon and another mint nearly went ahead with their version so it has been watered down
    I have quit the 20 for 20 series from the UK as well.
    Mintages go up for ones which are going to be popular (I don't have much of a problem with this though but would prefer some consistency across the series)
    No one else in the coin club has any interest what-so-ever in these so no idea who I am going to sell them on to.

Any one or two of those wouldn't have been enough to put me off the series but all of them together means I am going to put my money elsewhere.

Sorry for the appalling table, a better formatted one can be found at http://www.coinnews.net/2016/02/22/2016-20-batman-v-superman-silver-coin-for-20/

Silver Coins in $20 for $20 Series Mintage Sales Release
    2011 $20 for $20 Maple Leaf Silver Coin 200,000 Sold Out Feb 11
    2011 $20 for $20 Canoe Silver Coin 250,000 Sold Out Oct 11
    2012 $20 for $20 Polar Bear Silver Coin 250,000 Sold Out Feb 12
    2012 $20 for $20 Queen's Diamond Jubilee Coin 250,000 Sold Out May 12
    2012 $20 for $20 Farewell to the Penny Silver Coin 250,000 Sold Out Aug 12
    2012 $20 for $20 Magical Reindeer Silver Coin 250,000 Sold Out Sep 12
    2013 $20 for $20 Hockey Silver Coin 250,000 Sold Out Jan 13
    2013 $20 for $20 Wolf Silver Coin 250,000 Sold Out Mar 13
    2013 $20 for $20 Silver Iceberg Silver Coin 225,000 Sold Out Jul 13
    2013 $20 for $20 Santa Silver Coin 225,000 Sold Out Oct 13
    2014 $20 for $20 Canadian Goose Silver Coin 225,000 Sold Out Jan 14
    2014 $20 for $20 Bobcat Silver Coin 225,000 Sold Out Feb 14
    2014 $20 for $20 Summertime Silver Coin 200,000 Sold Out May 14
    2014 $20 for $20 Snowman Silver Coin 200,000 Sold Out Oct 14
    2015 $20 for $20 FIFA Women's World Cup Silver Coin 200,000 84% Mar 15
    2015 $20 for $20 Bugs Bunny Silver Coin 350,000 78% May 15
    2015 $20 for $20 Superman Silver Coin 350,000 Unknown Aug 15
    2015 $20 for $20 Gingerbread Man Silver Coin 200,000 84% Oct 15
    2016 $20 for $20 Tyrannosaurus Rex Silver Coin 300,000 Unknown Jan 16
    2016 $20 for $20 Batman v Superman Silver Coin 300,000 Feb 16

4. SolidFOOSER

SolidFOOSER Member

I bought one. I collect them all.
    Only cost me $20 and your wrong about the bank thing.....the bank down the street from me gives you $20 cash right there for them.

I used to collect the 100 for 100 but didn't like them so I cashed them at the bank

5. SilverFox

SilverFox New Member

Are people using these as currency? Would be awesome to go into the grocery store and get this as change.

6. Jislizard

Good to know, the early reports I heard http://www.thestar.com/business/201...l_tender_and_spending_money_the_hard_way.html http://canadiancoinnews.com/legal-tender-subtleties-leave-collectors-dealers-scratching-heads/ were not very promising so it is good to hear that more banks are aware of them. I was not surprised to hear that many shops didn't accept them.

The Royal Mint in the United Kingdom has sent out a note to the banks telling them not to accept any of the 20 for 20 coins.

What is the collector value of these coins? I was hoping they would be worth more than face value.

7. jcanuck

jcanuck Member

I'm not sure that you are correct with this claim. Elsewhere I have read about people being able to take them into the bank <in Canada>. If you do have some that you want to get rid of at face value, send me a PM, I'd be interested in taking them off your hands as I'll be returning to Canada soonish.

8. SilverFox

SilverFox New Member

$19.99 at Jm Bullion, unfortunately I paid a couple bucks more because they did not initially pop with first search query on Google. Thinking of stocking up since they seem to be hard to find in the US. http://www.jmbullion.com/2016-1-4-oz-canadian-silver-batman-superman-dawn-of-justice-coin/

9. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

I would like to know why in the hell Batman is wearing a seatbelt?? :)

10. SilverFox

SilverFox New Member

HAHA.... I will admit though I like it and knew my son would love it, its not the best design. Superman is cool, they could have done better with Batman. Also, its kind of weird to see on official currency, I think other mints may been able to put together a better overall design. Still love and wouldn't be surprised seeing myself pick up quite a few more.

11. Jislizard

Looks like the bank tellers are better trained to recognise the coins now that they have been out for a while, the first stories I heard were from when they were initially released and tellers were refusing to accept them. Obviously no one wrote a follow up article on banks accepting legal tender!

I have a couple of double ups but nothing that I would want to get rid of at face value. I think their relative scarcity in Australia would mean I would be able to get a bit more for them should I ever need to put them up on eBay. Thanks for the offer though.

12. jcanuck

jcanuck Member

No worries. I'll probably be testing the Australia waters soon for the few that I have here.

13. Jislizard

Well you would hope the new ones were selling for $20. I was getting mine from eBay and they were around US$25 each plus postage and packing so ended up being too expensive. I signed up with the Canadian Mint but they wouldn't sell them overseas at the time, I haven't checked more recently. The Royal Mint in the UK had free postage to my address in the UK so made them a better option and they had mintage limits of 10 which were higher than the Canadian offerings, which were limited to 3 I think.

Any idea what the sold out versions are selling for or if there is much interest in collecting them all? I picked up a few at face value in Australia because there wasn't any other interest in them on Silver Stackers at the time.

14. Jislizard

Not massively popular.

The first ones were quite novel and we had a Brisbane Silver Stackers' Auction where I picked a few up but since then there hasn't been a lot of interest. The last lot I picked up from a Canadian/Australia stacker he let go at face value after listing them on Silver Stackers for a week with no interest.

I think the Superman and Buggs Bunny ones would have broader appeal outside the usual themes.

15. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I've read that banks are not required to cash in some of these X for X coins. Maybe it differs from country to country but there are a couple stories around where banks have refused to cash in an X for X coin.

And only $20? That's a half ounce of silver, not an ounce. So for many people, $20 for half an ounce of silver is a rip-off. I'm not necessarily one of those people who thinks that $20 for a half ounce silver coin is a bad deal, but I'm just saying that these coins are not 1 ounce coins.

The reason I'm not saying it isn't worth $20....because what something is worth is different for everyone and while one may not value an interesting depiction of Batman in a seatbelt :) on a coin, another might. And besides there are other things to consider in terms of what the value of an X for X coin may be worth.

I purchased a couple of the Royal Mint's 2015 Britannia 50 for 50 silver coin ( http://www.coinworld.com/voices/louis-golino/2015/12/royal_mint_issued50.html ). Of course the metal value of the coin is not 50 but I still felt that it was worth purchasing this coin because of the extraordinary success of that Jody Clark design on the 2014 proof Britannia among other reasons.

16. SilverFox

SilverFox New Member

The LCS has a bunch of the Britannia's, not as cool as the super heros :). Wish they had the Dawn Of Justice ones.

17. Jislizard

Britannia not as cool as superheroes!?! 'Cool Britannia' was a thing! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool_Britannia

The last coins I picked up were the 50 for 50 and they will remain the last ones now I know that the banks won't cash them in for 50.

I think they will keep their numismatic appeal but if the mint finds something that sells, they flog it until it stops selling.

Over here there is a PNC for the year of the monkey, with a dragon coin on it,

[​IMG]
    Source: https://www.coincity.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=2726

Because Dragons really sell well, so why not use them more often, once every 12 years is too restrictive for commercial purposes.

I have already seen a few coins with Superman on them, they sold very well, I expect to see many more coins with Superman on them and they will probably be produced until sales fall below a certain level, by which time the market will be saturated with Superman product and the collectors will be tired of them. It also means the earlier ones will loose some of their luster as they will be lost among the dross.

18. SolidFOOSER

SolidFOOSER Member

I was saying here in Canada its only $20 to get them including shipping....so really cant go wrong. I collect them and enjoy them so for me that's nothing...especially if I can just go to the bank near me and cash them.....they are obvisely not an ounce...that's free silver :) but I do get your point about them being expensive for how much silver your getting, but its a collectors coin so never do you pay melt for a collector coin (well almost never).....also its 1/4oz of silver not half haha......even worse :p

19. jcanuck

jcanuck Member

A bit closer to a quarter of an ounce of silver, isn't it? The T-Rex coin is 7.96 g of 99.99% pure silver. So if I'm doing my math right, I think silver has to hit $80 CDN/oz before you're at spot... I was briefly thinking that there might be a play like for these coins like with the $10 Aussie state coins, but thinking about it a bit more, probably not.

20. wsd_collector

wsd_collector New Member

Just to confirm: You can indeed cash any RCM numismatic coin at a Canadian Bank, given your local branch knows how to accept them, and you have a good enough relationship with them for them to put in the effort.

I've cashed in thousands of dollars of $xx for $xx coins.