Kookaburra question

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Jim4silver, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

I scored a complete set of 1 oz silver Kooks today that came in a Littleton coin folder designed specifically for Kooks. Most of the coins showed minor rim toning (some more than others) so I gave all the coins a careful and light dip: now they all look BEAUTIFUL.

My question is, should I put them back into the stupid folder (I generally don't like said folders because coins tone even though it says "archival quality") or put them into brand new black ring air tites? I am leaning towards the air tites, but I have a local guy that I may try to flip them to next week, in which case I will put them back into the folder since I don't really want it. So they will just sit out until I decide if I am keeping them or not. If I don't flip them next week they are going into my long term stash. The air tites cost me $1 each but they are fantastic at protecting the coins.

I paid $21 per coin. I would be crying from joy if they all came in their original holders but that would be asking too much I know.

Thanks for any input!

Jim

2. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

Well you've most likely ruined them by dipping them. The toning will usually come back with a vengeance. You shouldn't have messed with them. I don't think I've seen a set without toning. Besides, some of the nicest tonning I've seen has been on the kooks, when the frosted surfaces get that yellow/gold toning

3. silver kook

silver kook Active Member

The earlier ones in the square capsules are usually toned on their rims nothing out of the ordinary.

4. Jim4silver

Ruined them?- don't think so. I have been dealing with coins for many years and I know when to dip and not to dip. We are talking bullion coins here and mine now look perfect. There is a level of toning that once it arrives there is no going back- mine weren't anywhere near that or I wouldn't have done anything. My coins now have amazing mint luster and no ugly "rust" color around the edge- it wasn't an attractive type of toning like on some coins.

I am not selling these on ebay or online. If I sell it will be to a local that WILL pay more for them now than before. Once in air tites they won't tone further. At least none of my other silver bullion coins in air tites have once put away properly.

PS A coin dealer friend once taught me how to properly dip coins. He used to dip Morgan silver dollars and various pre 33 US gold coins and send them in to be graded by PCGS and NGC, that was AFTER dipping them. Dipped coins (that are detected) are "bodybagged" or maybe a "genuine" designation but are not graded. So I trust my dipping skills although I would not try it on old US coins personally.

Jim

5. Jim4silver

I have a few of the older ones like that and I leave those alone, other than to put them into an air tite holder after I buy them to keep in storage, then put them back in the original holder to sell. That way they won't tone any more than they already have if I keep them for a while.

Jim

6. jcz1

jcz1 Member

Are you planning to disclose to your buyer that you dipped these?

7. Jim4silver

The person in mind I will tell because I know from past sales to him that he likes the coins that way (as do I). If I were selling them at a coin show or someplace else, then no. If they don't appear dipped and the buyer can't see it, I see no reason to mention it.

I bought these in the secondary market, I would not be surprised if they were dipped before. Then toned again, etc.

Jim

8. TasmaniaChrismy

TasmaniaChrismy Member

Hello, do u mind to share how to do a perfect dim? Thx in advance.

9. Jim4silver

Sorry I am sworn to secrecy on this one. I will say it does not involve the common "blue" coin dip that they sell at the local coin stores here.

Jim