2016 libertad 7 coin proof set , 250 limited mintage

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Leprechaun gold, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

Are you thinking BU?

2. Razz

Razz Member

5 oz 2015 proof cost 180 euro 2 oz proof 90 euro 1 oz proof 37 euro 1/2 oz proof 22 euro 1/4 not available 1/10 6,60 euro 1/20 4,80 euro
    this is the price with european dealers apmex is the most expensive dealer in the world !
    so if u want to justify the 600 dollar with wooden box so be it but its not my cup of thea
    u want a list ok this the ebay listing europe so more expensive then in the shops but nowhere near youre list with prices wel at least u have a wooden box
    http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from...+proof.TRS0&_nkw=libertad+2015+proof&_sacat=0

3. Sully

Sully Member

To be fair, Razz is quite correct about the proofs being singly available for much less, if you don't hang about.
    Some time back for the 2015's, on the first day of listing here in Europe, a well known dealer had (and sorry but i can't recall the exact figures, but approximates) the 5oz for under $200, the 2oz under $100, 1oz under $40, and the fractionals were smaller change.

It's true to say they are not available for those prices NOW. You've missed the boat on those prices by now.
    But for collectors of the Libertads who wait and watch for the release, which most in-the-know libertad collectors do, they were available for that.
    Prices ramp up lively in a very short time, though.
    Which is what i mean by that 'in the know'.
    At a certain point of the year, collectors visit the site of this known libertad dealer on a daily basis and when they appear they nab them.
    As sales start clocking up, so then too, do the prices until we get to where we are.

It's misleading to imply that todays prices given in the post above (edit to add, the post by DB23) for the individual coins should more than justify the cost of $595 for the 7-coin boxed set.
    Making it seem like a give-away.
    The fact is, the 7 coin box set is a different collectors item altogether with its own uniqueness with demand, etc.
    But equally the fact is the 7 individual proofs can and do get purchased for much less, let's be clear about that.

4. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

I took a look at the listings and this is what I found, using the link you provided. You are probably right its cheaper in shops which I don't have access to

17.4 euro 1/10 10,9 + 6,5 shipped
    17.4 euro 1/20 10,9 + 6,5 shipped
    65 euro 1/2 not including shipping
    80 euro 1 oz
    136 euro 2oz
    207 euro 5 oz
    -------------------total
    522.8 euro = $575 that's currently available without box and COA pieced together...

Pieced together when released yes, not after. So its kind of a wash but Razz is right it is just a wooden box and COA but I do think it adds a premium because it is for the collector. A justified or official set is nice.

5. Sully

Sully Member

yes.... todays prices. He also listed the initial prices, which are close to my own recollection.
    I can vouch strongly for the point Razz has made. $370 individually is close to my own sums.

6. db23

db23 Member

That price is still missing the 1/4oz, which on ebay is going for $100+ but is only available in graded form. How much were you paying for those at release?

7. Razz

Razz Member

maybe you see something else the 1 oz cost 45 euro not 80 in the shop they costs 35 euro
    but like i wrote before exept the 1/4 oz not more than 360 euro s for all why the f..k should i lie
    they are still for sale at these prices anybody wants to bet a 5 oz proof i will be happy to

8. db23

db23 Member

Nobody said that you lied, I simply asked how much the 1/4 was because over here they started out very high and almost impossible to source, I was trying to determine if it was the same there - that's all.

9. Razz

Razz Member

the same here with the 1/4 oz but the 1/2 oz are still available

10. Razz

Razz Member

[​IMG]
    This one i bought for 155 euro so thats why i got 2 !

11. Sully

Sully Member

That's right, and thanks for reminding me of that. I'm happy to correct myself the price was for the 6.
    The problem with the 1/4 was the same over here, too.
    And i did confuse things by saying 7 individual proofs, didn't i, instead of 6?
    At least Razz gave it correctly, and gave the cost of $370 ish, for the 6.
    Let's hope we don't see any supply issue with the 2016 1/4oz, or any of the others!
    All being well, i would expect the 2016 7 individuals to come in at under $400.
    But these are Libertads, after all, so who can predict? :D

12. Leprechaun gold

Leprechaun gold Member

As a collector I see this as a pointless argument , if you want to buy the loose sets at less money ,then do so . Loose coins will not hold the premium of the boxed sets , so far a minimum return of over 30% on your investment . Collectors will always want an authorised mint proof set with mint issue box and coa . Also it takes the gamble out of not getting a low mintage coin , bank of Mexico are always surprising collectors with the mintage numbers . Maybe some on here did not get the order in on time , I can see no disadvantage at buying a low mintage national mint coin in a boxed Mexico mint issue set that sells at a premium ? As regards to small increase in price , I think shipping costs have risen , also the labour involved in putting these sets together and the quality of coins used , I have never had a coin with issues when buying the sets, unlike some I have received from dealers sold as loose coins

13. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Personally, I am customer of the set and I do not mind to pay the high premium on the wooden box and coa.

I did offer the self assemble set with lower price. However, I choose to take the formal wooden box and coa. The damn wooden box and coa cost might be low BUT the premium on it is damn high for someone. However, it is worth a million to others.

As Leprechaun gold say pointless argument.

It is hard for a forum member like DB23, me and other sellers. Some hate you and some like you. Some just like to stir. Some forums pretend to be pure expert and free of speech BUT it act like old boy club and mastermind of someone. However, SS is still environment friendly and active Forum as comparing to others at this moment.

14. Razz

Razz Member

Pointless argument is someone try to tell me this set is so special other people pay big money extra for a wooden box
    so pointless if i say i bought it for 370 dollar without box a stormflood of critic comes from buyers who feel they overpayed
    its just my opinion and i dont hate nor stir anybody
    i think its the opposite some people cant have critic because they play a dominant part here on this forum and they feel like they can destroy everybody who doesnt agree with them

15. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

It is pointless IMHO to argue with the market. Regardless of whether one personally feels the market price for the set is too high, too low, or just right the fact remains that the market is correct. At this point in time, people are willing to pay the price for the 7 coin set with OGP as indicated by the super quick sell out. Furthermore, these have a history of increasing value. People who acquired one will not be disappointed IMHO with their decision.

If one can truly find a set of coins without the box for $370 I would say go for it. That is a good deal and I would buy it myself. It will probably also be a good investment in the long run. I don't see those prices being valid in my sphere of influence but who am I to say what one can and cannot obtain. However, that has little to do with the mint set with OGP value. If a collector wants a mint set with OGP, 7 loose coins will not be a substitute. So many coins are being sent in for grading nowadays that I have a sneaky suspicion that OGP may make a comeback to be more sought after in the future since most of it will be lost and/or destroyed through this grading phenomenon we are in now.

16. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

I agree that paying more "only for the box" doesn't make so much sense, as the pieces can be (or were) bought cheaper, but in case if you plan to re-sell it in the future set will probably (it seems) have higher premium. On PM market many things doesn't make sense, but as mtforpar said, if people are willing to buy...
    To be honest I'm mainly interested in 5oz and maybe 2oz coins. Over time my preference changed to bigger coins or medals. :) Bigger, better! :p
    Still would be nice to own one of this sets, if purchased soon.
    Who knows, maybe next year. :)