China hungry. Antarctica stuffed.

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by JulieW, Feb 5, 2016.

1. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

From Daily Reckoning.

2. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I know someone who had to go to Bejing for a week for his work. He said he had to stay indoors for the whole time because the air was so polluted.

3. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There's an Australian company that makes high quality air purifiers and filters. I believe China is a good export market for them. If you have a few grand to spend on an air filter, I can strongly recommend their products over any China import (based on my experience): http://www.inovaairpurifiers.com.au/aboutus.php

4. SpacePete

I wonder if food prices in Australia will massively increase as we compete with Chinese buyers willing to pay high prices for healthy produce? (Similar to the natural gas market where Australian consumers must compete with the international market for Australian gas.)

We may find ourselves surviving on crappy Chinese instant noodles while the best produce heads offshore. No point complaining however, we should each learn how to grow our own healthy vegetables and maybe even own some chickens. The farms and water rights may be sold off to foreign buyers, but we'd still have a degree of autonomy and independence if we could supply our own food.

5. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks but I don't plan on ever going to China in my lifetime

6. Topherclaus

Topherclaus Active Member

Do you have a link to a full article?

7. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

8. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

Until they start using CIA tactics and contaminate our lands, forcing us to buy their products. =_=

Well, it's worth a shot anyway SilverPete. We gotta try and see how far we can go. :cool:

9. QLDSILVER

QLDSILVER Member

Obviously tired of the other 'eases' scientific whaling pursuits in Australian southern waters and will commence endangered species relocation from Antarctica to their new 'Sanctuary Island' in the south China Sea...

10. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

Increase Aus beef exports to China .. means that there will be less available for Australian market ... beef prices will increase dramatically which we are already seeing
    (not to be helped by China buying whole or part of Kidman holding/assets - which is their intention)

Same goes for Aus farms they are buying up - China has already declared that all produce will be exported

So we will be stuck importing lesser quality food - which due to our ridiculously lax food labelling laws here, we wont really know exactly how much or what is in that can / meal

Not to mention the radioactive fruit that Japan is exporting to AUS apparently as its too hot for their own standards.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

11. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Time for gardens in the yard to change to vegetables and home grown produce?
    If you do and live in an inner city area you might also have extensive lead pollution in your soils. Be aware and either get your soils tested or use raised garden beds.

If you don't want creepy Chinese noodles there is always Indonesian noodles.

12. SpacePete

To complement the extensive lead pollution, I also have a nice dusting of asbestos. The daycare centre outside of which asbestos was dumped a few years ago is a couple of hundred meters from my apartment, just near a nice little community garden. There are numerous building sites here in inner Sydney that don't bother with dust & airborne pollution control. There was also mention of uncovered trucks taking away asbestos waste and it was blowing off in the wind.

13. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yeah. Better to let the fuckers starve. How dare they be foreign and how dare Australians sell shit to them. I hate it when people freely do what they want with their property because they should give it to me. :mad:

<sarc>

14. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Here comes the Fallacy Ref:

[​IMG]

15. SpacePete

It seems you are more offended by people commenting on such matters.

16. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well, they did freely do what they wanted with their own property, didn't they? They covered it with industrial pollutants.

If you can just go out and buy more land after trashing your own, where is the incentive not to destroy productive land that food grows on?

17. bordsilver

I'm offended by people who make shallow arguments for the purpose of stealing other people's basic rights (see my sig).

18. SpacePete

Basic rights. So you are arguing that the people of Australia don't have the basic right to plan for growth in on-shore demand in an environment of growing off-shore demand due to population growth and destruction of productive agricultural land. Would such argument lead to denying the basic right of self-defense through preemptive action to prevent future problems? Where are the concepts of time and change in this debate?

19. bordsilver

No. If you look at the context I am arguing about people's right to peacefully trade their property with whoever they wish. It is one of the most fundamental rights that flows from people's natural right of self-ownership and consequent right to life and liberty.

20. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

When the cost of replacing the productive land you have trashed is more expensive than sustainable stewardship and/or rehabilitation practices.

Obviously farming land in Australia is cheap, which is good news because you and SP can get together and buy one of these farms that are being sold to foreign interests if you that feel strongly about it.

Oh that's right you don't.........you just want the government to ban the sale. :rolleyes: :lol: