Best form for gold as investment / protection

Discussion in 'Gold' started by pthysse, Jan 21, 2016.

1. pthysse

pthysse New Member

2. hussman

hussman Member

Welcome. This issue has been discussed at length if you search the forum.

3. pthysse

pthysse New Member

Thanks I've done a search but not really getting a clear picture, do you have a 'go to' thread you can link me?

Cheers

4. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

low premium certified gold in bar form or if you're investing in SMSF un-allocated is your friend

5. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

6. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Trade and Investment purposes not really the same.

Various generic fractional coins would be best for trading during a SHTF scenario when there is no currency.

Low premium bars would be better for converting back to new currency after a SHTF scenario

Either way you want low-premium and you want common / well recognised products so you don't have trust / unfamiliar issues with whomever you're dealing with during / after the SHTF.

7. BuggedOut

If you're not afraid of paper assets and are confident the stockmarket (or at least stock ownership) would survive a fiat collapse then I reckon buying gold miner shares is a good way to go too. Just be sure to buy into one that doesn't have high dependency on the financial system (ie, no / low debt & not leveraged)

8. pthysse

pthysse New Member

9. BuggedOut

Sure. I wouldn't argue against those choices.

Ideally you'd want to get a lower premium if you had the time to shop around and/or buy 2nd hand (such as the forum here) but if you're in a hurry then just make sure you get it in your hand a.s.a.p. Buy from the store or at least make sure Ainslie have got what you want IN STOCK and ready to deliver. If you get caught on a 3-week backorder and SHTF you could easily get screwed.

10. hiho

Selling 1 oz bars can be difficult even at spot

11. pthysse

pthysse New Member

"1oz bars can be difficult to sell even at spot"

Why's that?

12. hiho

Think about the cost of 1oz of gold in the future, even at $1600/ oz you price a majority of people out, however you can always sell to a dealer at spot

13. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

There is gold bullion to suit all budgets., likewise when you come to sell your bullion the best form will be what the person you are selling it too wants.. for this reason and for reasons of time management i would in hindsight stack generic common and evergreen popular gold.. sovs, perth mint & abc ingots / buttons, perth mint gold coins fractional etc..

If you are in America its the AGE, Canada the Maple

Only buy near spot so you can sell near spot.. (this is huge as if you demand a premium the potential buying pool will be heavily reduced

In terms of protection they used to give soldiers sovereigns.. they are still my fav as numi, antique, historical and very popular so will likely preserve your wealth even in the event of gold tanking (if you pick good sovs!)

Might as well get the Lunar Perth Mint fractional over Roos etc as i figure demand will be greater... same story getting dragon or horse as popular lunar animals.

Think and decide as objectively as possible.. what you choose should not be your preference, its what the market will demand in the future that should shape your decision making.

1for1

14. Topherclaus

Topherclaus Active Member

The only downfall I see for the fractional coins or Vertibars etc is the premium is so much. I do stack have some (very few) for the SHTF scenario but tend to carry silver more because it is a much more practical value per unit. Only now that I have a good base of coins am I once again buying bars.

I guess what I'm saying is the premium is just hard to justify in my head. But I do agree that in SHTF you're going to want a range of smaller units available. Just keep it to a reasonable number I guess.

15. kramer

kramer Member

Coke bottle full of $2 coins :D

16. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

They would actually be more useful during a vast number of more conceivable practical crises than some ridiculously low percentage prepper fantasy SHTF scenario.
    Anyone who stacks gold and silver for crisis and does not do the same with cash is doing it wrong.

17. JB3

JB3 Member

Well... there is a difference of course between PMs with 'inherent' value (whether you believe in 'inherent' value or not, whatever value they have comes from them being what they are), and cash. Cash is a promissory note for something else and has the counterparty risk of governmental backing - no governmental backing, no value.

That said, a SHTF scenario will, I suspect, involve capital controls long before a currency cancellation so I agree with your basic point: it is foolish to have only gold to hand and not cash.

When the banks shut and you can't access your accounts, it is better to have cash on hand than try and sell gold for cash - at that time, cash will be too precious to get good value for your metal and, if you sold then, you'd have less left for the aftermath.

Keep it safe and hidden though. In those situations, anyone with cash and gold will be a target.

18. Topherclaus

Topherclaus Active Member

I have been doing this lately, but I am unsure what level to go to really. What level of cash is a sensible amount and where have you gone too far?
    Do you sit on like $1000pp or are people estimating greater SHTF scenarios, where cash is still valuable, and sitting on $10 000pp? I'm just unsure what others are prioritising.

19. kramer

kramer Member

10k will give you options. if capital controls / bail ins' do come to fruition you'll be glad you have some. The only downside is opportunity cost and in the current global environment it's more about capital preservation then return on investment. $2 , $5, $10, $20 i think are worthwhile for most everyday transactions. I think we may see the value of 5, 10, 20c coins exceed face value once this commodities rout plays out. UK is quietly exchanging their cupronickel coinage to steel and profiting handsomely from selling the underlying metals. Also there is very little downside to stacking this coinage. your buying at face value and can exchange at face value should you wish to. Nickel is a very interesting metal used in many applications and might be worthy of further consideration.