Most recognised mints

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Topherclaus, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Topherclaus

Topherclaus Active Member

I'm trying to build a correction of just the most recognised mints, like a task of collecting them all. I'm still stacking rounds and bars too but I like the idea of a collection like that.

If you were to collect the most famous/influential coins (1oz), what would you're list look like?

2. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

ASE,CML, Perth Mint I believe these are world recognised Mint.

but Gatito love pepper mint.... It refresh his mouth, that what he reckon...

3. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

The American Silver Eagle is a coin---not a mint. The Canadian Silver Maple is also a coin---not a mint. The ASE is produced by the US Mint and the CSM is produced by the Royal Canadian Mint.

If you Google "mints of the world", it'll lead you to mintsoftheworld.com and if you explore that site, you'll find a list of major world mints. The list may not be very current, but it's a starting point for the project you have in mind. Another and probably easier way to approach your project might be to check out what can be found at the Apmex website. Their prices mostly run in the high retail range, but they have a bigger and better inventory of world silver coins than the rest of the main online vendors. Good luck with your project.

4. Topherclaus

Topherclaus Active Member

I get what you're saying, but those coins are famous because of the mint, or vice versa? Yes, I should coat that up though; I'm looking for the famous coins of the 'major' mints.

This far I have Maples, Liberty, Britannia, Philharmonic, Roos and a koala but no kook yet, not in silver, plus the lesser-known stuff. Interested to know what 'the set' would be in your opinions.

5. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

The US Mint and the RCM were both around for a long time before they started producing the ASE and CSM. Those two coins are the main low-premium bullion coin they produce and they both produce them in massive quantities. The ASE and the CSM are two of the most widely distributed bullion coins in the world today. I think they'd be better called "all over the place" than "famous".

If you want to collect well-known silver coins made by well-known mints, you could end up getting into a lot of coins that aren't in production any more. The American Morgan dollar (1880ish-early 1900's) and the Monnaire de Paris Hercules and the Nymphs (1970's) are examples. The list of coins you could include in a collection like you've described could get to be a really big list. This kind of collection is something you could take to whatever degree you want to take it to. You could limit it to 1 or 2 dozen current coins or you could end up spending a lot of money to take it over the top and include coins from Africa, Asia and South America. That mintsoftheworld.com list of mints and the Apmex inventory should give you a couple good start points. Good luck with your collection project.

Edit: I forgot to say... I started into this same project a few years ago. I gave up on it when I found out how really far-reaching it can get.