Shopping list for a new starter.

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Outlaw, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Outlaw

Outlaw New Member

Hi

Thanks for being so welcoming.

I'm trying to put a shopping list together to focus my purchases over the next 3 months and I'd like to get a little advice.

I'm going to have between 500 and 1000 ASU$ to spend each month so I think over the next 3 months I should focus my purchases on the following:

1) Kooks I was thinking of splitting my purchase across the 2016 Kooks and an older Kooks range.
    2) Congo Gorilla and Panda (not sure which Panda)
    3) Kola and Dragon

I think having a plan for a few months might be a good thing whilst I learn more so these came across as sensible and safe initial purchases (as safe as these things can be) but I'd love to get some suggestions and advice :)

Think I'm going to really enjoy this.

Scott

2. o-to

o-to Member

Hi Scott,

Be careful with the Congo Gorilla. It is absolutely not a reconised coin playing in the same league as kooks, pandas, lunar or rwandas.

It is only on of the hundreds of new coins out there.

Yes it's a nice one, yes the price is attractive but the market for this coin when you'll try to sell it down the road is ridiculous compare to the one of the other coins I have mentioned before.

Not saying it wont do well but it's just absolutely not the same market.

Good luck!

3. Outlaw

Outlaw New Member

So perhaps I could adjust my list a little at this stage.

1) Kooks I was thinking of splitting my purchase across the 2016 Kooks and an older Kooks range.
    2) Lunars (dragon + others) and Panda (not sure which Panda)
    3) Kola and rwandas

I assume when you talk about rwandas you mean something like this? I hadn't really notice these as I was trying to develop a shoping list.

http://www.perthbullion.com/shop/detail/rwandameerkat16sco1/

Whats the deal with the Kolas and the Kangaroos, are they just not considered the same investment grade as Kooks.

Guess I'm trying to spread my stack a little acorss different coins as I guess you could just buy Kooks all the time?

With lunars I was going to focus on Perth Mint Coins, are any years better than any or its good to have a spread again?

I assume assume the trick is not to get sucked into gimic coins stick to classics?

4. Topherclaus

Topherclaus Active Member

O-to is right, they aren't currently in the same league as the rest of the list. But with a low mintage, a beautiful coin, and an anticipated annual release with new designs; I'll be very surprised if the Congo doesn't go big - if they maintain the design quality. Maybe I'm biased since I own some, but the reason I bought them was they just make sense to me. And for the price, why wouldn't you?

- just my 2 cents.

5. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

"Koalas" (not Kolas). Kooks, and Lunars are the staple bullion coins from the Perth Mint over at least the past decade.

Roos are not a proven bullion coin like the other 3.

Pandas are good but you may be paying more for them since they are not a domestically produced coin for you and lots of fakes abound.

6. SilverSiren

SilverSiren Active Member

Without knowing more about what you intend to do with the silver coins you're planning to buy, it's difficult to advise you, but unless you want to start building collections, I wouldn't bother chasing after coins that have already gone up in price. I would stick to 2016 Perth Mint releases, many of which have already gone up a bit in price since pre-sales began for most of them weeks or months ago. Kolas haven't been out very long, and their mintage is being limited to 300k this year, so they may end up doing well once they sell out. Are you considering the 2016 Perth Mint roos that sell close to spot, or the Royal Australian Mint roos that sell at a high premium? Both types of roos have been good buys for us. 2016 silver and fractional gold pandas have been doing very well here in the US so far, especially the 1g and 3g sizes of gold, but everyone is selling them at a higher premium now. Meerkats have also been very well received. The Rwanda African Ounce wildlife series does very well, even though they stopped limiting the mintage in 2014 (2013 BU Cheetah mintage was capped at 10,000). You have no interest in picking up any round fiddies?!