2016 Wedge Tailed Eagle

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by johnnyhann, Dec 21, 2015.

1. silver kook

silver kook Active Member

If you can get them for a low premium they would be worth buying.

2. bigsky

bigsky Active Member Silver Stacker

KJC currently has 260 at reasonable prices for a roll or more, less than a roll prices there are over the top.

Bought some from them yesterday slightly lower premium if I remember correctly

They only had 30 left after my order, so they must have upped the quantity they had in stock

It will be interesting how many of these Perth Mint has pumped out, and from memory the first roll
    I bought was pretty well line ball pricing with the kooks, this could be a pretty successful series
    if it is continued with different designs yearly now, worth a punt around sub $8-$10 premium IMO
    for this year depending on final mintages which we wont know for a while

cheers grant

3. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

I am not sure a higher than expected mintage would change much to future premium given the desighn change of the coin was after only 2 years, admittedly the 2014 will be worth more than the 2015 unless the 2015 ends up a very low mintage. PM may have already melted all the remaining 2015,s given 2016 is already under production and they are no longer selling the bullion version.

Why did they change the desighn? It may be because the 2015 were not popular due to reoccurring desighn resulting in low sales(which was quite clearly shown by many on SS) or simply because they now have the Kanga? either way it looks like there is only 2 years of this desighn and not many collectors would want just one of the two! PM is not going to re mint an unpopular 2015 coin and the 2014 was under low mintage contract.

Pity as I was looking forward to a same desighn every year WTE,maybe because I love and collect ASE,s?

4. Eliassamaha

Eliassamaha Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yeah they were 300 last night I bought 40 of them

5. SliderC

SliderC Active Member

"First year release"...huh?

6. fishtaco

This new 2016 WTE may not change desighn again every 2 years? there may be some reason PM cant use the original desighn beyond the 2015,I am sure no one expected 2014 desighn WTE to be realised again in 2015 before its announcement?

Why would anyone say "better stock up on this 2016 first year release"? everyone in the coin game must know people only really started selling their 2014s on because they were disappointed the 2015 same desighn release was announced!

It makes no sense to change a desighn every 2 years from a selling point? may as well change it every year as they already do with all the others. the 2016 WTE could be an every year same desighn or could be an every year desighn change but I cant see it being an every 2 year desighn change.

My money is on the 2014/2015 WTE being unique due to its origins of being.

2007 and 2008 koalas are now 4-5 times spot if you can even get one,2009 and up are nowhere near the asking prices of the first 2 bullion koalas, I would much rather be holding a stack of 2007-2008 koalas at over double spot than a stack of 2009 koalas at under double spot! same for WTE,s. :)

7. fishtaco

I fully agree with your last statement but I am talking about newer collectors/buyers/stackers like myself who still have a real possible opportunity to increase dramatically their sell v buy premium potential! some of you guys speculate on many bullion coins and dedicate much time and effort in securing large amounts of a seemingly sure thing coins at absolutely no more than "release premium" to eventually sell on at a good profit. Not all of us are able to do this! My money was always on the WTE 2014 and 2015. I managed to score a few 2014,s with high,ish secondary premium on ss once the 2015 was announced, and then some more with not so high premium because of the whole disappointment thought proses of maybe not maximising premium plus on their treasured 2014,s so the 2015 for me at release premium was a no brainer. WTE is just a possible opportunity available to those already used to paying premium plus. this because the more experienced are hesitating to re buy these WTE,s at what seems to them to be premium plus plus and a possible "what was I thinking" and basicly getting caught with their pants down over the 2015 release :)

Even if they never appreciate to really high premiums the 2014/2015 is a quality designed and minted coin so it will always be sort after in the future. :)

8. Redemer

Redemer New Member

Is there any timeline on when or if this coin comes out? I was at Perth bullion today and they said they have no info on this coin yet.
    I picked up some 2014 eagle's but didn't bother with the 2015's thinking the design wouldn't change. Now I need to source 1 to keep at least one set complete.

9. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

They should already be out. Well according to eBay...http://m.ebay.com/itm/131683647487

10. Redemer

Redemer New Member

Just picked up a roll of 2015's from KJC. Didn't think there would be any left but they had 200.

11. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Is it just me, or is there way too much blank space in the design of the '16 reverse?

Otherwise, a fairly nice-looking coin..

12. Sully

Sully Member

big blank areas = future privy mark locations

13. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

I have a sealed roll of 2014s if anyone interested........

14. silver kook

Any idea where to buy the 2016 at a reasonable price?

15. Redemer

Redemer New Member

It's not released yet. Not sure when it's coming out tho.

16. fishtaco

For sale everywhere in north america. so yes it has been released just not for sale in Australia!

Australian minted coin not for sale in Australia until we are ready to buy it :lol:

17. silver kook

Couldn't wait I picked one up off ebay from an Aussie seller for $39. Overpriced but I can't wait. Hopefully Perth Bullion will get them as they had the previous years.

18. Redemer

Redemer New Member

I hope Perth bullion get them too. It's crazy that I cant buy the coin from the same city as it's made but what are you going to do...

19. fishtaco

They will be available in Perth but north america buys the majority of these coins from PM.

If west aussies could buy this and other coins at Perth mint before anyone else way too many flippers would buy in bulk just to immediate re sell to north american buyers before north american release date and at huge premiums taking away much of the initial release date profit and some new coin sales margins from PM.s biggest regular dealers.

Silver Kook just paid at least $10 more for one because he couldn't wait ,how do you imagine this would affect dealer mint relations if a huge amount of money (given north american coin buying population v Australia) ended up in Aussie flippers pockets instead of the dealer business account used to buy such numbers from PM in the first instance.

Too passive looking this desighn anyway! I am sure a deal would have been struck between somebody in uSA and PM to keep the American Eagles looking more dominant and powerfull than the 2016 WTE, 2014/2015 WTE depiction was just too powerful a lookig eagle not to be American. :D

20. silver kook

The Aussie Eagle looks way more powerful than the Canadian Birds of Prey series.