Do you prefer 22K or 24K Gold Coins?

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by BullionBoy, Dec 11, 2015.

1. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown New Member

Lets face it the Americans are avid collectors of their coins hence the rather overpriced market for Eagles and Buffalo on eBay and other auction sites. Many UK sovereigns are extremely rare but don't command the same price. SO if you can get an American coin at a decent price, I would say go for it....22k or 24k. I recon you will be able to get a better resale price for it in the future (depending of course on the price of gold when you decide to sell).

Having said that, the UK Guinea and Sovereign prices have soared in the last 10 years so you can't go wrong with a key date British Guinea or Sovereign in high, desirable condition either. IMHO.

2. JNS

JNS Active Member Silver Stacker

Beside from the point of saving money in 24k bullions, Enjoying the knowledge of gold circulated coins 0.90 or 0.916 bring so much fun. Why settle in one thing if there is infinite array in 22K basis of getting good price in same gold content. Will always look for low premium when it comes to gold coin collecting.

3. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown New Member

I totally agree JNS. Its not the purity but the fascinating history behind the coins that is so intriguing. Over the years I have widened my purchases to UK, US, Russian and European coins and have learnt quite a bit about those countries and their history. Would like to dip a toe in the Asian antique gold coin market (Japan, China Korea) but only once I feel confident I know enough about them.

4. JNS

JNS Active Member Silver Stacker

Sometimes, i put them in a group or in line, some of them are ugly as it is :D :D year by year i found myself improving, i learned about re-strikes and coins need to grab when a sudden puff out occurs in my hunt. You can see very well if you look at them comparatively bare. They are really fascinating. I am always keeping money for gold coins and move some of savings if worth to buy.

5. Killface

Killface Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Does that mean there is a customs provision allowing us to bring non-investment grade coins into Aust customs/GST free? Or just that it's a relatively safe risk..

6. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

I like whatever I can get for spot.