Perth Lunars: price of 1 kg and 10 oz

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Cheepo, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Cheepo

Cheepo New Member

Greetings,

I have been looking at 1 kg and 10 oz Perth lunar coins on ebay, and I find instances when the price of the 10 oz coin is almost the same as the price of the 1 kg coin (for older coins). Sometimes I go "oh, this is a cheap 1 kg coin", and then I click on it and find out it's a 10 oz coin. This doesn't make any sense because the 1 kg of course has 3 times more silver, and cost 3 times more new.

Am I mistaken, and maybe it was just a one-off, or is this a trend many people have observed? If yes, why is it? Because more people prefer to collect 10 oz coins (maybe because they are less bulky)?

2. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My guess is it's to do with scarcity and mintage. Which coins in particular are you talking about?

3. Cheepo

Cheepo New Member

4. House

You are indeed missing something... The kilo is priced in GBP which is about AU$1,200. That 10oz is just ridiculously overpriced and will never sell.

5. Cheepo

Cheepo New Member

That's why I edited my post, and posted both coins in HK$. Please check again.

So the 10 oz is overpriced? Do both prices (for 10 oz and 1 kgs) move by a similar amount? I am interested in buying 1 kg coins, but if the 10 oz coins historically did better, then I will buy 10 oz coins for my collection (just in case one day I want to sell).

In general, is it easier to sell 10 oz coins or 1 kg coins? What do you reckon?

6. House

Very much so given my recent auction for 1/2,1,2,5 and 10oz Dragons achieved $585. But it is eBay so easily could be someone willing enough to pay that price at any stage.

Kilo Dragons on here usually go for $800-$850ish but I have sold on eBay for $1300. Mintage is unlimited until S3 begins so the PM could sneakilymint 10,000 and put them on the market if there's sufficient demand such as a dealer commissioning them to do so.

7. Cheepo

Cheepo New Member

Cool, thanks. So I should consider buying 10 oz rather than 1 kg coins :)

Another question: the roadsign series is pretty cool. I like a series with a different design yearly (I mean completely different, like the lunar, not like to cooks or coalas). Is the roadsign series here to stay for a few more (or many more) years?

8. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Key coin for KG S11 is Tiger which is around AUS1250-1500. excluding postage.

All other lunar S11 kg should be lower than it otherwise is overpriced. Take note the kg can mint again till 2019.

9. Cheepo

Cheepo New Member

Thanks. The 1-10 oz not? Only the Kg can mint again? I think it can mint again all coins, right?