Since when did coin releases become more about the case than the coin?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by SpacePete, Nov 21, 2015.

1. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It seems like people increasingly care more about the latest novelty coin presentation case rather than the coins themselves.

What is happening? When did this start??

2. SpacePete

Having watched Idiocracy, I think I know the future of collector coin releases:

[​IMG]

3. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

Perhaps the more gimmicks, the higher the premium on the coin? Makes it seem like you are getting more for the money than just an ounce of silver.

Just my opinion.

Jim

4. SpacePete

Yep, that's probably a big part of it. In a crowded market, you can compete on quality or gimmicks. Whatever makes money I guess.

5. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I guess...:lol:

6. SpacePete

Coconuts.

7. Ghost

Ghost Member Silver Stacker

Gee wiz, Bron's let himself go.... :D

8. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Damnit SilverPete, you earned yourself a medal!

9. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

it has always been thee printing press. coa :)

10. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

With the value of silver so low down in the gutter, the case/box is actually now quite a bit more valuable than the 1 oz silver coin. So now, when I get my coins, I just chuck the coins in the backyard dirt somewhere and I vacuum seal the coin boxes and stack coin boxes instead of silver coins.

The best part of stacking coin boxes/cases instead of the coins is that I've got no more milk spotting problems to worry about!

;) :D

11. long88

long88 Member

When the coin comes with presentation/gimmick, its value become arbitrary defined (sentimental/colour/presentation) therefore it is easiear to make money when you cant place value on it.

With straight coins, everyone know its spot value. Therefore it is harder to fool

12. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Only "certain" people who have fell for the gimmick marketing tricks. Many are guilty of it though including myself like wanting square cap kooks instead of re mint round caps.

I hate odd shaped and size packaging when all the coins are basically the same size/shape.

I might even put all my square cap kooks in round caps just to keep all my kooks uniform.

13. mmissinglink

Going by fishtaco's suggestion, much more than just the packaging could rightfully be called a gimmick. Many features of a simple coin could then also be considered a gimmick such as a privy mark, a .999 vs .99 or a .9999 vs .999 pure designation, the nominal currency, and the design itself all are gimmicks to get people to buy that particular 1 oz of silver instead of the less costly blob of plain old silver.

The reason why .9999 vs .999 (and the like) is a gimmick is because the difference means nothing important to anyone except those who are fooled into thinking that there's an important difference.

So virtually everyone falls for gimmicks when they buy new coins. The only difference is that some like certain gimmicks better than others. Like for example, some people really like privies but I think they are the most blatant of all gimmicks on a coin that has one. I like some OMP, others may hate any and all packaging that a coin may come in.

If someone likes a box that looks like a car or a space ship or whatever, I'm like cool, not my cup of tea but if that works for them, I am not going to stop those folks who like that.

I recently purchased on old silver coin and it came with the OMC (original mint case). The case looks like leather and is worn just as one would expect from something that was produced back then. Were it not being sold with that case, I would not have paid as much as I did and I will definitely be keeping that coin in its OMC.

So, everyone likes different gimmicks.

14. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

I definitely prefer that the semi numis stuff I get come with its original mint packaging like many probably do here (which is sometimes I challenge because I buy everything in the secondary market). But when the packaging starts to include plastic cars, or like those star trek coins' holder, etc, then it is a bit over the top to me.

If you are talking boxes and coin cases (like jewelry boxes to hold the coins, etc), then I don't think that is equivalent to cars with coins popping out of them, etc. To me the preference for the original packaging is more to increase my re-sell value, or sometimes to protect the coin (even if just protecting the original capsule from getting scuffed/scratched).

Jim

15. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

What's happening is that corporate interests have realized there's a big market of prospective buyers who'll spend long bucks on (IMO asinine) packaging and it started very shortly after the corporate interests arrived at that realization. So-called "limited mintage coins" or bars (frequently commemorating fantasy/sci-fi characters in fantasy/sic-fi fiction stories) that come in cheap little plastic boxes that look like space ships, time travel machines, miniature children's lunchboxes--or whatever--are the premier stroke of money-making genius for coin makers and marketers in recent decades. I suspect "low-numbered COA's" are probably their #2 premier stroke of money-making genius. God bless the profiteers, since nobody else will...

AND NOW......... Just to avoid my missing out on being part of one of the foremost raging crazes of the last couple decades in the coin/PM world..... I was at my LCS a week ago and I snagged a real treasure. It's a Hamilton Mint 1975 Christmas Ingot ("The Slumbering Santa" by Norman Rockwell) and most importantly it came with a numbered COA and in an unfortunately cheap little presentation case (but I guess that's how they did presentation cases forty years ago). It cost me $1.50 (USD) over spot, so I won't complain. The case may not look like a space ship, time travel machine or miniature children's lunchbox, but the price I paid was sane and acceptable.

16. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

I would actually argue your "silver in the gutter" comment is MANIFESTLY INCORRECT.
    Apart from a couple of peaks in the last 35 years the price is holding up well.
    The problem i see with people buying in the last few years is that they think the peaks SHOULD BE THE CORRECT PRICE, yet the peaks are aberrations.

17. mmissinglink

Fair point.

18. silversearcher

silversearcher Active Member Silver Stacker

I wonder if that plastic Delorian has MADE IN CHINA written on the back of it ... HAHA :)

19. GreenMotion

GreenMotion Member

I don't think people care more about the novelty coin case per se, but more about the exclusivity / mintage of said coins/set either for financial profitability or just for the rush/high of having something that is limited to a smaller number. I'll be the first one to admit that I am a sucker for "limited" editions as well, like the Star Trek transporters for instance. I don't know what it is. I really don't have any intention of flipping these, so I guess it must be the thrill of knowing I have something that is limited to 1500 pieces worldwide only. And yes, I know that logic is flawed because the actual coins are limited to 10,000 per coin I think it was and the transporter to 1500 per set, but since there are 5 sets in the series, there are in reality 7500 transporters out there.

20. kramer

kramer Member

I've picked up many $10 coins in cases / inserts etc and inevitably end up tossing the cases because they take up too much space in my storage.. All I'm after really is the coin and capsule (when available)... I guess numi coins are a different story but I loathe the space they take up.