2008 Chinese Beijing Olympic silver proof coins

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Jim4silver, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

I have the opportunity to pick up several of these (no boxes and no COAs) for $23 each. I was wondering if that is a good price? I have never seen them before nor heard of them. Much of the olympic stuff over the years seems to lose value so I am a bit hesitant to buy them. Neat looking coins though. They look like these but without boxes or COAs:

http://www.apmex.com/category/28390/china-silver-olympic-coins

Thanks for any input!

Jim

2. Beyond

Beyond Well-Known Member

23$ good price
    but be careful fake

because too cheap unbelievable

3. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

That is a good price, but you are correct assuming they are not all the popular or very hot sellers. At that price, I would probably buy them.

4. Jim4silver

They are real. This dealer pays sellers crap on foreign stuff like this, that's how I get it cheap. I am trying to get him to $20 but he won't budge.

Jim

5. Jim4silver

SUCCESS!!

I got them at $21. The dealer made me buy all he had for that price- 24 of them. Unfortunately I only have 5 different designs, and multiples of each.

The ones I got look like they are from Series 2 and Series 3. The plastic cases are a bit scruffy in the middle of each holder (kind of cloudy/scratchy?), so I put 5 of them in direct fit air tites because I can't appreciate their cool looks with crappy plastic holders (but will save them for when I sell someday). The coins themselves look PERFECT.

I saw some recent ebay sales range from 30 to 50 for the coins without the box and coa, so I guess I am ok on the deal. Thanks for the input!

Jim

6. Kam

Kam Active Member Silver Stacker

Great buy, well done.

7. Jim4silver

8. picturefun

picturefun Member

Yes, it is excellent price. Although do NOT mixed up, APMEX ones with box and COA are proof, yours are BU. Mintage has a big difference between the two. I bought some BU ones from Gainesville in 2010, $40 each on average.

Here has the pictures for all 12 designs, the whole series. 1st 4 market price should higher
    http://jcang.com.cn/goods-4328.html

9. picturefun

picturefun Member

Believe it or not, NO fake ones on the market for 2008 Beijing Olympic silver/gold coins! they have MUCH more complex technology, colorless ones like Panda are much easier to fake.

10. Jim4silver

I don't think they made BU coins like this. Mine are just like the ones in the photos that are supposedly proofs. Here is a link that shows the complete set of silver coins from the 2008 Olympics, all silver coins are proofs (1 oz) for Series 2 and Series 3 which are like mine, no BU (Unc) listed. I believe the total mintage on each of the 1 oz silver proof coins was 160,000.

If you have any links that show BU in these styles of coins I would be interested to see it. I don't know much about these coins except what I've seen online.

http://www.pandaamerica.com/details.asp?item=7190&grp=1&categ=1

Jim

11. picturefun

picturefun Member

Ok, then I guess ALL these 2008 Beijing Olympic Commemorative precious metal coins are proof. In Chinese, China Mint only calls it Jing Zhi coin, which translated into English means Proof.
    http://www.greatcang.com/goods-311.html

12. Cheepo

Cheepo New Member

Why don't you sell some of them now, since the price might as well drop over the next years?

13. picturefun

picturefun Member

For one thing, I think gold and silver price cannot go much lower from here.

Unless one needs cash badly now should sell.

otherwise, why bother?? Selling a bunch of Precious medal coins at the bottom price and for a loss, just to exchange them into a bunch of green paper and put them in the bank for 0% interest? Why would anyone do that?? totally NOT making sense.

Plus, these coins are among the BEST designed coins on this planet. They are really pieces of art.

14. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

If it were me I would sell as many as it took to get my money back and keep the rest. The ROI on an investment of zero is infinity and that is a pretty good rate of return.

15. dupbu

dupbu New Member