What a fake JM bar looks like- 1 oz. silver

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Jim4silver, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

The soft plastic the bar is in has what I call "checkered" borders in the area where the bars are cut from the other connected bars. One of my local dealers said they see Chinese fake 1 ounce bars like these JM's and also fake Silvertowne, etc. and the soft plastic has that "checkered" design like in the picture. The real Silvertowne bars in soft plastic don't have that.

Just FYI.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plated-Silv...875212?hash=item2ee81f844c:g:OaIAAOSwQoFWPV1P

Jim

2. GoldenEye

GoldenEye Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I see the seller is also stating that it's only "silver plated".

3. ryan71

ryan71 Member

The "Description" area:

"This is a silver PLATED jm bar once again PLATED silver plz dont confuse them with real silver. These are for collectors who cant afford the originals and want to add them for collection or can also be used for testing and seeing the difference from a real and a fake.Any questions plz contact me first before buying thank u"

That's pretty clear.

4. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

I saw in the ebay description the seller was not trying to scam folks. I posted to show what the fakes look like since we know 100% this is a fake, since the seller states that.

Having said that, I think this person is violating the law on some level (definitely civil, maybe criminal), since it is a counterfeit item being sold. A person can't sell fake fancy purses and Rolex watches and avoid liability by telling everyone they are fake (without permission of the company who makes the real deal). There are trademark, copyright, etc violations going on at least per US laws. The "victim" here being JM, not the person who buys the bars on ebay.

Just my opinion.

Jim

5. Bullion Pirate

Bullion Pirate New Member

I'm glad I can save almost $10 over the real thing! :rolleyes: I do see the "fake reference" as a valid point though