Suing Alibaba

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by MasterID, Nov 10, 2015.

1. MasterID

MasterID Member

2. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well I hope he loses the case then. :)

3. motorbikez

motorbikez Member Silver Stacker

"It says it is constantly improving its monitoring and enforcement of rules against counterfeits" Bulls--t Alibaba is the biggest conduit on the planet for fake s--t, the problem governments & legitimate companies have, is Alibaba doesn't give damn about fakes as long as it is making money.

4. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

5. GoldenEye

GoldenEye Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I got a full refund when Alibaba mediated with me and a Chinese company selling fake silver. Also, the seller wouldn't pay me to post the items back and so I've now got 8 fake pandas I don't know what to do with. :)

6. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Hypocrisy at its finest.

7. R8

R8 New Member

It's our right as a buyer. If it's fake and if that is not stated clearly on the description of the item then I suppose that's tatamount to cheating.

8. billybob888

billybob888 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

People who buy luxury goods from alibaba probably knows they are counterfeit most of the time, they want the luxury brands without paying the ridiculous price.

I definitely dont recommend you buying precious metal from them.

9. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

No, you don't have the right to buy faked or counterfeited goods. The companies that make the real products have a legal right to stop the flow of fakes that undermine their brand or trademark.

I think from a legal perspective eventually these companies that sue Alibaba will prevail (at least in US courts). It will be hard for Alibaba to play dumb when the items on its site are clearly fakes and even listed as fakes- fake JM bars, Silvertowne bars, NWTM bars, etc. At least if the sellers were listing the items as real (even though they were fakes) Alibaba could pretend like they didn't know the items were fakes to begin with. But in reality all these fakes seem to be listed as such, thus Alibaba must know about them yet they still let them be listed on its site. Companies like JM and Silvertowne are surely not happy their products are being faked and said fakes are put into the stream of commerce. Some folks (including myself) have stopped buying many of the brands whose products are faked on Alibaba, not just because of the risk of getting fakes here in US stores, but fear of when it comes time to sell, buyers will be less interested in buying them due to all the fakes floating around. If silver ever gets back over $25, you will see way more fakes. Unfortunately for the crooks, real silver is almost as cheap as some of the nicer fakes right now.

Of course there are other types of fake products being sold there, but I only pay attention to the fake metals.

Just my opinion.

Jim

10. picturefun

picturefun Member

Yes, same reason for those who buy cheap silver coins from Alibaba site. They want real authentic product but only at a bargain price. Otherwise, why would they PASS so many coin dealers in their own countries who have good reputation, and sell the REAL thing??

Those buyers should keep in mind, there is NO free lunch. You either pay the price for real deal, or pay cheap price for the fake.

This kind law suit is a joke. The case will drag on for a long time before they can see any reward, even if they could win. Alibaba would NEVER ever settle with them out of the court.

Same thing happens on Ebay every single day and every single hour. There are a lot of fake Mongolia wild life coins sold at below market price on Ebay. Ebay KNOWS these are fake, I personally reported a couple to Ebay, but NEVER heard back from Ebay. Why there is no law suit filed against Ebay??????????

11. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

12. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

13. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Maybe somebody needs to start setting up fake eBay & Alibaba sites to help drive the point home..? ;)

14. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think the opposite.... If it looks like they may lose why wouldnt they eventually settle out of court to avoid setting a precedent of losing such a case?

15. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

The problem with Alibaba settling with plaintiffs is that if they settled with one, then all the other companies with items being openly sold as fake and counterfeit would then sue Alibaba as well. I predict the counterfeit/fake issue will have to be addressed by Alibaba at some time and they will have to set up some process to police itself to remove sellers selling listed fakes and counterfeits on their site. Perhaps on some level they (Alibaba) think it's OK since they aren't screwing over the buyers (just the companies that make the real items)?

Just my opinion.

Jim

16. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Quite easy to add a non disclosure clause to any settlement, you cant do the same to public records :cool: